"Parallels International GmbH" does not appear in Security & Privacy settings during v14 install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LewInVT, Oct 15, 2018.

1. TanT2

TanT2 Bit poster

I didn't take a screenshot and it doesn't happen anymore so I can't reproduce it, but it's exactly the same as in message #7, i.e. a prompt to hit Allow in the Security control panel but no message appears and no Allow button to click.

2. UlrichM4

UlrichM4 Bit poster

Hello,
    here is one solution I found. One reason for this behaviour may be that Parallels or macOS is trying to get some information regarding license or something else from the parallels servers. We have activated SSL deep packet inspection in our firewall. And the firewall is using a privatly signed Root CA SSL certificate to recrypt the SSL traffic. Parallels seems to not use the private Root CA certificate stored in macOS system keyring for verification.
    After deactivating SSL deep inspection during parallels first start after installation/update everything worked fine. Parallels is starting. No message regarding any kernel extension.

3. DanaP

DanaP Bit poster

This was my problem as well. I am connected via a corporate VPN all day long and was getting this behavior after updating. Had to jump off the VPN, start parallels on my local network. After starting that first time it works great on the VPN.

4. DominikR2

DominikR2 Bit poster

Hello,
    I encounter the same problem. I am running MacOS Big Sur (11.2.3) and I am not using VPN (internet works fine). I have Parallels 16.1.3 installed. When I start the Parallels Desktop App, I see the window with the Windows10 button. I click on it and after a short while a window pops up that tells me that I need to allow the Parallels Hypervisor System Extension (screenshot attached). I then click the blue button to open the Security & Privacy details of my system preferences. I see no allo button there (screenshot attached).
    What could be the issue and how can I solve it without digging deep into my operating system?
    Thanks!
    Dominik

Attached Files:

5. DominikR2

DominikR2 Bit poster

I solved the above issue. I found this solution by DynDuo:
    1. Restarted my computer in recovery mode (Cmd-r)
    2. Start the "utilities" (which is not one of the four choices offered prominently in the middle of the screen but hidden in the menu bar)
    3. Choose Terminal
    4. Enter "csrutil disable"
    5. Restart the computer
    Because this disables an essential security feature of my mac, this is really not a viable solution and I would like to see Parallels step in here and offering a proper solution.

6. CharlesD13

CharlesD13 Bit poster

has this issues been fixed yet I'm having the same issues there no button for me to press

7. brconflict

brconflict Bit poster

This issue has reared its ugly head again in Monterey. Same issue. "Allow Parallels Extension" appears, but nothing is found to approve or permit (that hasn't been already). Reboot didn't fix.

8. iskenderg

iskenderg Bit poster

Hi, This work for me.
    MacOS Monterey ver.12.4
    Parallels for desktop 17.1.3

9. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, great. Please reach us back for any further queries.

10. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

Hi, I've the same issue in Monterey. When I try to start a VM, the Updated System Extension message appears, asking me to open the Security panel and confirm "Parallels International GmbH".
    But the Security pane doesn't show the name of the developer and the Allow button. I've restarted the Mac. There is no antivirus software running. Parallels has worked fine up untile before upgrading to Monterey.
    I'm locked out of two essential programs I need to work. Please help!
    Paolo

11. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

The "spctl kext-consent add 4C6364ACXT" trick didn't work for me. I entered it while in recovery mode, then restarted, but then PD presented me again the request to allow it extension. I'm really in a dark hour.
    Paolo

12. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

I've run the repairHomePermissions command in recovery mode, and then reinstalled Monterey from there. No change: Parallels 18 continues to ask me for authorizing its extension when trying to run a VM, and then there is no extension to allow.

upload_2023-8-8_14-41-4.png

upload_2023-8-8_14-41-23.png
    Please help!

13. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

I've checked the permissions with PermissionScanner, and I found that the following files can't be changed, or are locked:

/Library/Preferences/Parallels [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 755 ].
    /Library/Preferences/Parallels/dispatcher.desktop.xml [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 644 ].
    /Library/Preferences/Parallels/vmdirectorylist.desktop.xml [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 644 ].
    /Library/Preferences/Parallels/parallels_dhcp_leases [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 644 ].
    /Library/Preferences/Parallels/parallels-desktop.loc [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 644 ].
    /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 644 ].
    /Library/Preferences/Parallels/licenses.json [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 644 ].
    /Library/Preferences/Parallels/Aliases/{72b1b0d8-4e99-4eba-86aa-52a26e1a8a72}.{7197dc48-a5ea-4db9-8230-471a86d5621c}_alias [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 644 ].
    /Library/Preferences/Parallels/Aliases/{6ed69b6d-77bc-4af1-9b1e-478f134847d4}.{7197dc48-a5ea-4db9-8230-471a86d5621c}_alias [ ❌ Owner root ❓ Permissions 644 ].

This, even after the permission repair and OS reinstall I described above. Maybe this is where the problem resides?
    Paolo

14. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

Finally found a workaround, even if I don't know how satisfactory - I changed the hypervisor to Apple's, both for my Windows 10 and MacOS Sierra VMs. They started, and seem to work fine.

I can breathe, and can go on with my job. Yet, I would like to solve this issue. Parallels defaults to their hypervisor, so I presume it should be the better one. Please don't let this thread end here!

Paolo

15. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

(I'm sorry to have to add posts, but there is no way to edit the older ones).
    Running the Apple hypervisor doesn't seem to give the same results. For example, I can't run some InDesign scripts that worked flawlessly with the Parallels hypervisor. Also, New/edited folders are not immediately recognized in the VM.
    Paolo

16. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

Contrary to what I believed, it looks like Parallels themselves suggest the use of Apple's hypervisor in normal usage (at least, this was trued with PD 16):
    https://www.parallels.com/blogs/system-extensions-big-sur/
    So, it looks like I can ignore the Parallel's one. At the same time, I think this issue has to be solved.
    Paolo