Windows 8 Host -> Network adapter not detected

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by ThomasQ, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ThomasQ

ThomasQ Bit poster

Hi,
    after Upgrading my Host system from Win7 to Win8, Parallels fails to detect its Virtual Network adapters.
    When i try to save a virtual amchine, i get the message "The physical network adapter connected to virtual network adapter 1 does not exist. Do you want to save the virtual machine configuration anyway?"

The network adapters are visible and active in the windows settings.

I already tried to reset the settings in the parallels settings page, but still get the error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Attached Files:

2. sanmag

sanmag Bit poster

I've got exactly the same issue. Please Help!

3. JustusB

JustusB Bit poster

Same Issue

Hopefully the Parallels Team can get us back online quickly.

4. Greho71

Greho71 Bit poster

Check your BIOS. Virtualization Technology may be turned off there. You can reinstall Parallels Tools all day, and it'll make no difference at all.

If Virtualization Extensions (or whatever your BIOS calls it) is turned off, several things won't work, including Coherence.

In my case, turning it on fixed a number of odd issues, including the guest OS failing to recognize the network adapter.

EDIT: Oh, wait, my bad. I didn't read your post carefully enough. For Mac users, Parallels recommends a clean install for Win 8 VMs. Perhaps the same would work better for you, as well?

5. AJAY_SHAH

AJAY_SHAH Bit poster

Physical network adapter connected to virtual network adapter 1 does not exist

I have same problem ThomasQ has.

I believe I upgraded few months ago to Windows 8 CTP and then this started happening. Initially, on Windows 7 it was working.

Please help. There is no Internet access in the virtual machine!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  6. AJAY_SHAH

AJAY_SHAH Bit poster

Solution

Hi

I solved this problem.

GO into Device Manager and then to Network Adapter.
    You will see Parallel Virtual Adapter, two of them one for Wireless and Wired.
    They are disabled.
    So right click and go into Properties.
    Using Administrator privileges Enable it.
    I had to reboot then.
    It will work now.

See attachment picture for help.

Attached Files:

7. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Hi Ajay,

The adapters are not disabled on my system, so I was unable to try your fix. I have actually opened a support case with Parallels, and so far they have suggested I switch to "bridged" mode, which does not work either. Hopefully they will figure it out soon...

Rich S.

8. QiangL

QiangL Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

9. QiangL

QiangL Bit poster

reinstall the parallel tools

reinstall the parallel tools should completely resolve the issue. the network selection is still Shared.

10. andrekn

andrekn Bit poster

Had the same problem, and reinstalling the Tools (both on host and guest OS) did not do it for me.
    But reinstalling the whole Parallels Workstation did! And it was actually very straightforward: One-click uninstall, one-click new install, plus all configurations and virtual machines are still there.

11. OlivierD

OlivierD Bit poster

Hi all,
    Seems that I'm not alone facing this exact same issue, but for me the whole Parallels workstation reinstallation didn't fix anything.

Looking at the device, the "Parallels Virtual NIC" 0 and 1 are present and enabled.
    When reinstalling, the network connections showed "Parallels Host Only Networking Adapter" and "Parallels Shared Networking Adapter".

As Parallels workstation complained about "Parallels Shared #0", I tried renaming "Parallels Shared Networking Adapter" to "Parallels Shared #0", but that didn't fix the issue.

So now I'm stuck with a VM without network access as bridged network is also not working.

12. andrekn

andrekn Bit poster

One more thing: After re-installing Parallels, I reset the network settings. This can be done in:

File > Preferences > Network > Select an Adapter and Edit > Restore Defaults

I did this for the two adapters that I have listed and then it worked.

Sayonaracn likes this.
  13. OlivierD

OlivierD Bit poster

Many thanks to you, andrekn !

After restoring the network settings to default, my VM was able to connect.

14. FrankieS

FrankieS Bit poster

15. andrekn

andrekn Bit poster

Well, don't get excited too soon. For me the problem just re-appeared! :(
    So if anyone has any other pointers to offer, let me know.

16. YanaYana

YanaYana

Guys, would you please reproduce the issue and end the problem report from Help--> Report a Problem.
    Post the ID number here please

17. andrekn

andrekn Bit poster

Thanks for looking into it. The report number is 19509734.

18. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Hi Everyone,

I can get it to work once, after a reinstall of Parallels Workstation, and then as soon as I reboot my host, it no longer works. I submitted a problem report and a support request over the weekend. My Support Request number is: Parallels #1513482. I attached a problem report to the ticket as well. Support has had me switch to bridge networking (didn't work) and reinstall Parallels Tools, which doesn't make sense as the problem exists outside of the VM, Parallels complains about the network BEFORE the VM is powered on. None of this has worked. It is almost like Parallels cannot see the Network adaptors for some reason.

Rich S.

19. OlivierD

OlivierD Bit poster

Don't know if it's related or not but as I wasn't able to use shared networking in my VM, I had to install some of the software in it on the host.

Now that I have those software installed, I'm no longer facing Parallels failing to enumerate the network adapters (when failing Parallels was only showing the "Default Adapter", now it correctly list my network adapter, the openvpn TAP adapter as well as both Parallels Virtual NIC).

Two of the software I required are directly related to the network as they're OpenVPN and Cisco VPN Client.

20. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Update!

Hi Everyone,

Well, after the third email from Parallels Support, I am no closer to getting it to work than before. A clean install will work in bridged mode until I reboot the Windows 8 host, and then Parallels can't find the network cards anymore. Not sure what is going on, but in another post a Parallels rep told someone that Windows 8 is not a supported host OS. That is really odd that it is supported as a guest, but not as a host. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of waiting for Parallels to either update Workstation 6, or release the new product, as I need my VM to work now. I have been Googling and found a possible migration path from Parallels to Microsoft Hyper-V (which is included Free in Windows 8). It consists of using VMware to convert to a VMware format, and then use Virtualbox to convert to a VHD, which can then be used in Windows 8. I have been a big supporter of Parallels, and in fact use Desktop on my Mac, but they have yet to even acknowledge the problem, so I do not expect a rapid solution.

UPDATE: The VMware standalone converter is unable to convert a Workstation 6 VM, so I scrapped that idea. Instead I setup a new Hyper-V VM, and it worked ok, except that there is no sound........ So, I downloaded and installed VMware Player, and am in the midst of building a VM in that. It seems to work pretty well, and the shared networking (called NAT in Vmware) works too. However (and the reason for my update), I was contacted via email by the Parallels support team, and they are going to arrange for an engineer to give me a call to try and resolve this issue. If something comes of it, I'll update my post again. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012