RAM required for Windows 7 Professional

scottoham

Bit poster
hi -

i am new to both Parallels, and the Mac world.
i have just bought an Imac and have had Parallels 6 installed at the store.
i need still to buy and install Windows 7 Professional and want to use the XP mode so i can run some existing "older" programs.
the blogs i have read suggest that this will require 2 gigs of ram ( my imac has 8 ).
without knowing how ram is dedicated or allocated to virtual windows in parallels, does anyone have both Win 7 Professional with XP mode, and Snow Leopard running and can you suggest how much ram is required to run each?

thanks,
scottoham
 
Memory Win 7

hi -

i am new to both Parallels, and the Mac world.
i have just bought an Imac and have had Parallels 6 installed at the store.
i need still to buy and install Windows 7 Professional and want to use the XP mode so i can run some existing "older" programs.
the blogs i have read suggest that this will require 2 gigs of ram ( my imac has 8 ).
without knowing how ram is dedicated or allocated to virtual windows in parallels, does anyone have both Win 7 Professional with XP mode, and Snow Leopard running and can you suggest how much ram is required to run each?

thanks,
scottoham

I have Win 7 Pro running and I am using 2GB. This plenty for what I am doing. Before starting your Win 7 VM just start Parallels and go to the VM list on the toolbar and open the list and go to configure and it will open up to a mempry allocation page set it there.

Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
 
That is too bad. I just bought Parallel the other day, but I am already using Windows 7. I think I have to downgrade my OS to XP or Vista at least. I don't have enough money to upgrade my RAM to 2GB at this time. :(
 
Win 7

You don't have to run it at 2 GB, that's just whats recommended, but you can run it at the default setting which is 1 GB for 64 bit Win 7 and 768 MB for 32 bit Win 7.
 
hi -

i am new to both Parallels, and the Mac world.
i have just bought an Imac and have had Parallels 6 installed at the store.
i need still to buy and install Windows 7 Professional and want to use the XP mode so i can run some existing "older" programs.
the blogs i have read suggest that this will require 2 gigs of ram ( my imac has 8 ).
without knowing how ram is dedicated or allocated to virtual windows in parallels, does anyone have both Win 7 Professional with XP mode, and Snow Leopard running and can you suggest how much ram is required to run each?

thanks,Discount Golf
scottoham

I feel I need to manage too much. Incredible!
 
Could you please some one tell me that what is standard RAM size require parallel 7 and windows 7 so that I can get better performance.


______
NaszmulT
text-smiley.png
 
When I was running the beta I noticed that my my desktop used about 1.5Gigs but the OS would cache almost the entire rest of my 8 Gigs of ram. So in essences you need at the very least 2 Gigs and I would say 4+ for optimal performance......

Regards,
Berry
 
Back
Top