you do not have enough rights to use this virtual machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jesaf00, Nov 11, 2008.

1. KKRip

KKRip Bit poster

same problem...you do not have enough rights to use this virtual machine

I am having the same problem. Parallels worked in my login until I ran it in another's. Everything worked fine for all users in 3.0 but this started in 4.0. Can someone help me with the specific command?

I ran this command: sudo chmod -R +a "Kirk-Man allow file_inherit,directory_inherit,list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,
    readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity" "Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP.pvm"

My user name is Kirk-Man. I think I have the path right. Could someone look at it and tell me if it's right?

I ran the command and it asked for a password. I entered my user password (I'm the main admin on the system).

It then gave me this message: chmod: Unable to translate 'readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity' to a UID/GID

If someone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise it's useless.

Kirk

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Hello Kirk.

I guess problem is around "reads ecurity" - i mean unnecessary space symbol there.

3. dzagar

dzagar Bit poster

same problem...

Same as everyone else. Worked fine on 3.0. Then installed 4.0 and intially worked. Couldn't access VM on my wife's login, so I did the:

sudo chmod -R og+rwx "[MachineName].pvm"

which allowed me to access it on her login. However, now I can't get in on mine, and nothing will work to let us both access the VM.

Any help?

4. sandro

Hello.

Very strange problem. Could you please reproduce issue one more time, create problem report and post here it id.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please try to shutdown VM, before switching to another account

6. Ole_D

Ole_D Bit poster

Hi,
    updated today to 4.0. I have the same problem. Shutdown VM doesn't work. Both user have read/write rights. I set the other account to owner on the .pvm - now i can't open the VM.

7. John@Parallels

try to delete .mem and .sav file from pvm bundle

8. utopia

utopia Junior Member

I fixed it and now all of a sudden it reverted back to the initial problem. "you do not have enough rights to use this virtual machine" This is crazy. I would delete the .mem and .sav but I don't know how. I must say the responses from the Parallels team members are always a bit cryptic and seem to be talking to people who have computer science backgrounds, not the average everyday consumer. All I want is Parallels to fix it or tell me how to fix it once and only once. Thank you.
    Andrew

9. sandro

In this case try to shutdown VM through correspond guest OS actions. Shutdown VM working properly just in cases when you have properly Parallels Tools installed at guest OS or guest OS supporting ACPI interface.

10. sandro

I'm afraid that your problem is some specific and do not match to VM sharing between several users test case (as i right understood you speaking about some issue with file placed on shared folder). Could you please specify problem with more details and send us problem report.

11. utopia

utopia Junior Member

Please refer to #13. I work in autocad. Basically I'm trying to reference one file to another file. For a while it worked and then I tried to do it again and the message box popped up you do not have enough rights to use this virtual machine please see administer. It's frustrating as my business needs this to work. Thank you.
    Andrew

12. sandro

Yes, i've been read that post already. But can't to say something until have necessary info. Could you please reproduce issue one more time, create and send us problem report and post here it id.

13. utopia

utopia Junior Member

Here is one problem report id 24800. I couldn't update Para;;e; Internet Security.

14. sandro

OK, thank you for report. Seems issues related to your guest OS Vista. Note that at Windows Vista appeared special security feature Users Access Control (UAC) which restricted rights even if you're working under privileged user (local Administrator). You can switch off UAC globally (please refer with Windows Help to determine how it can be done) or running applications through context menu item "Run as Administrator".

15. utopia

utopia Junior Member

Now my Parallels Internet Security Database is corrupt . When I installed V3 it worked out of the box and I assumed V4 would be the same, well you know the saying when you assume you make an ..... here is my new Problem Report id 24831. I tried to reinstall and it's the same. Please anyone help me. Thank you.
    Andrew

16. sandro

Andrew.

Please try to submit an official request to our support (support.parallels.com). Maybe it's already well known issue of guest Windows Vista behavior. Your problem isn't related to VM sharing test case (main theme of this thread). So all scenarios and actions discussing here can't to help you.

17. John@Parallels

Let me clarify,
    in Parallels Desktop version 3, there was no Parallels Internet Security, only Kaspersky
    Parallels Internet Security is different product, and has separate database and settings
    I suppose problem may be caused, that old version was incorrectly installed and thus not removed, and installing Parallels Internet security above it, somehow messed things,

sandro's suggestion is reasonable, please create ticket in support http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/

18. utopia

utopia Junior Member

2 Days of Lost Work

Here is my issue now it is the original issue I had. I was able to correct the Parallels Internet Security issue.
    I'm the only user of this machine so I don't need to share the machine. All I'm trying to do is link a file to another file. I'm attaching an image of the pop up I get.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  19. utopia

utopia Junior Member

I've cleared up the Security issue. Now my original issue is occurring again. I'm the only user of this machine so I don't need to share the computer. All I'm trying to do is attach a .dwg file to another .dwg file. This is in autocad Architecture 2009. I'm attaching an image of the pop up I get. I've already lost 2 days of work time trying to correct something that seems like it would be an easy solution. Thanks everyone for your patience.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  20. John@Parallels

Try to save and open files on c: drive int the root,
    Check what is happening