Parallels Coherence - Multiple Monitors with Different Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jason@jasoncross.com, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jason@jasoncross.com

jason@jasoncross.com Bit poster

Good news! I installed the demo and it now works. All monitos are now seen by Parallels as discrete and separate devices with separate resolutions!

2. hschneider

hschneider Pro

It now works as good as in Fusion, no more probs with screens of different resolutions.
    Unfortunately the Marketing Department did miss to announce this long awaited feature in a proper way.

-- Harald

3. Tall Dave

Tall Dave Bit poster

Jason and others-

I was already planning to do a trial of the competitive "VMwF" product tonight, so I also downloaded the new Parallels 5. After installing a clean version of Windows 7 on each, downloading updates and rebooting, I was able to select the "use all monitors in full screen" option in Parallels. When I right clicked on the Windows desktop and went to "change resolution", I hit the "identify" button and low and behold a "1" appeared in the middle of one screen and a "2" in the other.

When I put Parallels into Coherence mode, the windows start icon appeared in my system tray (right monitor.) Clicking on this button brought up my Windows start menu, but on the left monitor hovering above where the start button used to be. Certainly not a show stopper, but it was a little odd.

To be fair, VMwF seemed to have a hard time if I booted directly into full screen mode, but switching to "window" then back to "full screen" seemed to sort out the confusion. As my monitors are offset (corner to corner instead of side to side) and reversed (primary to the bottom right for Mac, primary to top left for Windows) the layout may just not be what the engineers anticipated.

I haven't made my mind up which product I'm going to use for my Windows 7 VMs. 20 minutes of testing each is hardly decisive. Multi-monitor support was a deal breaker for me, now I think I have two trial products to pound on this weekend. I recommend you give the trial version a shot if multi-monitor is all that held you back. And as always, YMMV....

Hope it helps!