Windows 10 Key no accepted

KerenM

Bit poster
I am upgrading to Win 10 and unlike on my pc where during the upgrade it did not ask for my Windows Key on this install it did.
It does not accept my windows Key.
Is there a solution?
Macca
 
This is not the answer to my problem.
I do not have the problem of everytime that I log in a Key is required.
I am upgrading and it asks me for a KEY.
When I upgraded a Windows machine NOO Key was required.
On MAC under Parallels when it asks for a Key I put in the right KEUY and it is not accepted.
Macca
 
Hi KerenM,
If you were upgrading from Windows 7,8.1 to Windows 10 then there are chances that it might not ask you for an activation key as it is a free upgrade and the key is already present in the operating system. Could you please check search for 'about your PC' from the search box of your Windows 10 and check if it says that your Version of Windows 10 is activated or not.
 
How can I check in Windows 10 when I CAN NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10.

Do you understand??? I am only in the upgrade mode and after hitting SETUP.EXE and instead of installing automatically it wants a KEY.

Macca
 
Let me start from square 1
I have windows 8 on Parallels on a MacBookPro.
I insert a usb drive with Windows 10 Setup.exe on it.
I click same and it starts to install.
A short time later the SetUp Program wants me to input a KEY.
When I input my VALID KEY it is not recognised.
Is that explanation plain enough to understand and help?
Macca
 
Hi KarenM,
We would suggest you to download mediacreation tool http://kb.parallels.com/122884 download and run it.
You have to upgrade your Windows virtual machine to Windows 10.
NOTE: for installing a 64-bit version of Windows 10 please make sure your virtual machine has at least 2GB of RAM assigned. To check virtual machine's RAM please open configuration menu -> Hardware tab -> CPU & Memory. To increase the memory you would need to shut down your virtual machine.
Please feel free to reply for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.
 
This is amazing!!
You tell me to download the media creation tool. How do you think I got the Setup.exe on the usb drive in the first place and have successfully upgraded two Windows Machines already with the same USB drive.
I have already allocated 4Gb of memory on my mac.
Will you please answer my easy to understand question above. I have never on any forum had so much trouble getting someone to understand my problem.
Macca
 
Unreal responses. I have exactly the same problem:

1. Running a legitimate copy of Windows 8.1 Pro under Parallels 10, previously activated with a legitimate Win 8.1 product key.

2. When installing Windows 10 (AFTER creating the installation media), Windows 10 apparently can't find the Win 8.1 product key already used to activate Win 8.1, so the Windows 10 installation program can't verify that a free upgrade is "ok."

3. Because the Win 10 installation program can't find the Win 8.1 product key somewhere in the existing Win 8.1 installation, the Win 10 installation program demands a new Win 10 Product Key -- without it, THE WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION CANNOT PROCEED!

Any part of the above unclear??

So, Parallels Support, the question is:

How do we get Windows 10 to find/use the installed Win 8.1's product key, so Win 10 will recognize the Win 8.1 installation as legitimate and then allow the Win 10 installation to proceed?
 
Guys, this may not help either kerenm or mneblett but may halp someone else...
I had this problem in Parallels 10, upgrading from W7 to W10. I then discovered I had not activated W7 on Parallels and only had 2 days left to do so. I activated it successfully and then the W10 install succeeded without asking for the product key.
 
I received a reply to the "ticket" I submitted on this issue, and it was frustratingly similar to the above: it addressed activating AFTER the Win 10 upgrade, not the problem of NOT BEING ABLE TO UPGRADE IN THE FIRST PLACE because the Win 10 setup program doesn't see the legit Win 8.1 installation, and therefore demands a Win 10 product key.

At some point, they are going to have enough people with this problem that they will have to figure it out and provide a fix -- just wish they would at least acknowledge the existence of the *right* problem, even if there is not a solution yet.

That would beat giving an answer to the wrong problem and in the same response closing out a ticket as "Resolved."
 
Hi All,
If you have an active copy of Windows 7,8,8.1 you will be never ask to enter an activation key while upgrading to Windows 10.
Please try downloading the .iso image file from here on the Mac side. Once the download is complete, please follow the steps below:
Go to virtual machine configure >> Hardware Tab >> CD/DVD >> Mount the image file by Choosing the image file.
Start the virtual machine >> Open the CD/DVD drive and execute the set-up file.
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
 
Thank you Dhruba. Before I received your response, I tried to do the download and upgrade from within Win 8.1 (as opposed to my previous attempts running the upgrade from a USB stick. This worked -- I ran the MS download program from the MS website, and did not have to do anything with saving and mounting an .iso image. The issue is closed for me.
 
Thank you Dhruba. Before I received your response, I tried to do the download and upgrade from within Win 8.1 (as opposed to my previous attempts running the upgrade from a USB stick. This worked -- I ran the MS download program from the MS website, and did not have to do anything with saving and mounting an .iso image. The issue is closed for me.
You are welcome! mneblett. Feel free to reach us anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!
 
So does this mean that the only way to switch to Windows 10 is by upgrading the existing Windows 8.1 installation? Is it not possible to do a clean install of Windows 10 using the Windows 8 product key?
 
So does this mean that the only way to switch to Windows 10 is by upgrading the existing Windows 8.1 installation? Is it not possible to do a clean install of Windows 10 using the Windows 8 product key?
Hi, there is no option to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 with the help of Windows 8 activation key. However if you have an activation key for Windows 10, yes you can do a fresh installation.
 
Hi, there is no option to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 with the help of Windows 8 activation key. However if you have an activation key for Windows 10, yes you can do a fresh installation.
This is wrong. The latest released version of Windows 10 1511 build 10586.11 allows direct fresh install of Windows 10 and subsequent activation with a Windows 7 or 8 key of the same type (home or pro). I have done it twice.
This was introduced in insider preview build 10565 a couple of months ago but has been on general release since 10586 a couple of weeks ago.

Google will find lots of links about this e.g. this quote:

"Also, starting from Windows 10 1511 Build 10586, users will be able to clean install and activate Windows 10 using their Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 product keys."

from:

http://www.redmondpie.com/windows-1...vember-update-is-out-heres-how-to-update-now/
 
Last edited:
Back
Top