Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GMB1, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Click the Desktop Mac HD icon instead of the Finder icon, it will open your file system at the root and not at /Users/<Username>/, then navigate to Library.

Or...

Click the finder icon then, click 'Go'>'Go to folder' in the top menu bar, then type /Library/Parallels/.

2. adamh227

adamh227 Bit poster

I am also having the same issue. I just reinstalled parallel tools and shared profile is greyed out.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Make sure OS type is selected Windows 7 (experimental), if you do not have it , upgrade to build 3810

4. rdoyle720

rdoyle720 Bit poster

photo viewer hangs

I searched the thread and didn't see a mention of this, every time I try to open an image in 7, the virtual machine hangs. Others experiencing this?

5. John@Parallels

From where you are opening image from Shared Folders?
    Do you have Shared Profile enabled?

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You need to Disable 3D Acceleration in the VM settings (under Video).

7. Brymart64

Brymart64 Bit poster

No Sound in Windows 7... Bootcamp or Parallels 4

I've installed Windows 7 (latest beta) into my Bootcamp partition, but it has no sound, even though Windows suggests that all drivers are working fine and in installed correctly.

I had issues getting it to work in Parallels 4 (latest) because it kept locking up, but managed to get it working, with network functionality when I gave it 1506MB RAM, 2 Processors and turned OFF the 3D Acceleration in Parallels, BUT... still NO Sound...

Running MacBook Pro 10.5.6, 2.5GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB RAM, 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Any suggestions?

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No need to give 2 CPUs or increase memory. Just go to Realtek's website and download the AC'97 drivers for Vista and install those. Then you've to go to the Control panel>Sound and select Realtek Digital Output as the output device instead of speakers (because the sound is choppy if you don't do this).

9. Brymart64

Brymart64 Bit poster

I did already try the Realtek AC'97 drivers for Vista, without any success, any other suggestions?

10. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Did you try this driver:

http://www.download3k.com/files/6285_Vista_APO.zip

which is the one that worked for me and others in this thread?

It may be the same as the one you have already tried, but this is the actual link so avoids any uncertainty.

You still need to change the default to digital audio.

11. Brymart64

Brymart64 Bit poster

Thanks, I'll give it a try... I really do appreciate everyone's help...

12. vitalb

vitalb Parallels Developers

You can check Windows Update - optional updates suggest sound driver. (Really it is Vista's driver and it works fine.)

13. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Windows update offered me a sound driver in the 32 bit version, but not in the 64 bit version.

Are you using 32 bit Windows 7 or 64 bit?

I haven't heard of any problems with sound in the 32 bit, but read about sound problems in the 64 bit all over.

14. Brymart64

Brymart64 Bit poster

I've downloaded the suggested driver and installed it twice, with restarts in between... Without success, unfortunately... I was really hoping it would work this time. I've also tried the windows updates and driver updates, without success also... still dead sound...

Still happy for any other suggestions... annoying that others have been able to overcome this problem...

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

It works equally well on 64bit, that's what I'm using as long as it's the Vista drivers and it's set to digital output.

16. John@Parallels

Specimen, on 32 bit edition I didn't perform any trick, after Windows update it worked,
    on 64 bit edition, Realtek AC97 driver is working , I can confirm

17. Brymart64

Brymart64 Bit poster

Confirmed that it is a 32 bit install... Do you think I may have to clean install again, or is there a way to re install just the sound side of things?

18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Uninstall the audio devices in the Device Manager, restart, let windows detect than do a Windows Update.

19. Brymart64

Brymart64 Bit poster

For some reason, after multiple restarts, the sound has started to work within Parallels, but not when starting up direct in Bootcamp for restarting the computer... Might try the suggestion above when starting up in Bootcamp and see what happens. Thanks.

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Ugh.

In BootCamp the Audio device is a different one than as a virtual machine, for that you should use the Bootcamp drivers that come with OSX Leopard DVD.

The Audio devices while in Parallels and while in Bootcap are different ones. And should be installed separately and independently.