USB Printing problem solved! (Generic solution?)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by macgebruiker, Jun 9, 2006.

1. davidmac27

davidmac27 Junior Member

Add me to the list of people having problems printing. I have an HP LaserJet 1320. Bonjour will find it and then I add it. Printing works great. The next day my wife is complaining about not being able to print. The printer shows it is ready but nothing is happening. To make matters worse, if I try to remove the printer, I get a "Printer cannot be removed, operation cannot be completed. Error 0x0000000d"

So far, Parallels 3188 is causing about as many problems as it is solving for me....

2. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I had similar to you, using Vista. Not at my regular machine at present so can't check detail, but for me the key way forward was to enable network discovery in the network control panel.

I also had the same error message and was able to delete the printer from somewhere in the Admin Tools control panel, where I found a printer list and was able to delete it. Let me know if you need more and I will try and check when I can get to my machine.

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

DavidMac...
    Do you have USB Autoconnect on?

It may be that your VM is trying to connect through USB rather than Bonjour and thus gumming up the driver. I would try turning USB autoconnect off, then shut down VM, restart Mac, restart VM.

You can print using USB but you will have the issue of which machine "owns" the printer at any given point. With Bonjour, both machines can use the printer with no fuss.

4. doublecrown

doublecrown Bit poster

I am having nearly the same problem. I am running XP with the latest version of Parallels and an HP PSC 1210 All-in-One printer. When I first run Parallels it works fine, but then, for some random reason, it doesn't work later. Like the other person who just wrote, I just got a call from my wife saying she couldn't print. We don't have USB autoconnect on, because I don't want all of our USB devices to switch to Parallels when we have it running (like my iPod and Eye TV Hybrid), but normally connecting the printer manually will work. I also have Bonjour running and it normally works too, so we usually have two options. However, my wife just said neither will work today. I told her to reboot and try it - she says it still won't work. I'm gonna mess around with it tonight, but any ideas?

I would hate to do it, but is it possible to go back to the previous version of Parallels? I would miss some of the new features, but at least the printing worked 100% of the time.

Sean
    records@dblcrown.com

5. RichCini

RichCini Bit poster

I would have to concur with this. I have a Canon Pixma iP6000D (2005-vintage color photo printer that is attached to my Mac Mini and works fine). I installed the driver using Bonjour in a Win2k-based VM and it wouldn't print for beans. I installed a second instance of the printer using the "Generic/PostScript" driver and it worked fine. Downside is that I lose color printing. Not a big deal because what I need to print is B&W only, but it would seem to me that it should work.

6. dlthomas

dlthomas Bit poster

Need a 100% solution to USB printing problems!

As a graphic designer I need 100% assurance my Postscript printers are going to work on my new PowerMac under Parallels (WinXP Professional).

I just made the switch from a PC to a Mac and use all Adobe software (will eventually be upgrading to Mac platform versions).

I have 3 HP postscript printers (2 on a USB and one on a network) and need to have all 3 of them working 100% of the time.

From what I read here about printers working 'sometimes' and 'sometimes not' really scares me and I am hopeful that there is a 100% solution.

Right now my USB connected printers will print on the Mac but not thru Parallels. They are available in Parallels, but will not print....not from Notepad, Command Prompt, or Adobe software.

I haven't figured out how to "install the printer drivers in the guest operating system" yet (see pg. 107 of the Parfallels User Manual). Maybe that will help.

Can someone help me install the printer drivers in the WinXP OS?

If this doesn't solve the problem, has anyone found a 100% fix?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Diane

7. tuthill

tuthill Bit poster

I was having the problem with trying to set up a Bonjour printer (attached by USB to my desktop machine) in Parallels on my Macbook. Was the getting the permission error message at the end of setup.

Cured it by setting up another administrator account in XP and Bonjour was able to install the printer without any problem.

8. Miriamnz

Miriamnz Bit poster

Choosing printer from top menu

I can get the printer to work if I put a check mark alongside the printer in the drop down devices menu of Parallels.
    It loses this selection when parallels quits, so has ot be done manually each time.

NOTE: Checking other devices in this menu can completley hang the whole machine. I don't understand what the menu is or does.

Regards
    Miriam

9. Beaver41

Beaver41 Bit poster

Bonjour Installed Still Problems

I downloaded and installed Bonjour. When I opened the Wizard it did not show any shared printers. Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to get a Canon ip3000 and Epson Stylus C88 working.

10. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Did you go into OSX System Preferences/Sharing and put a checkmark next to printers?

11. Beaver41

Beaver41 Bit poster

To Purplish

THANK YOU! It worked for the Canon. Now I will install the Epson using the install CD and try the same thing. Colors came out fine on the Canon.

12. cathyconn785

cathyconn785 Bit poster

When I try to use Bonjour no printers show up at all.

I'm using a Canon Pixma 4000, connected by usb. Currently it works on both sides--but not at the same time! If I have parallels open I can't print on the Mac side.

When I open up parallels I have to always restart the printer so it will print. Can anyone help me.

I have the Mac Book.

13. barrygarsson

barrygarsson Junior Member

Attn: Tacit_One (Parallels team) - glad I looked at this "sticky" - I was going crazy trying to get my printer to work. Bonjour worked like a charm! My only complaint is that I spent so much time USING THE PARALLELS HELP MENU which was no help since everything (almost) suggested was already in my configuration editor set as a default. What are the Parallels designers thinking when they write that help menu? Did they try it themselves? Hey guys, have a heart, why not just cut to the quick and forget all that configuration stuff that didn't work anyway. What would I have done without seeing this "sticky" and downloaded Bonjour? It should be included in the installation file! Anyway, glad it works. BTW: I love Parallels - Quicken for Mac is a dismal failure, don't know what I would have done without Parallels.
    Barry

14. bluestar11jct

bluestar11jct Junior Member

everything looks right but not printing?

i've done everything said here and its worked perfect except, its not printing. everything seems to be perfect. its says processing 3 documents waiting. (i tried sending it3x).

please guide me on what to do.
    thanks

15. bluestar11jct

everything looks right but not printing?

i've done everything said here and its worked perfect except, its not printing. everything seems to be perfect. its says processing 3 documents waiting. (i tried sending it3x).

please guide me on what to do.
    thanks

16. barrygarsson

barrygarsson Junior Member

Re: Using XP inside Parallels inside the Mac:

After I installed Bonjour, the Control Panel -> Printers... section displayed my printer for the first time. That didn't happen before Bonjour.

I then opened Quicken 2007 (the only program I actually run inside XP in the Mac) and tried printing a register. Had the same result as you, it "printed" a blank page. I tried it again and used the Preview button in the print window and saw a blank page.

Then I went to the Quicken Home Page and had it print the home page: it worked for whatever wacky reason. After that it printed the register.

Since I am not one of the gurus here, I can only suggest that you try printing something else aside from what you want printed. Maybe open Wordpad or Notepad, enter some text, and try printing that. It seemed to have had to "learn" to print.

Anybody else want to suggest something here?

17. bluestar11jct

thanks for your response, i tried print from other places and still nothing not even a black page.
    the documents are still in queue. how weird

18. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

bluestar can you be a little more specific about what you have tried?

There are two generic solutions: the USB solution and the Bonjour solution. Which one are you trying? To do both at once will not work.

19. bluestar11jct

i went to apple help and it told me to go to printer/fax then go to sharing and share my printer which is a canon mp530. i download bonjour. and it automatically chose genetic/postscript. it found my printer fast so thought it would work. i dont know if i have something else setup wrong.. like with some usb settings or something wrong in the vm configuration. ive tried printing from word, word pad, ect. is the usb soulution better? i dont know whar that is. thanks

20. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Go to System Preferences, Under "Internet and Network" click on "Sharing". Make sure there is a check mark next to "Printer Sharing".

Have you inserted a disk of XP drivers and installed them on your VM? If not, still don't. If you have, report back.