Win 10 install failure "Something happened"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Soarsz, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Soarsz

Soarsz Junior Member

I have followed the Parallels kb and was able to start the Win 10 download. The download itself proceeded normally to completion. Then a second process started, something about windows media creation. On two occasions this morning approximately half way through this second process I got a message "something happened". At that point the only option offered was "Close". When I closed, I had apparently lost everything. I went to the explorer download folder and there is no trace of a download (I did the download with internet explorer). I was watching the computer screen ( Macbook Pro Retina) and there was no power interruption or other untoward event. I am upgrading Win 8.1 (64). I did increase the memory to 2 gig. My parallels is the most recent and tools is updated to latest.

2. Hi @Soarsz, we have already escalated this issue to our Development Team and they are currently working on the resolution.
    We will update you and other customers once we receive any update or workaround.

Sorry for the any inconvenience.

3. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Hi Maria! With your help, I did get to the download center, but ended up with exactly the same issue as Soarsz, despite 3 attempts with exactly the same results on each 1 hour try. Can you add me to the notification list as well?
    I'm updating Win 8.1 Pro, if that makes any difference?
    Thanks!
    Dan
    Something happened.JPG

4. DanielWilliams

DanielWilliams Bit poster

Same issue here

5. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Did you have enough free space on your VM to allow the download?
    Were you running the latest Parallels version and installed tools?
    Was your Win8.1 completely up to date?

FWIW, I had no issue getting the download tool from the download web page
    and the tool downloaded the .iso image without any problems.
    My Parallels was 10.2.2, Win 8.1 Pro had all available updates applied,
    with a VM with 52 GB free disk space and 8 GB RAM configured.

6. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

EllwoodN: Thanks for the reply!
    I have an expanding VM so it should be OK, correct?
    I do have 10.2.2 with tools and my Win 8.1 Pro was again updated today.
    I do have the RAM set at 4GB however and did not try to save the iso but ran it from the download. Maria's answer above seems to indicate it's a Parallels problem, so I'm really getting confused as your response seems to indicate it is a configuration problem on my end?
    Three questions:
    1. Is my 4GB ram set up OK?
    2. Should I put the iso on a disk and then try to install it
    3. or should we wait for Maria's response?

7. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

The RAM should be fine.

What I did (actually doing clean install of Win10 now), I downloaded the .iso file to the VM.
    Then I did a drag and drop from the VM to a convenient location on the OS X side of things.
    I then started up the VM, and from the Parallels device menu, dropped down to CD drive
    and selected the .iso file to mount. It should be relatively quick as everything is on an SSD.

At this point, I am 75% through installing Windows.

Will see what happens!!!!

8. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Please let me know what happens?
    Given your report, this time I tried to download Win 10 to a flash drive, but ended up with the same "Something Happened" error and Nothing (!!) on the flash drive!!??
    I think I will wait for Parallel's fix as nothing seems to work for me.

9. DanielWilliams

DanielWilliams Bit poster

i managed to find a backup of my windows 8 virtual machine (before i upgraded to 8.1) and it has now upgraded to 10.I was just lucky I think

10. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi,
    Right-click on the Media Creation Tool's EXE file and select "Run as Administrator" option.
    Just follow these simple steps to change locale and language settings in your computer to fix the problem:
    1. Open Control Panel and click on Region icon. Alternatively you can direct open it using intl.cpl command in RUN or Start Search box. It'll open a new window containing details of your current system locale, language, etc.
    2. Now go to "Administrative" tab and click on "Change system locale" button.
    3. Now select English (United States) option from the drop-down box and click on OK button.
    4. Now click on "Copy Settings" button and in the next window check both checkboxes "Welcome screen and system accounts" and "New user accounts" and click on OK button.Restart your system and now run the tool again. It'll work without any problem this time.

12. Soarsz

Soarsz Junior Member

I followed the above instructions, and this time made it approx. 65% through the second phase of the process- creating windows media - then "something happened" again- this time with some accompanying code
    0x80070070-0xc19001DF
    and as before the only option was "close"; poof all that download time gone again (4th time now)

Sealoozie likes this.
  13. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

I'm with Soarsz once again, also stopping at 65% of creating media, when the "Something Happened" occurred. Then, I tried just manually installing the ISO file and joy of joys ... it worked!! That is it worked until it disallowed me making any "Personalizations" until I "Activate it". It would not allow my 8.1 code to activate it and I resorted to my backup made before all this started.
    Today, on try #7 (!!), I now cannot even get the Media creator to start, receiving code 0x80070002-0x20016.
    I'm giving up and will stay with 8.1 until Parallels comes up with a REAL fix. All the KB references just chased me in a big circle and I fear screwing up my set up any more than I already have.

14. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Having had a couple of failures I followed what others have been doing with Parallels i.e. uninstalled Parallel Tools first. Then I went to the Microsoft ISO page and when asked if the download was for this machine or another PC I clicked on this machine.

This time the download went without incident and Windows 10 installed perfectly. Once everything was up and running I reinstalled Parallels Tools and now everything is working okay. The only real issue has been the length of time it takes to shut down the VM and I'm using an SSD.

15. RobertM8

RobertM8 Bit poster

I was getting a "something went wrong: failed to initialize the working directory" error and running the installer as Admin and manually bumping up the image's storage fixed it. (I did both so I can't say which was the important part, sorry.)

16. Soarsz

Soarsz Junior Member

I finally made this work. I went back into parallels config and manually increased the total size of the VM from 64 to 128. It had been in the expandable mode and I assumed it would expand to meet the need. The final size of the VM at the moment is 76gb.
    One final question remains for me. How does one change the name to Windows 10. I went back into parallels config, general folder and attempted to change the name. It will not change there. Any clues on this?

17. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

@Soarsz I thought I had the answer to your final question, but find i also cannot change the name under "General". Sorry!!
    I have a question back at you: How did you change the size of the VM?

18. Soarsz

Soarsz Junior Member

I opened the parallels config page, closed windows, reopened config page, went to the hardware page, hard disc 1 (a choice on left side of page) and hit the edit button. This opens a page with a movable cursor. Mine was on 64. I arbitrarily went to 128gb. I will be interested if this works for you, or if I just got lucky.

Sealoozie likes this.
  19. CraigH1

CraigH1 Bit poster

FWIW, I saw this on PC as well. I had to change my language to english-US in regional and language settings.

20. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

@Soarsz
    I have good news and bad ... GOOD: How you figured all that out, I'll never know, but it did take me to an editable version of Configure. There, under "General" I found I could edit the Name (to answer your earlier question?). BAD: while it appears I could in fact edit the memory allocation, it warned me with A "Delete your Snapshots" before changing error, so I backed off, as I don't want to mess my machine up any more than I already have.