Ubuntu 18.04 on Parallels 13

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ArkadiuszS, May 9, 2018.

1. ArkadiuszS

ArkadiuszS Bit poster

Hi all,

I really enjoyed my virtual Ubuntu 16 on Parallels and as new LTS appeared I went for it stright away. An unpleasant surprise is that you cannot install Parallels Tools on your newly build VM as they are not ready for kernel 4.15+, which renders your guest virtually unusable. Good news is that you can use it with 4.14 kernel family if you are not into 4.15 specific features (and as a parallels user you are probably not :) ). So here is what i did:

1. Download Ubuntu iso from http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso
    2. Create new VM template manually (as using Parallels helper will create only one partition without space for swap for some reason) selecting RAM and HD size of your choosing. Don't forget to check HW acceleration for GPU.
    3. Boot your VM
    4. Insert newly downloaded image into VM CD/DVD and press enter
    5. During the configuration partition your disk according to your needs adding the swap partition
    6. Wait for the installation to finish and remove installation ISO after the reboot. This is the moment when things are going to get little bit tricky.
    7. We need to install 4.14 kernel and remove unsupported 4.15 so we are going to download generic kernel packages for latest 4.14 (if you are curious about kernel differences look at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/RealTimeKernel). All of the needed packages can be found at: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.14.39/ (or later 4.14)
    8. What we need is:
      linux-headers-4.14.39-041439_4.14.39-041439.201805021622_all.deb,
      linux-headers-4.14.39-041439-generic_4.14.39-041439.201805021622_amd64.deb,
      linux-image-unsigned-4.14.39-041439-generic_4.14.39-041439.201805021622_amd64.deb,
      linux-modules-4.14.39-041439-generic_4.14.39-041439.201805021622_amd64.deb
    9. After downloading these we can install of of them by typing the following commands in terminal:
      cd ~/Downloads/
      sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    10. Next thing to do is removing the kernel 4.15. This can be do by issuing the command:
      sudo apt purge linux-headers-4.15* linux-image-4.15* linux-modules-4.15* linux-modules-extra-4.15*
      System doesn't like the idea of removing the kernel that is used so after receiving the question if you should abort answer NO.
    11. Now we should reboot our VM. It can take a while. Give it a few minutes. I'll explain the reason later.
    12. After VM is back we can confirm that the right kernel is used by running command below in the terminal window: uname -a If you see kernel 4.15 that means that something gone wrong in previous steps.
    13. Let's install libelf-dev which will be needed for Parallels Tools building process anyway. So we are typing in our terminal this:
      sudo apt install libelf-dev
    14. Now is the time to mount our Parallels Tools ISO image. Click on Devices->CD/DVD->Connect Image in Mac menu. Navigate to: Applications > Parallels Desktop > Contents > Resources and open prl-tools-lin.iso. You should see Parallels Tools icon on your VM desktop shortly after this.
    15. And are going to install them by issuing following commands:
      cd /media/<YourUserName>/Parallels\ Tools/
      ./install
    16. If you get asked by the installation wizard for downloading and installing any additional/needed packages answer YES. After the process finishes hit Enter on reboot button.
    17. Once VM is running again you should be able to change the resulution, access iCloud and Home folders, share clipboard with your host etc.
    Your system will probablu still be booting the longer than it should probably. I found out that main reason for that is Snappy daemon and since I'm not using it I just removed it by running:
    sudo apt purge snapd
    It should get your boot time to about 1:30 which is still longer than expected but I haven't found the issue behind it yet.

This is the article that was the source of majority of info for me.
    ...and in this article you can read about kernel 4.15 specific features.

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    We have released an update for Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac version 13.3.1 with the fix for this issues. Please download an installation image here. Release notes: https://kb.parallels.com/124262

3. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @ArkadiuszS, thank you very much for a great post! We have fixed issues with Parallels Tools and 4.15 kernel support, will be releasing the fix in the upcoming Parallels Desktop 13 update.

AjayR and HakanK2 like this.
  4. SangL

SangL Bit poster

Can you let us know when to expect this software patch? Thanks!

5. AjayR

AjayR Junior Member

Hi, when will this patch be released? I updated my VM to 18.04 and without parallels tools my VM is almost unusable :(

6. Genliese

Genliese Bit poster

ol
    HI! why my pd13 can't check for updates.i ping update.parallels.com and returned ip is 150.138.151.192.i use safari and chrome to login in update.parallels.com in directly.as a result,access is redirected to gambling sites.

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Guys, can't tell you the exact date but we're doing our best to include as much fixes as possible into the update and release it until the end of May.

8. Dmitry@Parallels

Best Answer
    We have released an update for Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac version 13.3.1 with the fix for this issues. Please download an installation image here. Release notes: https://kb.parallels.com/124262