Windows 8 Release Preview will not install on Macbook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RyanLM, Jun 17, 2012.

1. judgedeath2

judgedeath2 Bit poster

New 13" MBA here. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with a tech and exchanged a few emails with tech IIs. They're aware of the issue(s) and working on them:

2. judgedeath2

judgedeath2 Bit poster

Also, it appears to be something between the Parallels hypervisor & new SMBIOS in the Ivy Bridge Macs...

from kernel.log:

3. ArchelaosC

ArchelaosC Bit poster

Any official answer when is going to be fixed ?

4. judgedeath2

judgedeath2 Bit poster

Another update:

After further research and thanks to some legwork by user ksmacneill, it looks like these problems are very likely due to the introduction of SMEP (Supervisory Mode Execution Protection) in the new Ivy Bridge processors.

If you read the brief here :
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Inside-the-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Microarchitecture/1397

It describes SMEP: "This new security mechanism works by blocking any attempt of the execution of the code that is installed in the user memory space when the CPU is running at a privileged level".

Hopefully the Parallels folks can get this fixed quickly!

5. JTango18

JTango18 Bit poster

Update coming on the 28th

I received an email from Parallels Support today to say that an update will be released on the 28th June that will address this issue. 2 days to go!

6. Andrew Rimmer

Andrew Rimmer Bit poster

I received a similar email but it mentioned it would fix the issue with Windows 8 on MacBook Pro retina. There was no mention of whether it would fix the other new MacBook Pros or Airs, or the problems with Linux distros. I emailed straight back for clarification but haven't yet had a reply.

7. SamuelFL

SamuelFL Bit poster

Any update on this? I just got my Macbook Pro Retina, and I'm having the same issue with Windows 8.

8. CambioChangeManagement

CambioChangeManagement Bit poster

Still have not seen the update that was supposed to be available today to fix the bug with Windows 8 on MBP Retina. Any news on when this update / patch will be deployed?

9. JTango18

JTango18 Bit poster

Update Delayed

Received the following email this morning:

Hi,

Just wanted to give you an update - the update that was scheduled for today is delayed. I do not have a new release date yet but hoping it will be in the next week.

Chris

10. MMMichael

MMMichael Bit poster

Same problem here with my new MBP Retina.
    Had no problem installing onto the MBA with Thunderbolt (not the new Ivy Bridge MBA)
    I have no gripe with Parallels but I sure wasted a lot of time trying to install Windows 8 - with all that junk email that I get everyday I sure wouldn't mind an email or some other means of communication to keep me informed of glitches like this one so I don't have to waste so much time trying to do the impossible.

11. Just Lev

Just Lev Bit poster

I DO have a client with a new Ivy Bridge Mac Book Air, that also cannot install the Windows 8 Release Preview. Am I surprised that Parallels didn't make a release date? Nope. Disappointed yes, but not surprised.

Hope they get it right soon. They're making me look bad for recommending them. If it wasn't for coherence mode, I wouldn't.

12. JoshuaZ

JoshuaZ Bit poster

VMWare Fusion still hasn't even released info on an incoming fix.

13. friedmar

friedmar Junior Member

Why should they? At least MBA with Win8 is running like a charm!!!!

14. Contradel

Contradel Junior Member

15. KentonT

KentonT Member

Same issue here as everyone else...

16. Chris Pratt

Chris Pratt Bit poster

First Impressions

Hopefully, someone at Parallels is actually listening, but since there hasn't been *any* public response on this issue, I somehow doubt it. Nevertheless, meet your new, and extremely dissatisfied customer.

I'm a long time VirtualBox user, and only recently purchased Parallels in the MacUpdate bundle, and frankly, I'm glad I did, because at least I got other software for my money and am not completely screwed as a result. I, too, have an MBP/wR, and I, too, can't install Windows 7, Windows 8 RC, or Ubuntu -- in Parallels, at least. Guess where I *can* install all of these? VirtualBox. And, that doesn't cost me a dime. I don't mind paying for software, but the whole entire point of paying for software is *support*, i.e. I support the company so it can, in turn, support me.

Providing no public response to this issue is *bad* customer service. Somehow, VirtualBox, without the backing of a plethora of paying customers, is able to have a fully functional product, but Parallels seemingly can't. Now, that's not to say I'm not understanding. I'm a developer myself, so I know that sometimes things just go sideways. But, you know what *I* do when that happens? I let people *know* there's a problem, rather than ignore my customers/try to avoid bad press, and then I work to fix it. When it's going to take a while, I let people know that too. I give ETAs, when I can, and if I can't, I at least let people know that it's in progress, that their concerns matter, and that I am 100% focused on resolving their problems. You guys have done none of that.

Maybe. Maybe, if *one day* you guys finally fix this issue, I might try your product again (Heck, I've already bought it, so I might as well), and MAYBE, I might like it enough to forget the absolutely disastrous level of customer service. But, in the meantime, anyone I come into contact with interested in Parallels will get an earful, I assure you.

Let me just close by saying that I'm actually a pretty nice guy. The tone of this post may not suggest that, but I'm trying to impart the *urgency* of providing your customers with quality customer service -- it seems you have forgotten that or never learned it properly in the first place. When I'm come across a good product, I voraciously endorse it -- products that I love receive love in return. Doing something as simple as actually replying in this forum with *any* status update would go a long way in changing my opinion of you -- as long as you keep doing it, as long as it takes. That's what makes customers happy.

17. AlvinL

AlvinL Bit poster

MBP 2012 (non-retina) faces the same issue

Hi, I'm also facing the same problem running Parallels 7 (using the latest version) when I tried to install Win 8 Consumer & Release Preview. It just gives the BSOD about some thread exception and doesn't setup the OS successfully. Tried switching off the wizard (to setup manually) but to no avail.

Please help and I truly hope that Parallels will come up with a patch that truly resolves this issue.

18. ViktorE

ViktorE Bit poster

So it's been almost a week since update schedule date, anyone received any update on this from Parallels ?

19. mdcarlson

mdcarlson Bit poster

+1

Mid-2012 Macbook Air with Ivy Bridge. Can't install Windows 8 Preview. Reboots endlessly. I also saw this issue after Installing Ubuntu and then using its software update feature.

Love the Coherence feature, though and am a satisfied customer for those things I bought Parallels to do.

A public response would be nice on this issue.

-mdc

20. JTango18

JTango18 Bit poster

Chris - They have provided a knowledge base article here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/114230 Additionally if you log a formal support ticket they will let you know when the fix is available. Furthermore, they have posted directly in this forum to let customers know they are working on a fix. Not sure what more you want other than the fix itself, which takes time to build and test properly. I'd rather they get it right than rush it out the door.

ViktorE - the last communication I got indicated that they wouldn't have the fix ready for the 28th as originally hoped and that they would try to get it out sometime this week. Fingers crossed, we've still got a couple of days left in the week. :)