Upgrading from old version 12 - not currently installed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RolandO2, Jun 23, 2022.

1. RolandO2

RolandO2 Bit poster

Hi there,
    I am thinking about purchasing the upgrade package for Version 17. In 2017 I bought a license for version "Parallels Desktop 12". But after switching to a new machine I did not install it again. So I only have the License/Activation key at hand.
    • Is that enough for the upgrade to work?
    • Also will the upgrade be working with the M1?
    • And finally: To what Version can I upgrade? Desktop? Desktop Pro?
    Thanks

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, you can upgrade to Parallels Desktop 17 for using Parallels Desktop on your M1 Mac. To know the difference between Parallels Desktop Standard Edition and Pro Edition please refer to this Kb article. Parallels Desktop 17 permanent upgrade is one-time purchase and parallels Desktop Pro upgrade is a yearly subscription.

3. RolandO2

RolandO2 Bit poster

Thanks for the infos.
    I am still wondering if the license key is enough...? Or do I need a working local installation? (which is not possible anymore because the installer refuses to install on the current mac OS...)
    Thanks again

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, you need to purchase Parallels Desktop 17 upgrade key.

5. RolandO2

RolandO2 Bit poster

Thanks, but this does not answer my question.
    I was not referring to the new key (of course I will need to purchase an upgrade key, that's clear to me) but to the old one.
    My question was if the installation routine can successfully be finished when using that new upgrade key while not having the old version installed on the system. I suppose I have to enter the old key then during installation or similar.
    Can you confirm?

6. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, first you need to install Parallels Desktop 17 on your new Mac. Then give your Parallels Desktop 17 upgrade key, after that it will prompt you for a previous version license key. There you give your Parallels Desktop 12 license key. Then it will be activated.

7. RolandO2

RolandO2 Bit poster

That answers my question. Thank you very much!

8. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, your most welcome. Please reach us back for any further queries.

9. JuneP1

JuneP1 Bit poster

Hello, you can upgrade to Parallels Desktop 17 for using Parallels Desktop on your M1 Mac. To know the difference between Parallels Desktop Standard Edition and Pro Edition please refer to this result. Parallels Desktop 17 permanent upgrade is one-time purchase and parallels Desktop Pro upgrade is a yearly subscription.

10. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please let us know if you have any query.