Parallels 4.0 won't start WindowsXP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by raka, Nov 11, 2008.

1. TonyMoroney

TonyMoroney Junior Member

Ask the retailer where you purchased the software for a refund, if they refuse to make good and you bought it with a Visa or Mastercard you can speak to your card issuer and ask them to initiate a "chargeback" procedure as you consider your purchased goods to be "unfit for purpose". If you paid via paypal then I'm not sure what their buyer protection is like?

2. neuonyx

neuonyx Bit poster

question for rick_4t

Can you please tell me - are you running transporter in v3 or v4 first :)

3. bhilton

bhilton Bit poster

Thank you so much for providing these instructions. They fixed my problems and 4.0 is now working for me.

4. rick_4t

rick_4t Bit poster

I ran transporter in v4.

5. D Lewis

D Lewis Bit poster

Wow...

I'm glad I checked out the forum! I was thinking an upgrade would be good but this brings back the 2x/3x nightmare I experienced. I have to use this machine for work and can't afford a couple of days of downtime like I had last time around.

I'll keep watching to see when this all smoothes out. Thanks all!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  6. sharkmeat

sharkmeat Bit poster

Possible Solution to Parallels 4.0 Upgrade

I'm going to post this here as this topic seems to be getting the most hits and this worked for me and several other people.
    --------
    So if you are like the vast majority of us stuck in a loop during the VM upgrade process from v3 to v4 here is a possible solution. I cannot guarantee that everything has been upgrade but so far my v4 VM has been working OK.

After trying "Backup & Convert" for the first time and the upgrade does not complete the v4 upgrade try the following.

1) In Parallels 4 goto the menu File>Run Parallels Transporter...

2) Parallels Transporter will open click Continue

3) Select Express and click Continue

4) Select Virtual Machine and click Continue

5) Select Virtual Disk and click Continue

6) Click Choose and navigate to your old Virtual Machine (VM) hard drive image. Please note that the new structure of version 4 may make the old VM hard to find but you are looking for a large file normally around 30GB called something similar to winxp.hdd. You may even have to navigate inside this file to another file with the exact same name. Just keep navigating down until you can't go any further. Once you have selected your old .hdd file click Continue

7) Parallels transporter will now migrate the .hdd image to a new VM

8) When finished make sure to check "Start the new VM" (or something similar I forgot to right it down but there is a check box you need to check before you click Finish)

9) The upgrade process will start again. If you get the "Manual Upgrade" message click yes and proceed with the manual upgrade. If Windows pops up a message about reactivating click "No" - if the mouse doesn't work use the arrow keys. After Step 2 of the upgrade you may even get another error message saying the VM cannot be upgraded - don't let up - keep going. You will probably get the "Windows Reactivation" message again - click "No" (this time the mouse will probably work) - cancel all the "New Hardware Detected" windows and anything else that pops up - be very patient and it should automatically start up with Step 3 - just wait and be patient. Step 3 should upgrade the "Virtual Hardware" and takes a loooong time. You'll probably have to go through all the errors again as stated above before Step 4 will automatically start.

10) Your nearly there - it's so great that Parallels has instructions and support documents for this :) Step 4 installs the latest version of Parallels Tools. Probably the quickest of the steps. You should then be presented with "Your virtual machine has been successfully upgraded" - I beg to differ on the description ;) but you should have a working VM.

11) One more thing - you'll probably have to reactivate Windows :( which will probably mean you will have to phone Microsoft 1-888-571-2048 for them to activate it over their automated telephone system. Remember you are activating on only ONE machine, it has only ever been installed on ONE machine and you have had a significant hardware upgrade when asked these questions during the upgrade process.

12) Everything should now be up and running - I've tried a few applications and no trouble so far.

So I hope this helps with those stuck in the upgrade loop - wow what an easy upgrade that was!!! NOT.

7. neuonyx

neuonyx Bit poster

FIXED! But mouse doesn't work :(

I did this.. which seemed to work (genius!) but now i can't for the live of me get my mouse (trackpad on mbp) to work!!! ack help! :)

8. theand

theand Bit poster

Just chirping up to say I have the same problem.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  9. STim

STim Bit poster

I wish it was that simple.

Unfortunately, the problem is somewhere deeper, and looks like it more relates to the history of the VM, since we've seen complaints on the same behavior of gracefully stopped VM. To be able to deal with the problem faster we need more details on what's happening.

If the symptoms are like this: you start the upgrade, it stalls at stage 1, and after switching to manual mode you see a picture like attached, please tell us

1. What's the VM origin? Was the guest OS installed in some older version of Parallels Desktop (which one?), or was it transported from real host or VMware or VirtualPC?

2. Is this XP Home or Pro? Which service pack it had originally once installed? Which service pack it had before conversion to Parallels Desktop 4?

3. What was last done to the VM before upgrading to PD4? Was it in suspended state? Or was it paused and then shut down via red "stop" button? Or was it shut down gracefully?

4. If the backup of the VM is not that huge, are you ready to share it with Parallels so that we could take a closer look on what's happening to the VM during the upgrade process? Please send me a private message if you are.

We are working hard on resolving the issue.

Attached Files:

10. theand

theand Bit poster

It sounds like you're having a nightmare!

My VM is from version PD 3.0

Mine is XP Pro. I can't honestly say which service pack it had on unfortunately but I think it was SP 2 and I think I installed XP at SP 2

My VM was in a suspended state.

My VM is 8GB's in size. I'm happy to share it and it's contents with you if it helps you guys.

**Edit**
    For your info as Windows boots and fails this blue screen of death (attached) very briefly flashes on the screen for a second and I managed to grab it

Attached Files:

11. STim

STim Bit poster

theand,

Check your private messages please

12. raka

raka Junior Member

1. : OS Guest was installed on Parallels 3.x (5608)

2. : WindowsXP Professional ServicePack2 and updated with Service Pack3.

3. : GuestOS was shutting down, no suspended or paused.

4. : Hmmm. Ok, i can send u my VM but it's 30Gigs.

13. heffalump

heffalump Bit poster

I also tried…

Hi,

Last night I launched my VM XP Pro on Parallels 3, with a view to trying the upgrade to 4 again. I removed Kaspersky Internet Security and relics of AVG Free and shut down the VM from the Turn Off button in XP. Then installed Parallels 4 and had exactly problems detailed before - the upgrade/conversion starts and then application crashes and quits. I don't see anything to indicate what Step of the process I am at when the crash happens nor am I prompted to go to Manual Upgrade. I don't see the screen in Tim's pic.

In Response to Tim's request for specific information:
    1. The VM is from Parallels 3 (build 5626). I have used Parallels since version 1, although I think I installed this copy of XP Pro when I got Parallels 3.
    2. Running XP Pro with Service Pack 3, original install included SP2.
    3. Prior to attempting to upgrade the VM was shutdown "gracefully" from the Turn Off button in XP Pro.
    4. My disk image is 7.8GB and would take a year and a day to send to you on my laughable Broadband connection, so sorry but no to that!

Additionally, I have only one user, with no password needed for login, although my accounts panel shows a guest user (switched off) and an ASP.NET Machine A (Limited account, Password protected); the latter may or may not be connected to map software installed on the VM.

Hope that helps us get a fix for this soon.

14. STim

STim Bit poster

raka,

Thank you. Do you see a BSOD? Is it a BSOD "B4" like on theand attachment or a BSOD "5A" like posted by one of customers previously?

The 30 GB VM sounds like the upload will take ages and investigation will be delayed. So, let's wait, probably someone else will agree to share the VM and it'll be smaller.

heffalump,

This is totally different problem. To be able to investigate it, please simply run PD4 application, go to Help->Report a problem, send problem report and provide us with the report ID.

15. raka

raka Junior Member

STim:

No BSOD, just stopped convert at Step 1 without Errors. Please read my previous Posts before in this Thread.

"On both Websites is not a Solution for this "Problem". Parallels 4.0 can't upgrade the existing 3.0 VM, because the Progress bar stopped at (maybe) 20%. The Upgrade stopped and WindowsXP starts for a second, then the VM stopped and shows the black XP Screen. That's absolutely annoying, because the Migration from 2.x to 3.0 was easy and fast. Without any Problems.

Machine: MacPro 2x2.0 Xeon, 6GB RAM, 512MB ATI3870HD, 500GB Harddisk.
    "

16. STim

STim Bit poster

raka,

Please:
    1. Launch Parallels Explorer from Applications->Parallels->Parallels Explorer
    2. Open your VM's HDD.
    3. Browse to c:\windows\
    4. Check if there's a file called "Minidump" there.
    5. If so, please attach it here. If not, please just let me know.

17. raka

raka Junior Member

No File or Folder called "Minidump".

Edit: Tried to upgrade an "older" 3.0 VM (WindowsXP with SP2). Now, the Progress Bar comes up to (maybe 30%) and stopped. But then Parallels stopped and asked me to switch to manual Mode. GuestOS comes up and starts upgrading Drivers?. After that, the VM stopped and the Upgrade Process bar comes up again. But the VM stopped again without errors.

18. heffalump

heffalump Bit poster

Reinstalled, selected backup and convert, this time I got a fatal error dialogue rather than the usual crash and quit. Submitted report, id 11001.

19. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

It's good to see support!

Parallels Team:

Thanks for coming to help!

Is there a way to tell if the installation is correct once PD 4 is up and running? Could you tell us what the 4 steps are exactly? I've seen here that step 1 is conversion, step 3 is virtual driver updating, and step 4 is install Parallels Tools. Is this correct? I ask because although PD 4 appears to be working now on my iMac Duo Core with XP Home sp3- after a few attempts at installing it- I don't know if it is operating as designed and/or at optimal efficiency. Perhaps if I know what all the steps are I would know what to look for in terms of correct operation.

Background: during my first attempt at installing v. 4 my computer went through step 1 fine, albeit slowly, then hung up on step 2. A window saying the upgrade could not be completed came up, but nothing about manual installation. When I closed that window out, a rudimentary VM window was still present so I went to the PD menu to attempt to install Parallels Tools manually. This brought up the "4 step" window again and it again stalled at step 2, this time not allowing my input devices to work. I force-quit Parallels and reinstalled v. 4 and this time, rather than going to "4 step" window, it just seemed to slowly open XP while asking for the location of various hardware drivers. I was able to manually install Parallels Tools (although nothing told me to attempt that), and now everything seems to work fine. Files and programs from v. 3 seem to open and operate correctly. It even stopped looking for drivers, and is running in Coherence mode. The changes I see are very impressive! I just want to make sure everything is as it should be. Is there a way of verifying whether or not the installation is complete and correct? Since I never got some of the screens and messages others have reported here (e.g., never saw the screen you posted, never saw a window for steps 3 or 4, wasn't asked to re-activate Windows), and the apparently successful attempt took well under an hour, I'm a little wary about the true success of my upgrade. I see the v.4 Tools listed in my Program list, and the upgrades seem to be listed in PD/Preferences, but if there was some check I could run to put my mind at ease I'd love to know about it.

20. infomatique

infomatique Bit poster

I have this problem but with Vista

Basically I have the same problem but with Vista, after a number of attempts I now get a "Blue Screen" (too quick to actually read it) if I manage to select "Safe" boot. I have a secondary problem in that I no longer have a copy of Version 3. As Far as I know the images that i have are ugrades from version 2 (possibly earlier as I purchased Parallels as soon as it became available)