Random Mac reboots

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by YuriS, Oct 13, 2010.

1. YuriS

YuriS Bit poster

hi,

After upgrading to Parallels version 6: virtual machine Windows 7 causes random reboots of my Mac. I lost valuable information several times, and today virtual machine itself got corrupted and I cannot boot it, at all. Most times reboots happened when I tried to restart virtual machine or establish VPN connection from it. Any ideas or suggestions? I cannot work normally.

2. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Run Apple provided system tools, provided on your original Mac installation disks, and contact Apple for help. This looks like hardware issues.

3. NightwalkerSB

NightwalkerSB Bit poster

Not even close to hardware issues. I had to uninstall and install parallels and restore virtual machine from snapshot.

4. EmmaR

EmmaR Bit poster

Having the same issue. Often happens when I am RDP'ed to another machine or browsing the network from Windows browser.

5. NightwalkerSB

NightwalkerSB Bit poster

Today in the morning the computer restarted itself again. I did not even work at that time–but Parallels with Windows 7 were running since yesterday. It restarted just out of the blue.
    Does anybody from Parallels read this? Any ideas? Any fixes? Any service pack upcoming?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. Trefptyc

Trefptyc Parallels Developers

Please we need your reports

Hi!

Please could everybody in this thread who faces the reboot problem post us a problem report and publish its number within this thread (or send me a private message with it)

In order to create report do the following:
    1) Start your Windows 7 VM (the one you've worked with while the reboot occured)
    2) Pass focus to it
    3) Help -> Report a problem -> Send report

Best regards,
    Anna

7. khcole

khcole Bit poster

I have had the same problem yesterday and today. Random reboot after clicking on a diaglog box in Windows 7 running under Parallels 6.

8. khcole

khcole Bit poster

Same here. Any ideas? Windows 7 and Parallels 6. Two reboots, two days in a row, after clicking on a dialog box in Windows.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

khcole, please send a problem-report and post here the report-id

10. NightwalkerSB

NightwalkerSB Bit poster

Report ID 6947189

11. DocSavage

DocSavage Bit poster

I have the same issue - it even froze while I was trying to submit the report and I had to reset the mac :)

Problem # 6961456

-Andy

12. BradleyS

BradleyS Bit poster

Problem # 7017041

13. BradleyS

BradleyS Bit poster

Same issue

Problem # 7017041

Has happened 4 times in 2 months since upgrading to v6.

I have even added more RAM thinking that was the issue.

14. khalidabuhakmeh

khalidabuhakmeh Bit poster

Having the same issue

I didn't think a VM could affect the host OS but it sure does. I have my VM (Windows 7) running for several hours, everything is working great. Out of the blue, my screen goes black and then the mac boot screen comes up and my mac restarts.

I was running VirtualBox and a trial of VMWare Fusion with no problems, they are not as responsive as Parallels but never crashed my mac.

Now I am wondering if I should get a refund before it is too late.

I am running a macbook intel core duo with Snow Leopard, 4 gigs or ram, and a 500 gig hard drive.

My macbook only restarts when running a virtual environment with Parallels, otherwise I can leave my mac on for days.

15. dayaae

dayaae Bit poster

Hi There, I am also experiencing re-boots of a Windows 7 32 bit VM. I updated to Parallels 6 yesterday, and it has been a bit of a nightmare so far. Mac OS is 10.6.5 with all latest updates, and Parallels 6 build 6.0.11990. After the install of V6 on starting a win7 VM (not the VM with this issue) the update of the Parallels tools did not complete and the VM needed to be stopped. The machine became corrupted and I spent most of yesterday trying to recover it as it backs up other environments. Anyway I came to the conclusion that I needed to start afresh so started this standby VM with a view to moving the original VM function to this system. Unfortunately it has crashed Mac OS twice within a couple of hours, so I am not confident it will be stable. I have submitted a report for this second issue - the ID is 74288976 Any help would be very much appreciated.

16. Mars Sjoden

Mars Sjoden Bit poster

Windows 7 Ult & PD 7

Yup Random Hard Crashes on my Mac 10.6.5.

I don't know if this is a spotlight issue against the VM... Or if there is a Share issue across the network causing crashes.

Starting to get SnapShot errors warning that SnapShots can not be made.

17. beta_lumrt

beta_lumrt Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

18. beta_lumrt

beta_lumrt Bit poster

After creating a new VM from scratch, and uninstalling Parallels V6 and then reinstalling it (at a new level of 6.0.11992) I am still experiencing instability of the MAC OS - which is now rebooting when a VM is active. I have submitted a second report ID 7438953. Considering version 5 was very stable I am very unhappy with V6 at this time, and currently am unable to run a VM for more than a couple of hours. I am considering going back to V5 and getting a refund for v6. I also tried to open a support request but seem to be getting re-directed in circles - not sure if this is a temporary glitch with the support site - will try again later.

19. ride

ride Bit poster

Same Problem

Report 8902801

Happens 3 times in two days after moving to Windows 7 (a fresh installed copy). No such problems with a Windows XP VM before.

20. dayaae

dayaae Bit poster

Hi, I posted about this in December last year - after spending hours and hours without resolving the problem, and providing lots of detailed information to the support guys my system was very unstable and unreliable, I dont know how many times I rebuilt VM's - in the end I went back to Parallels 5, rebuilt my VM's from scratch on V5 and with NO OTHER CHANGES AT ALL the system is now rock solid again and has not failed since going back to Version 5.
    HW is a Mac Mini with all the latest patches.
    VM is windows 7.
    Parallels is now V5
    I am very disappointed that this issue looks like it may still be ongoing.
    Are any of the people who posted last year about this now running stable on V6 and windows 7 ?