Windows 10, no sound, no Parallels Virtual Audio Adapter Visible

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Suhat, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Aleksandr@Parallels

Aleksandr@Parallels Parallels Developers

Hi, could you change hypervisor type to Apple (VM settings -> Hardware -> CPU & Memory -> Advanced)?
    Let us know if the issue persists

MartinW30 likes this.
  2. StuartA6

StuartA6 Bit poster

@Maria@Parallels please provide an update. This has been going on for too long. I've sent multiple messages and I've sent the technical report you requested. I just need the solution now. This is completely unprofessional.

3. Hey, did you try the @Aeksandr@Parallels suggestion above?
    Please let us know if it doesn't help.

4. MartinW30

MartinW30 Bit poster

Hello everyone,
    this solved the problem for me. I had the same issue: no sound all over the system, especially after starting teams in a parallels session.

Had to grant parallels all system rights and set the hypervisor to apple and now it apparently works.

Hope, this is stable and gives me a day without restarting an re-installing parallels tools every half an hour...

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  5. Hello, thanks a lot for sharing your results here.
    Please let us know if the issue reoccurs.

6. Soham

Soham Bit poster

Hey Guys,
    I've performed few experiments issue related with no sounds or stuttering audio when Parallels virtual session is engage. Before I precessed telling my experiments, I would like to know inform you on what I'm working with. MacBook Pro 13" Base 2019, macOS Big Sur 11.6, Parallels Desktop 17.0.1, & Windows 11 Pro Beta Insider Build.

When I regular setup everything like usual, no change in VM settings expect adding more RAM and using the VM as normal. Later on, I'm starting to notice hear audio stutters when either audio playing from Mac or Windows VM. Going out of topic but running on normal settings, I was experiencing performance sacrifice, huge power usage and experiencing bit unstable with VM running Windows 11. Coming back to topic, I did some research on parallels forms, I came to find out that disabling Adaptive Hypervisor option which will improves the performance generally with bit less audio stutters. Finding out further details some people audio issue was fixed by switching the VM Hypervisor from Apple to Parallels. This actually drastically improves with everything, not hearing any sort of audio stutters but out nowhere, I actually discover completely different audio bug, which has no sound coming out what so ever when Parallels VM is engaged from Mac audio to VM Windows audio. For example, if I've something playing on Mac, powering on the Windows 11 VM, and as soon as any audio plays from VM, the Mac audio stops completely. In order to resume the audio back, I would have to power off the VM, closed out any audio apps on Mac, optional but may have to restart audio services, and even potentially to fully restating the Mac. In this situation, I tried changing VM settings like turning on adaptive hypervisor, changing audio settings from like changing Audio Output and turning off the audio sync with Mac. All of these settings didn't seems to provide as much of improvement or just didn't work. Later, when I came to find out that in Windows 11, it doesn't have Parallels Audio Controller driver was missing. So, I went back to settings and changed the Sound&Camera > Advanced from HD Audio to AC'97 type. The Windows 11 reinstalled the Parallels Tools and fixed the Parallels Audio Controller driver missing but not with no sound or stutter sound in Parallels Hypervisor with/without adaptive hypervisor. For final test, I switch the hypervisor to Apple with adaptive hypervisor off, the no audio seems to fix the issue but still having major issue audio stutters. I've tried with adapter hypervisor on Apple hypervisor, the audio stutters issue still exist. But with I have continue using on Apple Hypervisor and deal with performance hugger.

I hope this information helps out anyone. If Parallels moderates are reading our posts, this experiment will help going forward fixing audio bug on both hypervisors and Parallels Audio Controller driver should be installed by default on HD Audio type option. If anyone have different solution, I'll welcome to try it out.

7. JamesS39

JamesS39 Junior Member

I had this exact problem as well when I upgraded from Parallels 18 Standard to Pro: audio worked until I started up Windows 11 in Parallels, and then it would die on both Windows and macOS, even though both would show that the correct audio output devices were enabled. The fix for me was to switch the hypervisor from Parallels to Apple (under VM configuration > Hardware > CPU & Memory > Advanced... > Hypervisor).

Prior to switching the hypervisor, I had also enabled Full Disk Access for Parallels (in macOS, System Settings > Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access > add Parallels Desktop) and then reinstalled Parallels Tools (in Parallels, Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools), but that alone didn't fix the problem. So I don't know if that step was necessary or if just switching the hypervisor to Apple was enough, but it works now so I'm not messing with it!