Windows is very sluggish

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by AlekseyM2, Dec 3, 2019.

1. ArtistW

ArtistW Bit Poster

Hello I have exactly the same problems and so far no help from Parallels. My system: Parallels 15.1.2 - iMac, MacOS Mojave, 3.1 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB Fusion Drive. For 4 months I have also started from an external SSD 1 TB.
    My only "bad" solution: I have now a external Samsung SSD 1000 GB increased, Windows.pvm copied to it and see there Windows starts in 22 sec and the entire Windows system environment runs so much better. But that can not be the solution and I want to control everything from the internal hard drive. But the error is definitely not on the installed Windows system.

2. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Bit Poster

I think this has something to do with Parallels networking. I noticed that when I have issues with parallels some of my Mac OS applications that use network may freeze. I.e. - when Parallels freezes, Safari may also freeze, then both unfreeze after a timeout or cause the computer to crash, which happened only once thought. Also when I use applications that require network on Windows, like git, they also may freeze for a minute.

3. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Bit Poster

I think this is a different problem, because on my mac Windows starts quickly, I do not observer any delay in windows starting. It is when I try to use some applications, like git, Windows Explorer, or Visual Studio, it may freeze for a minute. Sometimes the entire VM stopps responding, sometimes, just that one window.

4. Angelliki

Angelliki

HOW CAN I PUT IN A TICKET? I CANT EVEN GET THIS SOFTWARE ACTIVATED ON MY COMPUTER?

5. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Bit Poster

OK. I am done with Parallels. Installed Fusion. With two cores per VM my project compiles ~2:45 seconds on Parallels. On Fusion it takes just ~1:50 seconds. With 4 cores Fusion compiles it in ~1:25 seconds. Whoever said Parallels is faster is lying. Parallels is at least 1.5 times slower compared to Fusion.

But I must admit they have very good marketing. The only reason I choose Parallels without trying anything else is because it was sent to me free of charge with a new MacBook Pro that I purchased in 2015. Since then I paid them at least $200 in upgrade money hoping it will fix OS issues. Now I am done with tis. Enough is enough.

6. Abhishek@Parallels

Abhishek@Parallels Staff Member

Hi, please check if proper permissions are provided for Parallels Desktop on Mac System Preferences.
    Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Parallels Desktop should be added under 'Accessibility', 'Full Disk Access' and 'Files & Folders'.

7. AlekseyM2

AlekseyM2 Bit Poster

I used Parallels for 4 years. It certainly does have those checkboxes. It would not even start without those permissions.

8. tekscrivener

tekscrivener Bit Poster

I had this same problem for the past couple months. No amount of tuning the Windows 10 VMs would make them responsive. I just discovered that the root cause is identified here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/high-cpu-usage-due-to-bsdtar-process.348187/ . If you have Parallels Toolbox for Mac running, it keeps a log file on the Mac in ~/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox (~/Library means /Users/your-user-name/Library). It appears that toolbox periodically launches a bsdtar process to archive the log files in this directory, and something causes these processes to hang with high CPU usage. You can quickly get several of these running, all stuck but sucking up CPU cycles. In my case, I believe the cause was improper permissions on the ~/Library directory (no read/execute permission for group or other). I had about 8 of these processes running. I used Activity Monitor to stop them and suddenly my Windows VMs ran at full speed. I've changed the permissions on ~/Library to rwxr-xr-x (with group 'staff'). I don't know yet if this will stop future bsdtar processes from hanging, but I'll keep an eye on it.

9. JohannB2

JohannB2 Bit Poster

Hello,

I have this problem too and I tried several things. At the moment my Windows VM runs smooth and I hope it will stay so. I disabled the Spotlight search for the directory where the VM (.pvm) ist stored. Maybe PD writes in the .pvm file (which is about 150 GB) every time when you open a window or type something and Spotlight will index the .pvm file because the file has changed. In my setup the hdd of the VM ist self-inflating, maybe this could also be a reason.
    Please try this advice and give response here in the forum if it works or not.

Johann

10. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Kilo Poster

Is it possible to get good performance by installing the Parallels application on the Fusion drive, but put the actual VMs on an external SSD drive?

11. ArtistW

ArtistW Bit Poster

Hello jimcoyle , yes that also helped me. Now I have my entire system on an external SSD (Samsung SSD 1TB) and I also start the Mac from it. Everything is much faster now.