USB redirection in Chromebook not working

Discussion in 'Parallels Client for Google Chrome' started by ParallelsU320, Dec 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ParallelsU320

ParallelsU320 Junior Member

Hallo,
    I have installed Parallels Client in my Chromebook, when USB stick connects with Chromebook, the USB drive will be shown in the App "My Files". But from Prallels Client, I can not see the USB stick/drive. USB Redirection to Prallels Client does not work.
    Test with :
    * Acer Chromebook 715 (Core i5, 8th Gen)
    * Parallels Client from chrome web store with Version 17.0.21472

I am glad to see your reply. Thanks.

Greeting

2. jpc

jpc Pro

3. ParallelsU320

Is there any workaround for this missing feature?

4. jpc

jpc Pro

One possible workaround would be to use the "File Transfer" functionality when connected to a RAS session.
    I would still suggest you to file a feature suggestion, as the workaround above handles only one type of workflow.

5. ParallelsU320

6. jpc

jpc Pro

7. ParallelsU320

it sounds good, however, I hope that it can be completed. That will be very helpful for employees who have home office.
    I am glad to hear from you about the next steps.
    Greeting

8. RandyM8

RandyM8

It's been over 4 years since this thread was updated. Has any progress been made on the request to allow a local USB drive connected to a Chromebook running the Parallels Chromebook client to be accessible to the Windows environment running RAS?
    Thank you!

9. jpc

jpc Pro

Unfortunately, the underlying technology for Parallels (RAS) Client for Chrome OS (ChromeApp) is no longer maintained or updated by Google since 2022.
    For actual USB device support, this page shows the main issue at hand: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124430

For USB drive redirection, the only real alternatives on ChromeOS are to either:
    1. if your Chromebook supports Android apps, to use the Parallels Client for Android which should have full drive redirection support, or
    2. use the User Portal (Web Client) along with the aforementioned file transfer support

10. JoeM37

JoeM37 Bit poster

It seems like the Parallels Client on your Chromebook is not detecting the USB stick/drive, even though it appears in the "My Files" app. This might be an issue with USB redirection settings within the Parallels Client.

11. beyefa

beyefa

If USB redirection is not working on your Chromebook, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check Compatibility: Ensure that the USB device is compatible with Chrome OS. Some devices may not be supported.

2. Update Chrome OS: Make sure your Chromebook is running the latest version of Chrome OS. Go to Settings > About Chrome OS > Check for updates.

3. Restart Your Chromebook: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

4. Re-enable USB Redirection: If you're using a remote desktop application, check the settings to ensure USB redirection is enabled.

5. Try Different Ports: Connect the USB device to a different USB port on your Chromebook to rule out port issues.

6. Test on Another Device: If possible, test the USB device on another computer to confirm it's functioning properly.

7. Check Permissions: If you're using a virtual machine or remote access software, ensure that the software has the necessary permissions to access USB devices.