Leopard 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aderium, May 30, 2008.

1. Cynops

Cynops Junior Member

It is simple.

Turn off every program running on your machine.
    Run the downloaded 5604 installer. It will update your 5600 installation.
    Restart your Macintosh
    Turn on parallels and start your vm.
    Log in and let it sit there for a few minutes and the Parallels Tools installer should start by itself and update Parallels Tools.

At that point you should be ready to go.

That process worked for me.

2. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

Just for the record I updated to 5604. Everything is working fine now.
    But it seems for many it's not.

I think it's about time the Parallels started taking a serious look at providing better support for people having issues with what was a defective version. (5600)

Directed to the Parallels team:

Remember Parallels not everybody is "tech" and simply having a link hidden in a forum with an attitude of "here it is fend for yourself" is not good enough. That's how I view it anyway. Even the link on the website still shows 5600 as the current. And what about those downloading the demo to try out.

It shouldn't be up to other users to help one another out sorting out this mess your program's caused people. Most people using Parallels are just computer users that expect programs to work, without spending hours trying to solve issues that were not caused by them.

3. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

You're not the only one who thinks that:

http://itnerd.wordpress.com/2008/05/31/parallels-desktop-vs-vmware-fusion-which-is-better/

The dude uses PD and he tries to be fair. He does say this:

"One thing that I will say is that the first company to improve their tech support and get the word out there that they have superior tech support may be able to steal this market."

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hello all,

I will try to answer to all questions for past 2 days
    1. For whom it didn't help, please reinstall Parallels Desktop as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790
    We tested in every possible combination, and we are sure that flickering problem is resolved - and at last if problem is still there, please create ticket in support, with subject flickering - just give a call and ask assign to John @Parallels.
    I will be able to trace those tickets during weekend

2. About localized builds, we are doing very hard work to localize Parallels Desktop as soon as possible, I hope I will be able to provide some information in Monday

3. About hidden link - we are working to improve autoupdate, and again I hope, I will be able to answer in Monday about this

Please provide additional questions, if I missed something

5. Ephra

Ephra Member

Got the same flickering probs after updating leopard 10.5.3
    The 5604 update with clean install solved all issues.
    Thanks

6. stahly

stahly Member

Process/Directions for Upgrading in General

I agree with an earlier post about not being 'tech'. I am actually pretty good with this stuff but Parallels MUST do a better job at making it MUCH easier for a *common* (READ:majority) user to understand what to do about upgrading, eg when, what, where, how, etc. For instance, I'm still on 10.5.2 and 5584 and I am really not sure what process I should take to upgrade to 5604. Do I first go to 10.5.3, then 5600, 5604, or skip 5600, or skip 10.5.3....endless combinations.... The scariest one is when someone suggest to 'uninstall' parallels....do I lose my VM and all my data when I do this? Honestly, I've forgotten...which is why you should have an 'upgrade center' or something that answers this stuff. PLEASE consider MOST users are COMMONERS for your product! thanks

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Uninstalling Parallels doesn't delete your preferences and VMs.

The installing order of OS X 5.3 and Parallels 3 build 5604 is not important you can install either first, but I would recommend updating OS X first and then upgrading Parallels. You don't have to install 5600 in order to go to 5604 you can go to it directly.

I hope that that was helpful.

8. stahly

stahly Member

yep thx..but....

thx Specimen, but I'm also hoping that Parallels reads this thread and I'm hoping that others will respond in support of my suggestion to make this easier for us Proletariat out there. What's ironic is that most folks expect things to 'just work', dare I say much like a Windows Security update from MS (most of the time)...or better yet, like a Java update :) but those are likely the same folks that won't even likely ever get to this Forum!

thx for you help regardless!

9. John@Parallels

Thank you , for comment

Steps are:
    1. Install 10.5.3
    2. Install 5604
    3. If problem is still over there, use mentioned kb

10. rft

rft Member

@john/parallels: I have installed 5604 exactly according to the mentioned kb, I still get flickering as described in my earlier posts. I have submitted a bug report with the word "Flickering" as the start of a detailed comment text (As a workaround I currently work in Coherence mode, where the flickering does not appear).

11. Old Marine

Old Marine Member

Successful Upgrade

John,

Thanks for posting the simple steps you provided. I followed them and successfully updated to 10.5.3/5604. I have been observing the VM running XP/SP2 and Outlook and IE for a couple of hours now and none of the previous behavior is now evident.

12. chipjones22

chipjones22 Bit poster

Where do I find 5604? The latest installer still seems to be 5600.

13. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

14. jrdub

jrdub Junior Member

Following the instructions of the *UPDATED* kb (not the one originally posted) finally seems to have done the trick. If you have yet to update to 5604, make sure you perform the terminal commands especially, those seem to be the key.

15. John@Parallels

No, Terminal commands are not the key, it is just to make sure if permissions on Mac side are broken, you can correctly remove old version

16. jrdub

jrdub Junior Member

Well, I followed the original Kb instructions to the letter which had me do many of the same (but not all) things in Finder and still I had flickering. The only difference I can see is the terminal commands. Maybe it's something else in the updated instructions, but I fail to see what since the original is no longer available for comparison. And, yes, I repaired permissions beforehand in both cases and rebooted before and after performing the actions in Kb. I installed tools both times too.

17. John@Parallels

Did you reinstall Parallels Tools?

18. jrdub

jrdub Junior Member

Please read the last sentence of my last post.

19. John@Parallels

Ok, please create ticket in support queue and provide following information:

* Parallels Desktop version and build: Parallels Desktop- -> About Parallels Desktop
    * an XML file with a copy of system profile: Applications --> Utilities --> System Profiler --> File --> Savea
    * Guest OS full version with SP included (if they are);
    * a copy of /home/<username>/Documents/Parallels/<VM name>/<GuestVM>.pvs
    * Archive of /Library/Parallels/bugreports/ (right click on folder --> Create Archive)
    or ~/Library/Parallels/bugreports/

* /Library/Logs/panic.log
    or ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Parallels.crash.log from the Mac side;

20. jrdub

jrdub Junior Member

John, you seem to have reading comprehension problems. I am not reporting a problem. Follow the thread. I said "Following the instructions of the *UPDATED* kb (not the one originally posted) finally seems to have done the trick." Therefore, I'm only commenting on why the following the original Kb didn't solve my problem but the quietly updated new Kb seems to work fine. Because I followed the procedure installing the identical software, build 5604, in both cases. But it wasn't until the Kb was updated that the installation fixed the flickering issue. And, no, I didn't miss a step in either case. I was very, very attentive to every detail in both Kb's because Parallels is mission-critical to me and I cannot afford to have it down. If the Kb worked the first time around, why would Parallels update it? Obviously, something in there needed to be addressed for the 5604 build to work properly in every scenario Parallels tested. I rest my case.