PD 10 with guest Win 7: drag and drop between two display is broken in fullscreen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by lnemo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Hi there,

I use several VMs with Win7 as guest and a two-monitor setup with the appropriate settings enabled. Since PD 10, I simply can't move an icon/file between the two displays in full-screen mode. This happens with all VMs. Tried a Parallels tools clean install - no impact.

The mouse overlay symbol shown when arriving on the second display indicates that the other display is treated like the host would be when dragging and dropping an item out of the VM window (overlay icon is a folder).

Moving program windows between the displays works as usual.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

2. MikeMcD

MikeMcD Bit poster

Same problem for me. Would love an answer. I've resorted to cutting (CTRL-X) and pasting (CTRL-V) to move files/folders/icons between screens.

MM

3. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

I too am having this issue. If you open a folder on the second screen (when in full screen mode) and try to drag a file onto the first screen, it doesn't work. But if you move the folder to the first screen and drag the file to somewhere on the same screen, it works fine. This is very annoying.

4. chiang

chiang Junior Member

I have the same problem: drag file from first monitor to second monitor.

I have update to version 10.0.1 (27695), is there any new version ???
    tks.

5. chiang

chiang Junior Member

sorry, guys, I can not wait anymore. I need a stable working env.

I think I should wait a stable pd 10, so I decide to down grade to pd9.
    after down grade to pd9, everything is going fine.

6. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

This happens to me also. I actually think this is a mouse capturing issue. Open up one VM full screen and another in a window on a different space (diff monitor works too). Open up notepad or some other program in one of the vms. Make sure the mouse cursor changes to the (I) cursor. Now move your mouse to the first machine (the non-fullscreen one) and the cursor looks normal. Click it and the Mac OSX cursor shows up. And no matter what you do it will not correctly capture the cursor. Weirdly, if moving the mouse around the screen a bunch of times will eventually capture the mouse, but then the other virtual machine has the capture issue.

Reason I mention this is because when you drag & drop files between either two machines or host/machine, the "active" captured cursor VM is used as a drop point. But since the correct machine can't be captured, dragging & dropping does nothing as it thinks you are dropping into the same VM again.

7. chiang

chiang Junior Member

mmm... In the forum, we can find many wired problem in pd10, I think we should down grade and wait the stable version. zzz... a little sad.

8. MikeMcD

MikeMcD Bit poster

After updating to Version 10.0.2 (27712), I am no longer seeing this issue. No mention was made in the patch notes, but it's possible that it has been fixed.

9. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Woohoo! Fixed the cursor issue as well. Awesome!

10. chiang

chiang Junior Member

cool, may I know is the problem resolved? (mouse click and drag for text selection in text editor or browser but selection status is not stable)
    tks.

11. MikeMcD

MikeMcD Bit poster

Well, I was wrong -- not fixed. Still happening.

12. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi,

Please try the following and let us know how it goes!

- Go to Virtual Machine Configure (http://kb.parallels.com/117287) -> Hardware -> Mouse & Keyboard -> SmartMouse : "Optimize for games"

13. chiang

chiang Junior Member

sorry, I am in pd9 so I can not try it now, but I remember that I ever try "Optimize for games" in pd10 and no help for this problem.
    maybe MM can try this setting in pd 10 newest version. :)

14. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

The issue is not only occurring in full screen. For example, if I have Win8.1 open on
    one display in full screen, and say Win7 (or even XP) VM in window mode on the
    other screen, the only way I can move files between the to is to copy to the Mac
    desktop on the screen with the VM in window mode, then to the destination.

15. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Our developers are aware of this issue and are working on it. This issue will be resolved in the upcoming builds.
    Please subscribe to http://kb.parallels.com/122720 so once there is a new build, you will be notified.

16. WorldIRC

WorldIRC Member

What about when working with 2 monitors of different resolution? Monitor 1: Retina Monitor 2: Standard 1080P. When dragging a window between both screens, the resolution doesn't adjust properly and gets blurry.

17. SébastienG

SébastienG Bit poster

Have the same issue. Thought, maybe it's Windows relative...

Is it possible to create virtual monitors ?

18. Robert Larson

Robert Larson Bit poster

Fixed in latest release!

19. Robert Larson

Robert Larson Bit poster

I say fixed. I can drag files across screens, but you can tell Parallels is still having a hard time figuring out which screen it's in across multiple monitors. Mouse Pointer keeps toggling between black and white. PD 10 on OS X Mavericks.

20. Dave_O'Rourke

Dave_O'Rourke Bit poster

Not fixed. PD 10.1.1. OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Windows 8.1 guest OS. Full screen, extended across 2 monitors. Just click-n-drag across multiple screens on the Windows desktop, and Parallels loses the mouse drag almost every time. It only keeps the drag alive if you drag *really* slowly across monitors. This bug affects all drag operations that span monitors, most notably dragging a window by its title bar over to another screen, also drag-n-drop across multiple screens.
    Also, if you look closely as the mouse crosses from one monitor to another, the cursor flickers between black and white as the previous poster noted. It's clear that Parallels is having trouble in this case.