Parallels Tools for Kali Linux 2020.1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by cas, Jan 27, 2020.

1. GianB

GianB Bit poster

Unfortunately it seems that Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition is still behind as it says I'm on the latest which is 15.1.3 (47255) - Would appreciate a speedy resolution also for Business Edition please?

2. GianB

GianB Bit poster

Actually I still went ahead and attempted an update of PT with the version I have, and after installing the latest - it worked for me too.

3. TheN

TheN Junior Member

Is there any solution for PD 14? I don't feel like upgrading since the PD 14 already costed 100 bucks.

4. TeroRERO

TeroRERO Bit poster

Dear Sirs,

Parallels Tools only support more recent Kernels in the more recent versions of Parallels Desktop. You can simply replace the prl-tools-lin.iso in your old installation with the current from the demo.

Because doing all that by hand is pretty lame, I wrote a short Bash script that performs the following:
    1. Download the current demo of Parallels Desktop to /tmp/pd.dmg
    2. Mount the DMG
    3. Replace the old prl-tools-lin.iso with the newer downloaded one.
    4. Unmount the DMG
    5. Delete the DMG
    6. Disable Auto-Updates of Parallels Tools (otherwise, the Host will try to reinstall Tools on every Guest boot)
    Fix
    Feel free to try it, but make sure that you adjust the paths, especially the last one, which is the path to your Parallels VM file. Make sure to shutdown your VM and quit Parallels Desktop before!
    -----
    curl "https://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd/?mode=trial" -L --output /tmp/pd.dmg && \
    hdiutil attach /tmp/pd.dmg && \
    cp /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop\ */Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools/prl-tools-lin.iso /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools && \
    hdiutil detach /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop\ * && \
    rm /tmp/pd.dmg && \
    sed -i '' '/<AutoUpdate dyn_lists="">/ { N; s/1/0/; }' /Users/terorero/Parallels/Kali-Linux-2020.1-amd64.pvm/config.pvs
    ----

Now, that your Parallels Desktop is patched, you can install Parallels Tools as usual - even in newly created VMs - via the menu.
    Source:
    https: // n-thumann.de/blog/running-newer-linux-kernels-in-older-parallels-desktop-versions/

5. TeroRERO

TeroRERO Bit poster

Dear,
    Do you have news?

6. MaryM5

MaryM5 Bit poster

Yes, It would be great if a solution can be there for PD14.

7. TeroRERO

TeroRERO Bit poster

8. clure

clure Bit poster

Once again... and like last time... after I upgrade my kali today, I cannot make it work...
    Third time this year... 3 months ago, same pb, had to wait a week for PD to issue an upgrade so it could work. And now again...
    I think I'll cancel my subscription to the Pro Version
    I'm using PD Version 15.1.4 (47270) and Kali 2020.05.12
    Please fix it ASAP.
    Thx

SeanGibb likes this.
  9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Our engineers are working hard to add support for Kali 2020. Once it is fully supported by Parallels we would add it to the list of supported guest OS's. At this time we do not have a fixed date for adding support for Kali 2020.

10. clure

clure Bit poster

It's been nearly a month and still no news/no update... I'm starting to regret the bucks I spend on the Pro edition....
    Can you please update ? Thx.

11. All Kali Linux 2020 issues are currently under investigation with the Parallels Engineering Team.
    We're doing our best to resolve this asap. Once we get any news we will let you know and share all results and updates in public.
    Thank you for understanding.

12. KennethD6

KennethD6 Bit poster

Encountering the same problem. I'll be waiting for the solution!

13. MichaelC26

MichaelC26 Bit poster

I'm kinda stuck with the same issue on 2020.2
    Eagerly waiting to hear good news

DaviS1 likes this.
  14. MacHelp

MacHelp Junior Member

yes still waiting on same issue.

15. AlcidesR

AlcidesR Bit poster

Hello,

I'm facing exact the same issue ID: 342996253

PD: 15
    Kali: 2020.2

Regards,

16. PaulM48

PaulM48 Bit poster

I am having the same issue as well
    PD: 15
    Kali: 2020.2

17. Parallels Engineering Team are currently working on the issue. We will update you as soon as possible.
    Thanks for understanding.

18. SeanGibb

SeanGibb Bit poster

I agree with most of the comments made from the other users of PD. The various PD editions need to work with latest versions and updates for Kali. In most cases Kali is an instrumental tool in the the development lifecycle of products. Folks cannot wait months for patches and fixes surrounding Kali.

MacOS 10.15.5
    PD Pro 15.1.4
    Kali 2020.2

19. RussellM2

RussellM2 Bit poster

I'm also stuck with kernel modules while installing PT with latest version PD 15.1.4 and Kali 2020-07-01 :(

20. PeriklisM

PeriklisM Bit poster

I can't believe it's been more than 3 months since people have reported issues with Kali Linux 2020.2 and Parallel tools and there is still no solution!
    Has the technical team given up or we are still waiting for a solution?