What process is Windows VM on Mac under Parallels using to connect online?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SM_, Apr 29, 2020.

1. SM_

SM_ Bit poster

Hi All,
    I just installed Parallels 1.5 from the App Store, running the preinstalled Windows 10 VM. I am using Little Snitch on my Mac to track connections.
    In previous installations all internet connections coming from the VM went through a process called prl_naptd, which was detected by Little Snitch. This time, for some reason, there is no such process showing up in Little Snitch but the VM does connect to the internet.
    The only processes detected with the installation are called "Parallels Desktop" and "Parallels Services" and "prl_updater_ctl". However, even if I disable those, the VM still accesses the internet, i.e. when open a website through the browser.
    Does anyone have experience with this? What would be the process in Little Snitch the VM is using for internet access? I would be surprised if the VM manages to bypass Little Snitch, no? Am curious....
    Many thanks in advance,

Solo95 likes this.
  2. John89

John89 Bit poster

3. Solo95

Solo95 Bit poster

@SM_ have you ever got an answer to your q? I'm wondering about exactly the same thing. How is it possible that Parallels is flying undetected by LS.