Parallels build 5600 and DHCP problems

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Softfailur, May 9, 2008.

1. ml2517

ml2517 Bit poster

Same here. Still broken. Same exact behavior as fortuna. I almost wonder if the Parralells rep even linked the right package? Why would you re-release it with the same rev?

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

no problem here I used Shared Neworking before and after upgrading

Hugh W

3. ml2517

ml2517 Bit poster

Yeah shared networking works fine. We are talking bridge networking here.

4. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Tim, I'm sad to have to report it didn't fix anything.
    It looks strange enough that the build is the exact same one as before by the way.
    I just reverted to 5584 and it works well now.

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

yes but why do you need it?
    the mac well works as a kind of router

Hugh W

6. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Because I need to get an IP from my windows server!

7. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

My reason for wishing to use a program feature is my choice. Bridged networking is broken in the new Build. The fact that you use a different method is irrelevant. Anyone who had bothered to read and comprehend the earlier would know this.

8. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Would be great if we could get an official feedback!
    Why on earth don't you invest a bit more in supporting your PAYING users, instead of bragging 1.000.000 P sells....

9. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

Yes, it's all gone very quiet, hasn't it. With luck, after the first quick fix attempt failed they're now beavering away on a solid solution but it would be nice to know.

10. STim

STim Bit poster

Yet another update to Parallels Desktop that targets to fix this problem. It took us longer this time as we wanted to confirm it with several select beta-testers first. We are still unsure that it fixes 100% of cases, so please report any difference in wireless network behavior that you may notice compared to build 5582/5584.

We are looking forward to your feedback.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  11. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

A quick first impression - it works! Bridged networking is back & has been working for at least three minutes as I write. One quirk. The VM & Host get DHCP leases (different ones!) automatically but the DHCP client log shows both IP addresses as having the VM's hostname.

12. engyew

engyew Member

I am using Windows XP SP3 and Cisco VPN 5.0.01.0600

Its strange, I can connect bridged at work but I cannot do so at home. I have to use Shared Networking at home.

13. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

Oops! Scratch this comment. Late night haste & mis-configuration on my part. All working fine at default Bridged network settings now. Many thanks to Tim & Parallels team.

14. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Yes, looks like this time it is fixed. Crossing fingers....

15. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

yes I understand that
    but what application needs the IP?

If you define your exact need then the developers can emulate your system and find a fix

An Intel Mac is in fact a unix box with the Mac OS as the primary shell

Remember Win Xp too began as a WinNT front end

the data you want may well be on your machine already if only you can find the hook
    for example there is a hidden Apache server running on your machine

For me I find the Mac OS mail and freebie nntp systems adequate for my personal use adn I have no time to be a gamer

what is your user profile?

Hugh W

16. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

OK, I apreciate your concern/comments but they have nothing to do with the problem.

Why or if I need an IP from my server is not the issue. I have apps that require this, period.

What XP is or where it came from I well know (having started with Tandy radio Shack TRS80, comming to DOS, Windows 1, 3x, 95, 98, 2000, XP and stopping there because it got junk (see Vista)!
    What the Mac is or isn't I know as well.

What you need or what fits you is good for you, but not necessarily for others and certainly not in this case.

17. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Build 5600

Guys build 5600 is under QA testing, we will provide you information soon, when recompiled build will be available

18. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Build 5600 (US) is ready, please download it and reinstall old builds, and early downloaded 5600