"Unable to Detect Operating system" error when trying to install Windows 10 Client ARM64 Insider Pre

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by MattB20, May 10, 2021.

1. MattB20

MattB20 Bit Poster

I have a M1 Mac Mini, Big Sur 11.3.1, Parallels 16.5 updated as of 5/10/21 and downloaded Windows 10 Client ARM64 Insider Preview - Build 21354, which is the only build I can find to download on the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64 site.
    When I point the Parallels install at the VHDX file I get "Unable to Detect Operating system". I have tried re-downloading the file and I still get the error.
    Please help.

Attached Files:

2. prestidigitat

prestidigitat Bit Poster

Same issue on my M1 Air. Any solutions?

3. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Parallels Team

4. prestidigitat

prestidigitat Bit Poster

No issues on macOS 11.4.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  5. Maria@Parallels

Please let us know if the issue reoccurs and collect the tech data right after that.

6. AdinC

AdinC

any resolution for this? I have the same issue.

7. Maria@Parallels

Hello, do you have an issue with Windows or Linux?
    Could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and post the report's ID here please?

8. BrandonK4

BrandonK4 Bit Poster

I just tried to install Windows10 ARM build 21345 on the new iMac macOS 11.4 and ran into the same problem. Parallels is "Unable to detect operating system", if you select Windows 10 as the OS you're just presented with a "Operation failed" error dialog box on the next step. I've submitted a tech report and the ID is as follows 370637573.

9. Maria@Parallels

Just in case, could you please try to mount your .iso file to mac (by double clicking on it) and let us know if it doesn't work.

10. BrandonK4

BrandonK4 Bit Poster

I tried that yesterday and received the same error... This morning for some reason it works. Both by dragging the VHDX file into Parallels and by just double clicking it. Not sure what's changed between last night and this morning.