PD8 Parallels 8 tools

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Fly, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Fly

Fly Junior Member

Will not install into Windows 8 VM. Get window saying there was a problem updating tools and to reboot. A KB article says to reinstall Parallels. This goes nowhere....ie, seems to begin the install process, but it never completes. Have tried several times. Same result.

(MacPro, Lion)

2. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi,
    thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

3. KevinReitz

KevinReitz Bit poster

Tools not right

I noticed that the 'yellow' installer goes to 57%, then does it's crash loop thingie. Now I cannot get 7 to load either. Spent DAY yesterday trying to work thru with no help from Support (Am I the only one frustrated by the complexity and lack of endpoint contact with anyone ay Support? Worse I have ever encountered!). Will try to strip all files of 7 & 8, then try reinstall of 7, as that will not load tools either (FileVault is disabled).

I had this trouble once before with Parallels and switched to VMware Fusion for a few years. Maybe time to go back.

Kevin

4. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi,
    thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

5. KevinReitz

KevinReitz Bit poster

Report #17656449

Sent report 2 mins ago. ID #17656449. If this reply is for real, a lot of people will be interested.

Until this and several other errors are straight, I would recommend NOT UPGRADING to v.8 if your computer is essential part of making a living! This is my second day with no access to Client work and they are rather pi_ _ _ _ d! Hate to loose Clients because of faulty tools.

6. Fly

Fly Junior Member

did the problem report.....17656632

7. KevinReitz

KevinReitz Bit poster

Report #17656449

No, that was the number of the Problem Report generated by program & sent to Parallels. Just wanted to give them reference they were looking for and make their life easier. But, given round two of this, I wonder why? My fault for going back to Parallels. Fusion is actually better in many areas. Now I cannot remember why I switched back.

8. Fly

Fly Junior Member

I was only reporting my report number for convenience of Parallels monitors

9. juzci

juzci Guest

Thank you, guys, I've sent your report to our development, we will investigate it.

Regards,
    Hanna

10. KevinReitz

KevinReitz Bit poster

Reinstall 7 Issue

Whatever it is, it now will not let me install tools on a reinstall of 7. I even deleted almost all files associated with Parallels on my Mac so any contaminant would be removed. Now 2 days without access and first Client just threatened to leave. So, if Win is critical, DO NOT touch Parallels if it is working. Now I have to go thru the whole setup routine with Fusion so I can earn a living. Same as last time with Parallels. Hopefully I learned this time!

11. D Devine

D Devine Bit poster

Similar issue

Experiencing similar issue.

Parallels Tools installer fails and needs to "roll-back" (it did this on PD7 upgrade only one month ago).
    No possibility of installing the Tools package (and coherence) from the upgrade *.dmg that I downloaded?

Really frustrated. Why would you folks send this out before a 3-day weekend!

Can give more info about problem, but looks like there are already enough data points.

DD

12. KevinReitz

KevinReitz Bit poster

Tools Issue Update 09.01.12

Spent over 2 full hours on phone with Support yesterday. He worked remotely and did about everything logic would dictate doing (uninstall Norton, shut down all services, etc.) and ran various logs. He could not get it to work on v.7 either. 'Escalated' case to what I am guessing are the code folks to see if they could figure it out. Said usually back to customer w/in 24 hours, or around 3:00pm EST. Just an FYI for those looking at same issue.

Kevin

13. D Devine

D Devine Bit poster

Got it working!

This may not apply to some of you. If you're problem was different, I expect your fix will be too.

Rebooted OSX after several Windows 7/VM reboots, and Parallels then allowed me to re-install the "Parallels Tools" package. The option from the VirtualMachines menu was now available, so I proceeded with trepidation.

After successful installation of Parallels Tools, the Windows VM wanted to reboot again. Proceeded to an almost completely black screen with a small white rectangle wanting my password. Entered correctly here and Windows finished it's boot in process. Things went smooth after this point.

Not sure if it's going to keep working. Fingers crossed.

Good luck fellow installers!

DD

14. juzci

juzci Guest

Thank you everyone for posting. Kevin, we do have your ticket escalated to development team and we are working on it, really.

15. KevinReitz

KevinReitz Bit poster

Thanx

Hope they are. This is now 3rd or 4th day w/out access to critical Win program needed to service Client and they are not happy! Hoping to have things done Tue for them.

16. saulgoodman

saulgoodman Bit poster

Having exact same problem any update???

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  17. KevinReitz

KevinReitz Bit poster

Fix may be in works

I spent about 6 hours with TechSupport on Wed. He also had the opportunity to bring someone from the development team into the session. From what I gather, they were able to ID a problem by working thru my system and it's errors. Not sure that's accurate, but it was my impression. I ended up, after 5 days without Windows machine, loading v.8 and doing a clean install of Win7. Today will be massive catch-up day, so I'll post if there is still an issue. Good Luck!

18. saulgoodman

saulgoodman Bit poster

How'd you fix it?

19. saulgoodman

saulgoodman Bit poster

ANY UPDATE?

Starting to get pissed off

20. kdubinwa

kdubinwa Bit poster

Me too

Just encountered same problem after upgrading to P8. My Win7 VM tries to run Tool install and fails with reboot. No trouble shooting seems to help.

Need a fix ASAP.