Cannot install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by The Belgain, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Management is listening very carefully to all this , and as I mentioned earlier, Linux priority is increased, most of developers are working on Linux Tools now

2. tsferreira

tsferreira Bit poster

In May John promised that the problem would be solved until the end of June. I decided to postpone buying Parallels (used the test version) until I see a solution, but it seems that a new version of Ubuntu might come out before anything happens :-(.

3. John@Parallels

Meanwhile you can test Parallels Servers for 2 month free (format is compatible with PD 4 upcoming), tools are working for Ubuntu

4. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

So basically for tools to work in Ubuntu I will have to use parallels server demo and then would have to pay to upgrade to parallels desktop 4. You are not going to have this working in parallels desktop 3?

Please correct your statement if that is not what you meant cause that is how I am reading it right now.

5. John@Parallels

Internal engine for PD 4 and PD 3 is different,
    And we are working on Parallels Tools for PD3, they will be published, but there are still problems we are working on

6. John@Parallels

Hi, there
    Build with Parallels Tools is passed to QA team

7. stf

stf Bit poster

Yipee!
    Does this mean that we can get non-english builds in two or three months? Or will it take longer?

8. schwartz

schwartz Member

Will the new parallels tools support opensolaris as well?

or is it just linux?

Now that it's passed QA how about letting us play with it?:)

thanks,
    Bill

9. Leonard

Leonard Member

When will it enter the long dormant beta/open beta?

10. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

Do you have an ETA on this build by any chance?

11. John@Parallels

I will submit additional details when have information

12. johnl1479

johnl1479 Bit poster

4 days later and....

13. John@Parallels

I have it installed and I am testing

14. Arturo Martinez

Arturo Martinez Bit poster

anything like a beta available?

Hi,
    We have hundreds of parallels installed (we must be one of your best customers in Germany) and as the IT department it is embarrasing that we have to tell our users they can use parallels for WinXP but not for Ubuntu at the moment and they need virtualbox to run ubuntu as a guest OS under a macosx host

15. shavital

shavital Member

Parallels [future] build compatible with Ubuntu 8.04 (and more)

PLEASE, test it as much as you need, for how long as it takes, but in the end release a build that's it going to work, and I mean to work, with Ubuntu (8.04 and beyond, whenever possible), without messing up existing virtual disks. Till now, the only hitch with Ubuntu 8.04 was the issue with the xserver.org version (as far as I know), that prevented to install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04. Windows XP was OK (for me at least).
    My wish "list" is that the oncoming build of Parallels will not only enable to install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron), but will also respect or improve the performance of Parallels with Windows XP Pro.

All the best with your testing, and I mean it.
    Charly

16. John@Parallels

I will ask is it possible to provide test build over here

17. shavital

shavital Member

Test build Parallels 3.0 for Ubuntu 8.04 (Parallels Tools etc...)

John@Parallels, please provide the information and download link ONLY, and I repeat ONLY if it is a build that has been tested and found as good as possible, OFFICIALLY by Parallels. Thanks for your interest.
    Charly

18. Arturo Martinez

Arturo Martinez Bit poster

speak for yourself

shavital, speak for yourself man. We would be very happy to try a stable beta release.
    Nobody puts a gun on your head to try a beta version

19. shavital

shavital Member

Next Parallels build

I always speak for myself, man, and I have already tested all kinds of Parallels builds, without any gun to my head, that you can possibly know.
    I know, by experience, what half-baked builds, released under "forum pressure" can do to one's system.

Regards.

20. wallenpb

wallenpb Bit poster

Any update?

I just purchased Parallels Workstation 2.2 today specifically to use it with Ubuntu 8.04. I was very disappointed to find that the tools install does not work. Questions: When will an update to correct this be distributed? What is the policy for upgrades on this product?

Anyway, I can see we all are pleading for this here on the forum...

Thanks,
    wallenpb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.