v3 to v4 experience

hw3

Bit poster
Spent a few hours, finally upgraded to v4. Some features are nice but the parallels runs slower than before (v3) and it's much more memory hungry. I allocated 1gb for it and it literally occupied that much even when I didn't run much. Worse, it wouldn't release the memory after I pause it, contrary to what the help page said. I think this explains why both windows and hosting OSx become slower after the upgrade (I only have 3gb memory total).
 
I have the same problem. I tried the two fixes you mentionned but none of them worked properly. Second one seems to work for one of my VMs but not for the other.

I'm also a V3->V4 user.
 
Hi John,

This article has been pointed out by your colleague Estrelnikov earlier in the thread (the link behing 'this' in his message) . Then I already tried this fix. It improved the situation for one of my VMs (I use two), but not for the second for a reason I ignore. The second still yomps 100 percent of the processor I assigned although I do nothing with the VM.

My config is MacPro from January 08 2x4 proc 8 Go RAM. XP Home on one computer (fixed) and XP Pro on the other.
 
1. Open c:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers and delete all files prl*.* but not
prl_*.*, and delete prl_pv32.sys
Then reboot.

2. If step 1 will not help, then you can just uninstall Parallels Tools
(Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add or remove programs -> Parallels
Tools -> Remove)
Without Parallels Tools installed guest Windows normally should start in
2-3 minutes maximum. Then you can install Parallels Tools again (in
MacOS top menu: Virtual Machine -> Install Parallels Tools)
 
Last edited:
I did all as you required. Installed Tools as well but noticed no improvement. I still have one computer taking all ressources with prl_vm_app.
 
Back
Top