Windows 10 usually hangs on boot after Parallels 16 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MatthewS24, Aug 14, 2020.

1. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

Exactly the same issue on upgrading from 15 to Parallels 16 - hanging on windows boot screen spinning circles frozen... Can downgrade back to 15 (for now) but are Parallels going to address this before Big Sur is released??

2. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

So I managed to get Parallels 16 to work - will keep an eye on it over the next few days but steps as follows...

I switched from Apple to Parallels Hypervisor...
    Windows in Parallels then booted...
    Let it install Parallels Tools and restart...
    Shut down the Windows instance....
    Switched back to Apple Hypervisor and rebooted...
    It sat at a black screen for maybe 90 seconds and then booted through to Windows

3. Hanv1

Hanv1 Bit poster

Why not stick with Parallels Hypervisor?

4. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

Dont have a choice at the moment - lots and lots of other perf related issues reported here on Parallels HV vs Apple HV ‍♂️

5. Hanv1

Hanv1 Bit poster

Well according to this threa
    According to this thread there are mixed experiences. Personally I use the Parallels Hypervisor now for a few days and all issues are gone. I use it on a Hackintosh Desktop though.

6. AnteB

AnteB Bit poster

Parallels Hypervisor prevents my MacbookPro from sleep when the lid is closed. It gets really hot in a backpack and it goes through 100% charge in a few hours.

7. AnteB

AnteB Bit poster

Cancelled the subscription (well, turned off auto-renewal due in November). Will try VMWare because this is taking too long...

Sam33 likes this.
  8. Jon1

Jon1 Bit poster

I'm going to chime in with a "me too" - MBP 16" with parallels 16.0.1

With parallels hypervisor:
    - if I close the lid with a VM running, when I open the lid there's about a 50:50 change that the keyboard and mouse don't work any more.
    - the MacBook doesn't sleep properly, it'll go from 100% to 0% overnight
    - visual studio in windows build is very slow

With the apple hypervisor
    - at first, all of the above were fixed
    - but then the windows vm won't boot.

KevinR8 and AnteB like this.
  9. rivon

rivon Bit poster

I am having the same issue with the Apple Hypervisor since Parallels Desktop 16, it hangs when booting. I am using Apple Hypervisor since version 15 due to Parallels' Hypervisor poor performance. Due to the latest update y tried it again and it still fails on startup using Apple's hypervisor, but I noticed something while testing the Parallels Hypervisor. I currently own a 2019 Macbook Pro (8 cores, 32 GB RAM) so I have always used the recommended 8 virtual processor setting, but now I tried to boot with fewer processors and noticed that after 4 processors, performance degrades significatively with typical developer tools like Visual Studio and SQL Server. There is an issue here, so, in order to use Parallels 16, I reduced my processor setting and it performs better now. I hope Parallels' developers take a look at this behavior to this limitation.

Best regards,

Roberto

DSmart likes this.
  10. Ryan2000

Ryan2000 Bit poster

Just upgraded to Parallels 16 and am also seeing this issue with Windows 10 not booting under Apple hypervisor MBP 16" Catalina. Bumping because this is still a problem.

rivon likes this.
  11. Guys, could you please collect the tech report data once the issue reproduced please and post the report's ID here?

12. MarkA23

MarkA23 Bit poster

Tech Report data send: 352786620
    Same issue here. This was my second attempt at upgrade from v15. I tried previously in August to upgrade to v16.0.0, experienced the total hang at Windows start with only the initial splash screen Windows logo displayed, Mac CPU goes up to 100% and stays until I forcibly kill Windows. I downgraded to v15 and finally decided to try again today with v16.1.0, as I was just charged today for my subscription renewal. Same issue still. Total hang, 100% CPU, machine gets HOT, kill windows to get out of it. Going back to v15 again. I also opened a support ticket.

13. CornFly

CornFly Bit poster

Guys, I'm happy to report that this issue seem to be solved with PD 16.1 release (Took some time for it to arrive, but at least it's here now)
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/125053

14. CornFly

CornFly Bit poster

Well, there is still a hang in windows after some idle time in the background, but pausing/resuming often able to unfreeze it now

15. AnteB

AnteB Bit poster

Finally fixed!

16. CarlM1

CarlM1 Bit poster

I fixed the issue of Windows 10 freezing on boot up after upgrading to Parallels 16 by going into the "Windows 10 1" configuration screen and reclaiming disk space available. everything came back after that.