Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GMB1, Dec 28, 2008.

1. STim

STim Bit poster

My personal opinion - Windows 7 is worth a try, even though it's beta now. I like it more than Vista already.

2. Saiing

Saiing Junior Member

How do you install Parallels Tools? When I choose the "Install Parallels Tools" option from the Actions menu, it starts the installation, but then I get a dialogue popup saying:

"Paralles Tools can be automatically installed only if you use NT-based Windows system (Windows NT/2000/XP/2003). In case of other version of Windows operating system you have to install Parallels Tools manually. See Parallels Workstation User Guide for further details. The installation will be stopped".

Except there's nothing about manually installing on Vista (which Windows 7 is running as) in the User Guide.

How did you get it to work? I really want to get the network driver running.

3. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Member

Does the Windows 7 Aero Glass UI work inside a Parallels 4 VM?

4. etrigan63

etrigan63 Bit poster

I installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and everything works except sound. No audio driver found. Is there any way to activate the Aero effects as well?

5. etrigan63

etrigan63 Bit poster

OKaayyy....

My Windows 7 x64 install works fine unless I try to launch Freecell and then it locks up the VM. o_O?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Check that you have OS type selected Windows 7,and build is 3810

7. mobilehavoc

mobilehavoc Junior Member

Everything seems to work fine but Windows 7 can't access any shared folders... .psf or whatever. Coherence and other stuff works fine though.

8. wranglerdriver

wranglerdriver Bit poster

I have installed windows 7 beta with 1GB ram, 32GB HD on a mac book pro. The installation went fine and i was able to install the parallel tools.

The problems that i have are there is no audio, and i am unable to run programs like freecell and the picture viewer.

IE seems to work ok, Windows explorer also works, as does the system control panel.

Any ideas what is up and how to fix?

Thanks

9. Hardtarget

Hardtarget Bit poster

this doesn't work as I'm using Parallels 3 build 5626

I was able to install Windows 7 no problem by using the 2008 Experimental setting (as there is no windows 7 setting) but as the earlier user said I can't install parallel tools :(

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  10. Peter Whysall

Peter Whysall Junior Member

I, too, had a stalled installation

And changing from "Windows 7" to "Other Windows" allowed it to resume.

11. John@Parallels

Use Windows Vista as OS type, please note there is no guarantee that it will work, officially it is supported only in version 4

12. Saiing

Saiing Junior Member

Ran it as Windows Vista OS type on Parallels 3.0 - installed fine but tools won't install.

Decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Parallels 4.0. Everything installed absolutely flawlessly.

Great job guys. It's lightning fast.

13. Peter Whysall

Peter Whysall Junior Member

Installing Windows Live Essentials onto the 64-bit version causes my VM to lock up shortly after boot.

14. uidepara

uidepara Hunter

Audio Driver: Install an old audio driver for the Intel 82801 BA/BAM AC'97. It won't work but once the driver is configured and the device recognized as Intel 82801 BA/BAM you can get the newest Microsoft Driver via update. Result: Sound inside a Windows 7 machine.

15. cluteman

cluteman Bit poster

I'm getting the same error, with 64-bit and 32-bit versions.

16. John@Parallels

17. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I can't believe how easy it has been to install the public beta in Parallels! And it is fast! I had a Vista VM on my MacBook Pro 1.83, and it was so turgidly slow as to unusable. Windows 7 gets a higher Geekbench score than XP.

18. rlindsley

rlindsley Bit poster

I am having the same problem with Windows Live running on Win 7. After installing it, the whole VM hangs.

If you go to the Windows 7 page at Microsoft.com, it says:

"If you are using Windows 7, you'll want to get Windows Live Essentials." and then goes on to talk about its features.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

This implies to me that it's supported. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks,
    Robert.

19. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Everything appears to works except shared folders. See attached error screen cap.

Running 3810 and have tried with vm running as Vista and Windows 7 (experimental)

Attached Files:

20. wranglerdriver

wranglerdriver Bit poster

more info on windows 7 beta and parallels 4 build 3810

I reinstalled, and before i install parallels tools freecell and the media viewer work, but, as soon as i install parallels tools freecell and the media viewer freeze the vm when they start. i have to force stop.

unfortunately, without parallels tools networking does not work.