Win 10 install failure "Something happened"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Soarsz, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

@Soarsz @Maria@Parallels SUCCESS!!!!
    I Started with KB 123053 and then, taking a tip from Soarsz and some other posts, I would suggest Parallels modify the KB 123053 adding something like the following after Step 4:
    • Delete all Snapshots from your VM
    • In Parallel Controls, increase your VM (even if in "Expand") to 75gb
    • Download the appropriate ISO File
    • After Download, Burn that file to a DVD
    • After Burn, insert disk into your Windows partition and run set up from that disk. During the 1 hour and 17 minute process, I selected "Keep all files and Apps" and they all were properly transferred, even my task bar selections .... really nice!!
    For info, I am running:
    1. 2013 MacBook Air with 250 GB SSD and 8GB Ram
    2. Win 8.1 Pro UPDATED
    3. Parallels 10.2.2 Build 29105 with 4 GB Ram set
    I hope this helps someone, as I know why Windows called it "Win 10", as I have at least 10 hours or more in trying to upgrade my system.

GeneM1 likes this.
  2. @Sealoozie thanks a lot for the additional information.
    We're very appreciate it, also I'll provide our Engineering Team with.
    Thanks once again!

3. GeneM1

GeneM1 Junior Member

Thank you @Sealoozie
    One could skip Burning to a DVD, and mount the ISO file directly on the virtual DVD drive:
    Here is my suggested modification of Step 4 in Parallels KB 123053, 122884, and 123216:
    • In Windows 10 Setup, Select "Create installation media for another PC"
    • Copy the ISO file (Windows.iso) to a MacOS directory (e.g. /Users/Shared/Parallels/)
    • Shut down the VM (E.g. Windows 8.1)
    • Delete all Snapshots from your VM
    • Clone your VM to make a backup
    • In Parallels Configuration (Parallels Desktop > Control Center > Windows 8.1 > Configure... > Hardware)
      • Go to Hard Disk > Edit ...
      • Increase to 75 GB
      • Go to CD/DVD > Connect to: > Choose an image file ...
      • Navigate to the ISO file (Windows.iso) and click Open
    • Start the VM
    • Open the DVD and run setup
    Continue with remaining instructions in Step 4

AllanSRichardt likes this.
  4. MeirK

MeirK Bit poster

I have tried all of the above up to the last message by GeneM1. I am worried that cloning my main VM is not a safe backup because from what i understand the new cloned VM links to already existing files. I am worried that the new operating system might not result in working links.

Is there one consolidated description of what to do safely without getting the dreaded "Something happened" message. It seems like the next step is Parallels'.

Parallels, will you be putting out an update soon that will allow s to painlessly update to Windows 10?

5. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I have never had an issue with a clone - it's what it says, an exact replica, it can't link to anything as it's a standalone file.

Have you tried what worked for me without issue i.e. uninstall Parallel Tools, click the Media Creation Tool on the MS website, go and make a cup of tea and relax - job sorted. Once W10 has installed reboot and reinstall Parallels Tools and simply enjoy your new OS.

6. MeirK

MeirK Bit poster

I have already spent several hours and keep getting the same message "Something happened". I didn't try what worked for you because I can't figure out how to uninstall parallels tools. I will wait for Parallels to come up with a solution. I have a couple of other PCs so I was able to upgrade to Windows 10. Frankly it isn't a game changer compared to my favorite and most stable Windows 7.

7. HelenT

HelenT Bit poster

Just tried the 'save iso' version, and STILL "something happened". Didn't make it through Step 2 of the above.

8. clarkkentva

clarkkentva Bit poster

How did you get around the Windows 10 activation. Using my 8.1 keys does not work. Restored back my 8.1.

9. clarkkentva

clarkkentva Bit poster

Although the installation is an upgrade but Windows 10 is not activated and it will not take the 8.1 pro keys to activate. Did you experience this?

10. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Add or remove programmes in control panel.

11. schalliol

schalliol Member

I tried Parallels KB note on upgrading and both tried to upgrade and create an ISO but have continued to receive the Something Happened error with no file seemingly saved. Very frustrating!

12. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

It "self-activated", I didn't do a thing to activate.

13. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I see no reason to go back as Windows 10 really looks like a worthy successor to Windows 7 and 8.1 I have in fact already deleted my Windows .Old folder.
    People who are afraid of change are afraid of life.

14. AndrewB6

AndrewB6 Bit poster

I was trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and was getting the same error. After much reading and trying different things, the error I believe is related to lack of space within the virtual machine. Follow the steps in article KB113972 to add further space to your virtual machine, then try running the Windows Media Creation tool again and it should work. I shouldn't have to say it, but just make sure you back-up your virtual machine before you add space or back-up before upgrading to Windows 10!