Parallels in Catalina: Office 365 (in Windows) crashes the Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by RolandB8, Oct 13, 2019.

1. RolandB8

RolandB8 Bit Poster

I discovered a problem: When a Windows 10 (with latest updates) runs in Parallels, and I start a Office 365 application (Word, OneNote, etc....), then the screen freezes for some seconds and the Mac crashes, which means the Mac makes a reboot. I am very sure, this crash only happens because of Office 365.
    My configuration: Mac mini 2018 with 32GB, with eGPU ASUS XG Station Pro with Radeon Rx 580.
    I made a clean install with Catalina, using Parallels 15 with latest updates, using in Parallels Windows 10 with latest updates.
    Does anybody have the same problem? Does anybody know how to solve it?
    Beside that: Parallels on Mac runs very stable with Windows 10!

2. RolandB8

RolandB8 Bit Poster

Also important to mention: this crashes only occurs with a eGPU (only external displays), with my MacBook Pro 2017 no crashes at all with Parallels 15 (same image as on Mac mini)

3. MikeK17

MikeK17 Bit Poster

Hello
    That is right. The Mac crash, when you have a egpu with an external display. I've the same problem with a MacBook Pro 2018 13", AMD Radeon 580 and an external display. I develop with VBA and my Mac crashes daily. But when I start Parallels 15 and Windows 10 and Office 2016 without the external display then my Mac does not crash. I hope the bug will resolved... (for Parallel: it's not a feature, it's a bug :()

4. IvanD@Parallels

IvanD@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello RolandB8 and MikeK17,
    Can you check the issue on the latest Parallels Desktop 15 build available for download here? In case Mac still crashes after installing the update collect technical report after restarting the Mac and starting Parallels Desktop without eGPU/external monitor connected to avoid the crash. This data will help the Engineering team to investigate the root cause of crashes.

5. MikeK17

MikeK17 Bit Poster

Hello Parallels-Team

With the new version and the external monitor and start of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016, the Mac still crashes. I have send a technical report.

6. IvanD@Parallels

IvanD@Parallels Parallels Support

Thanks, MikeK17.

Somehow panic.log is missing in the collected technical report. I created a ticket for you to ask for some logs from your Mac which should help to find the root cause of the issue.

7. Tom24

Tom24 Bit Poster

I get this issue too, I've just crashed three times this morning trying to write an e-mail. Report has been sent. Latest versions of Mac Os and Parallels

8. Tom24

Tom24 Bit Poster

This the report that gets generated after a crash:
    BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available

Just back from the 4th crash - unticking prefer eGPU yields no improvement.
    - Catalina 10.15.1
    - Paralllels 15.1.1
    - Windows 10 1903 18362.418

9. Tom24

Tom24 Bit Poster

What seems to be working for me for the past half an hour or so is disabling hardware acceleration in outlook. It can be found in File > Options > Advanced tab > Display subheading, tick the checkbox "Disable Hardware Graphics acceleration". Of course this requires going into the application, I'm sure there is a registry option that you could change if you aren't able to make this change quick enough.

Although this was in Outlook, there is a similar option for Word/Excel etc