Shared clipboard not working with i3wm

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MichaelR38, Nov 29, 2018.

1. MichaelR38

MichaelR38 Bit poster

Hello!
    I have currently issues using a shared clipboard between mit host OS (MacOS) and guest (Ubuntu). If I use the default window manager, everything works as expected. But if I log out and log in again using i3wm, the clipboard is not working any more. Even the resolution is not updated dynamically as it is in the case of the default window manager, but that part is not critical. The Parallels Tools are installed, but I have a feeling that they are not running when I start i3wm.
    Would be great if you can help me with this issue. Thanks!

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @MichaelR38 , please try reinstalling Parallels Tools and check if that works.

3. MichaelR38

MichaelR38 Bit poster

I've already tried it for a couple of times - same results. But somehow they work as long as I'm in the default window manager. The problems only start when I switch to i3. Are there maybe any services which are not started when i3 runs, but do run otherwise?

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

5. MichaelR38

MichaelR38 Bit poster

I've submitted the report 288203508. In the meantime - is there a way to check which background processes of the parallels tools are running? Or maybe you have a list of the ones which have to run in order to share the clipboard and I could check in my vm if it's the case?

6. MichaelR38

MichaelR38 Bit poster

Hi Arun@Parallels, any updates on my case or can you at least help me with my last question?

Best,
    Michael

7. DerrekL

DerrekL Bit poster

Any updates on this issue? I'm using i3WM in parallels and the clipboard isn't working. I'm trying to compare the process list between the default GUI and i3WM using the diff command, but the results are a bit daunting. Is there some sort of helper program that is meant to run on Ubuntu that helps the MacOS support the drag and drop and share the clipboard?