Space Bar not working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KyleJ1, Jul 12, 2016.

1. KyleJ1

KyleJ1 Bit poster

I'm running OS X Sierra with a VM running Windows 10. Every key on my keyboard works EXECPT my spacebar. Any ideas?

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey @KyleJ1,
    Our development team is aware of this. Please try the work around from this KB article to make the spacebar work for now.

3. KyleJ1

KyleJ1 Bit poster

That works! Thank you.

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Great! Feel free to reach out to us any time.

5. cpuheater

cpuheater Bit poster

The workaround is no longer available on the website. Please re-post it.

6. cpuheater

cpuheater Bit poster

Still waiting.
    Do you really expect people to be so stupid that they pay you $40 to fix their space bar? Which key is it gonna be next year? The ESC-key for another $40?

7. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @cpuheater,
    The issue which you've reported has been already fixed on Parallels Desktop 11 version 11.2.1 (32626) update. Please update to the latest build and check how it goes!

8. cpuheater

cpuheater Bit poster

The thing is that I'm on Parallels Desktop 9 right now which didn't receive updates since 2 years.
    Looking through my mail, I found that I already bought Parallels Desktop 10, but the download link is stale so I'd have to contact support.
    Is the effort worth it? In other words, is the issue fixed in Parallels Desktop 10 or should I just move away from Parallels?

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Are you trying to install Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac on Mac OS X Sierra? Please check out this article to know Parallels Desktop and Mac OS (Host) compatibility. Space bar issue occurs only with Parallels Desktop 12 and Mac OS Sierra. So we would request you to install Parallels Desktop 10 on your Mac if it is compatible.

10. cpuheater

cpuheater Bit poster

Yes, that's my intention.

That is obviously not true. Otherwise, "update to version 11..." would not make too much sense.

According to your link, version 10 is already unsupported after only 2 years. It's audacious how hard you're trying to rip off your customers. Anyway, I'm gonna try with version 10.

But in any case, why can't you just repost the workaround, that was apparently available once?

11. gabrielbcn

gabrielbcn Junior Member

Can you please tell me how to make the spacebar work? Parallels 10 here with XP.

12. cpuheater

cpuheater Bit poster

Oh wait. I can't even install Parallels Desktop 10 anymore on macOS Sierra. (see this thread)

Apparently Parallels thinks it's a good idea to enrage their paying customers. May I advise you, it's a pretty bad idea considering that there's cracked versions out there that work perfectly fine. Well, I myself have had enough of your ripping-off.
    And if people go to the lengths of creating an account just to say "I hate you" (see the link above), you must clearly be doing something wrong.

So, I ask you once more: what was the known workaround?

13. gabrielbcn

gabrielbcn Junior Member

I did install PD10 on Sierra yesterday so it does work... downloaded it from the Parallels download page. Then I was outraged by the space bar issue (and their lack of support) but I did figure out the workaround by myself.

In the keyboard config you have the keyboard translation tables (to map command to control and things like that), just add a new one: "space" maps to "space". It does work :)

Parallels team, it wasn't so difficult to share this with your customers. You have a duty to support us after accepting our payments, which you didn't do. That's a good reason not to be your customer ever again. Shame on you Parallels team!

14. cpuheater

cpuheater Bit poster

Wow that's amazing how simple this fix was, thank you!
    Considering that, it's even more astonishing how Parallels are so bold to keep it from us.

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Great! Thank you for sharing this information. We will check and follow the steps which is outlined by you!

16. gabrielbcn

gabrielbcn Junior Member

I was astonished too that it was so easy... guys correcting the release would have not taken more than a few hours...

17. PetrN

PetrN Bit poster

I just want to add my bit to this conversation.
    First - shame on you Parallels -I am paying customer since PD 5, bought every single release till 10 and then i decided to stop as it brings nothing, only cost money. And the support? kind of "Microsoft" way...
    Second - the trick with mapped key worked. I am wondering, why am I taken to a page promoting installation of 11.2.x version when I am on version 10? Is that really so hard to make the app and support pages to work for the money?

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @gabrielbcn, the issue has been fixed in one of the recent builds. Thanks for your suggestions!

19. SungK1

SungK1 Bit poster

Can someone help me here? Few weeks ago purchased Parallel Desktop 12 from Ebay, which only had key code in it.
    But, the site only had PD 13 version for trial which I downloaded. My key code for PD 12 didn't work.
    Presently, got trial for 15 days PD 13 on my Macbook Air.
    Did register Key code and this is where I am.
    How do I get my PD 12 then, upgrade to PD 13?
    Prompt assistance would be appreciated. Also purchased dates falls within free upgrade to PD 13 period.

20. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro