Parallels Desktop 6 will not launch after reboot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JasonMacUser75, Dec 7, 2010.

1. JasonMacUser75

JasonMacUser75 Bit poster

Ticket # 1058937

I am in a trial period evaluating this software for personal use. I absolutely love the PD experience, and I would love to purchase this software. At this point I am very frustrated, however, and I require some assistance.

I installed the software, set-up my VM and installed Windows 7 Pro without any issues. When I reboot my Mac running OS X Snow Leopard and attempt to restart PD I receive the following error:

Unable to connect to Parallels Service.

Make sure that the prl_disp_service process is active and it is not blocked by Firewall. For details, please refer to http://kb.parallels.com/8089. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistance.

I have phoned technical support and was pleased with the support experience. We downloaded and uninstalled PD 6 and reinstalled it again and it fixed the problem. As soon as I rebooted my Mac I got the same error again. I don't have hours upon hours to work on this, and at this point I am about ready to give up on this software and seek out another solution.

I tried the Terminal commands suggested on the knowledge base article without any luck.

NOTE: I noticed under Preferences when the PD 6 is attempting to launch there isn't a location selected for the VM. When I attempt to select the right folder for the VM it gives the error: Invalid arguement - and then crashes.

Please help!

Thank you!

2. JasonMacUser75

JasonMacUser75 Bit poster

Ok...

Since no one is responding, and since I don't have all day to work on these issues. I am uninstalling PD 6 and moving on to try the next solution.

Thanks.

3. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Hi.

Sorry for delayed answer. Could you please post here output of follow command preformed form Terminal app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app):

ls -le /Libraries/Preferences/Parallels

4. KerstinH

KerstinH Bit poster

Hi Sandro,

I got nearly the sam problem with my VM and tried after reading your answer the terminal command: Here is the output:
    $ ls -le /Libraries/Preferences/Parallels
    ls: /Libraries/Preferences/Parallels: No such file or directory

Hopefully you can help me, because I need urgently access to my VM. The problem started after reinstalling PD 6.0 because I got problems starting my VM after installing the last update three days ago. Afterwards I wasn't able to access my VM directly. The following message came up

Unable to perform the operation in this session. You should disable the confirmation mode in this session to be able to perform this operation.

I didn't know what meant but found a work around like already mentioned in a other thread by stopping the VM, then I had to write my admin password in and then the VM starts. But after going in stand by or restarting it always were like this. So I reinstalled PD 6.0 and now the VM does not even boot!

I'm working with a MacBookPro with 8 MB RAM.

Looking forward for any working solution - please help!
    Thank you in advance

5. sandro

please send us problem report and post here it id. In order to do it:

1. either go to Help->Report a Problem menu
    2. or open Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and perform there follow command:

prlsrvctl problem-report --send --stand-alone

6. KerstinH

KerstinH Bit poster

Hi Alexander,

thank you for the fast reply.
    Here is the Ticket ID: 1062038. I got another one by mail its: 1062032.
    Hope this help you to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance
    Kerstin

7. sandro

Kerstin.

Provided tickets don't contain necessary technical info. Please provide problem report as i described above.

8. Alex_S

Alex_S Bit poster

My VM crashes just after being started.

9. STim

STim Bit poster

KerstinH,

Please check if there are any checkboxes set at Virtual Machine->Configure->Options->Security->Require password to... group.

If there are, please uncheck them and try to start the VM again. Will it help get rid of the message?

10. Alex_S

Alex_S Bit poster

My VM crashes just after the start. Never happened before. I suppose it happened after the automatic update from yesterday.

What should I do next?
    Alex

11. Alex_S

Alex_S Bit poster

Hallo here is Alex_S. I have no passwords saved. The VM crashes without any message if I try to restart it.

12. STim

STim Bit poster

Alex_S,

Your case is different. When it crashes next time, please send problem report and post here its ID. We need to look into it to.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  13. rauckr

rauckr Member

VM Fails to Launch

Hi KerstinH,

Your problem was identical to mine. When you get to the VM Launch window, select the Stop command under Virtual Machine (before launching) and dismiss the password request. You will then be able to launch. It is a pain but perhaps the simplest work around and you will be functional despite the bug.

14. Alex_S

Alex_S Bit poster

Hi Tim. Here some ID's 7350494, 7350725, 7351214.

The problem is the Parallels crashes just after the VM start.

Meanwhile the Technical Support (Kazi Azhar Iqbal) suggested an update, providing with the purchase link instead... A bad joke.

Should I better try reinstalling the Parallels?

Greetings
    Alex

15. STim

STim Bit poster

Alex,

I recommend you to update Parallels Desktop. I will send you the link in private messages shortly.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  16. KerstinH

KerstinH Bit poster

Hi Tim, hi Rauckr,

thanks a lot for the work around tip -> it did work! After stopping the VM and unchecking the passwordbox I easily could launch my VM! Thank you very much ... you only have to know how...
    Kerstin

17. Alex_S

Alex_S Bit poster

Dear Tim

I just repeat the private message of mine: as you recommended I have downloaded the update of my Switch to Mac edition and than failed to activate it (!?). I posted in my MobileMe Gallery two screenshots I made whilst trying to activate. Any ideas Why?

Thank you for your help.
    Greetings
    Alex

18. Alex_S

Alex_S Bit poster

Hi Tim, just not sure I have posted the message. Please read my private letter. The problem is the activation key I possess is being rejected during the new activation after the download. I posted the printscreens in my gallery.
    Thank you for your help. Alex

http://gallery.me.com/asuchin#100176

19. STim

STim Bit poster

KerstinH - glad to have you up and running!

Alex - replied via private messages

20. Alex_S

Alex_S Bit poster

Dear Tim
    it fails to activate the update. Error "Use the appropriate Parallels Product to activate the licence". New Printscreens attached. Thanks. Alex
    http://gallery.me.com/asuchin#100184