Windows 10 fails to boot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidB27, Oct 10, 2016.

1. GrahamW4

GrahamW4 Bit poster

I too have the same or very similar problem today. At startup Windows installed an update. The update took quite a while to install which was the first sign of concern. After the update did install I basically just get a black screen and a severely disabled iMac. I don't use the Windows VM daily, however I was working in Windows just fine earlier in the week. It must be something tied to the recent update for Windows this week.

2. GrahamW4

GrahamW4 Bit poster

Resetting the VM didn't work for me, however after reinstalling Parallel Tools things appear to be working OK again for the moment. I have my fingers crossed and Daumen gedruckt that this has fixed the problem experienced yesterday.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Great GrahamW4! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help! Thanks

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hello Guys, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 Update 1 (12.1.0-41489) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

5. MarioR2

MarioR2 Bit poster

Hello. Sorry, but where can I find "Actions > Update Parallels Tools"? I have the Parallels Control Center Open, and I don't see it in the various sub-menus. thanks.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Start your virtual machine and in the Mac menu click on Actions (Virtual Machine in older versions) > Install Parallels Tools (or Reinstall / Update Parallels Tools, if applicable) Please check out this article to know how to reinstall Parallels Tools and let us know how it works.

7. MarioR2

MarioR2 Bit poster

I found it ... but selecting Install Parallels Tools didn't work. seems like it crashes too soon after trying to automatically install parallel tools. below is a screen shot ... with the dialog box showing parallels is trying to update tools. it crashes right at about 10%. After the crash, it does send a problem report to parallels ... the most recent on has and ID number of 128919986.

should I uninstall parallels and windows and reinstall? if so, I assume that I will be able to reuse the software Keys, right?

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 8.23.17 AM.png

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  8. MarioR2

MarioR2 Bit poster

I also get this ... see screen shot. I tried restarting again ... but got the message below. any suggestions would be appreciated as I am a bit new with this stuff.

I am using the standard edition of Parallels.
    Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 1.32.38 PM.png

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  9. MarioR2

MarioR2 Bit poster

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 1.54.50 PM.png It seems to be working now.
    I opened Configure under Actions while Parallels was trying to update Tools (before it got to 10%) ... see screenshot below ... and just let it sit and the update got to 100%. I restarted Windows, and its been working since. see screen shots. Probably just coincidence, but I am happy to be up and running.
    Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 1.54.50 PM.png

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Great! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!