Parallels build 5600 and DHCP problems

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Softfailur, May 9, 2008.

1. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Manfredell:

If you are using a windows server to do DHCP, then you may need to release the mac addressess. I use a router to do DHCP, that is why I suggested rebooting the router.

MV

2. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Yes we are using a Windows 2003 R2 server.
    The issue is that with the previous release of Parallels all works as expected. the new release broke that. I'm not supposed to release IP's or do whatever else to get P working around the new introduced bug.

3. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

Mike (sassoon),

Rebooting the DHCP server doesn't solve the problem because it isn't a DHCP issue. The VM adopts the Mac host's IP address regardless. The only workaround with Bridged networking that I've found to work is the one bi11 outlined above - to specify a static IP in Windows properties. That's not a solution for me though. I need Bridged to work the way it used to before Build 5600 broke it.

4. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

Manfredell,

John McG is the 2nd-line support person I've been communicating with. After John said that they could not reproduce the problem I told him about this thread to demonstrate that others were reporting the problem here even if they were not bothering to submit support requests. I've been responding to his queries and last night he sent the results to the developers who sent back the list of questions he posted here. I was a bit surprised that he didn't identify himself.

5. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

fortuna,

that's exactly the point. They broke a MAJOR feature of networking with this!!!
    And, as so often, or better as usual, still no reply from so called support!

6. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Aha! How are we supposed to know that he is from support. Normally there is a Parallels icon.

7. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

* Parallels Desktop version and build: Parallels Desktop- -> About Parallels Desktop

We're talking about the latest build here 5600

* an XML file with a copy of system profile: Applications --> Utilities --> System Profiler --> File --> Save

to big to be uploaded!

* Guest OS full version with SP included (if they are);

Windows XP SP3

* a copy of /home/<username>/Documents/Parallels/<VM name>/<GuestVM>.pvs

attached

* Archive of /Library/Parallels/bugreports/ (right click on folder --> Create Archive)
    or ~/Library/Parallels/bugreports/

NONE

* /Library/Logs/panic.log
    or ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Parallels.crash.log from the Mac side;

NONE

using bridged networking over the wifi card.

1. Please tell me if you have Keyspan programs installed on Mac.

What's that???

2. Do you have Firewall enabled on Mac and Windows sides?

Yes. Mac: Doorstop Windows: eset

3. Do you have VPN?

No

Attached Files:

8. Azbuckeyeracer

Azbuckeyeracer Junior Member

John McG is either not a Parallels SWSoft employee or he has bad advice from his management team on how to present his account/participation on this forum. This user community expects better, I do not care if he is a first-day employee, his mangers should know better.

9. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

Well, I'll expect perfection from others just as soon as I manage it myself. There's a lot of complaining about Parallels support in this thread but how many people are actually working with them to try and nail this problem?

10. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

The bottom line on John McG is that he's trying to help...which seems not to be recognized here.

11. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

The bootomline is that they release producte with major bugs!!

12. bi11

bi11 Hunter

The temporary fix that works for me

In your Vm under networking, select "use specific device", then in your VM assign a Static IP address. This will allow you to still use bridged networking, till Parallels actually fixes the issue.

13. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Guys,
    Let me apologize for the inconvenience.
    We made an attempt to implement DHCP for Bridged Ethernet with Airport.
    Unfortunately, we made a mistake. Soon we will release new build with fix for this issue.

14. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Finally a word from heaven!

Thanks

15. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

Cool. Thanks!

16. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

The bottom line on the product is that there are bugs. And as I said, referring only to John, is his bottom line here is that he tried to help, which in my opinion is a good thing and deserves recognition.

17. STim

STim Bit poster

We prepared an update with this bug fixed. The update contains only this bug fix.

Please let us know how it works for you. Thank you in advance.

18. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Looks good looking from the 1st 15 mins with it.

Thanks!

19. fortuna

fortuna Junior Member

Sorry to say, Tim, it doesn't work for me. After an hour of testing, this is the story.

I reset the VM to the default configuration (bridged, default) and Windows IP to Automatic (DHCP); and the Mac System Prefs/Network to Automatic. This is how it was set when working perfectly in the build prior to upgrading to the original 5600.

I stopped the VM and restarted the Mac host.

1. If I start the VM in the normal fashion, the VM grabs the Mac host's DHCP-assigned IP address, the Mac reports an IP address conflict, and loses connectivity. The DHCP server log still lists the Mac's hostname (& its IP address, which the VM is now successfully using with full connectivity) but not the VM's hostname.

2. If I change TCP/IP settings in the Mac host's System Prefs/Network to Manual, assign it a new IP from outside the DHCP server's allotted range for clients to the Mac host, power down the DHCP server (router), wait 10 seconds, and power up the router, the VM gets a DHCP lease and the VM hostname now appears in the DHCP server log, and the Mac has full connectivity with its manual IP address.

3. If I then reset the Mac Host to DHCP and, without stopping the VM, power cycle the router, the Mac Host gets the IP address of the VM & the Mac's hostname now shows up in the DHCP client log, but the Mac reports an IP address conflict & loses conectivity.

Choosing the Airport adaptor in Parallels VM network configuration instead of 'default' makes no difference to the above. It seems to me that bridged networking is not yet fixed in the new Parallels Build 5600. What has changed with the new build is in (2) above, that I can now get the VM hostname to show up in the DHCP client list.

Thanks for trying, but it's not there yet.

20. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Yes. The error appears here again, also....
    Better but not fixed yet.