Can't connect to Internet on windows side using parallels!!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ANON, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Matthew Elmore

Matthew Elmore Bit poster

Please Help

I just switched to Mac and unfortunately I still need windows for some work but I cant get Parrallels to connect to the internet with windows 7 installed. I've tried the sudo kill thing - didn't work, I tried downloading the manual but either the solution to my prob isn't in there or I couldn't find it. in the web icon at the bottom of parallel it says its connected and I've tried all the various settings (shared : host) nothing seems to be working, and in 'control panel' on windows there are various drivers missing. Please help.

2. melindad

melindad Bit poster

upgraded to 4.0 & can't get on internet via IE8

I accepted & upgraded my MacBook Pro & iMac to parallels 4.0 and now I'm not able to get onto the internet via IE8 on either of them. My internet connections are fine on the mac os side of things. I have to run IE. Looked on this thread & can't follow well enough to fix the issue. I have tried resetting the network setting. I'm wireless using airport extreme. Help I've wasted hours today trying to make it work and I'm dragging out the damn Dell, but need some items that are on my mac desktop to upload.
    here is what came up for my network diagnostic: Last diagnostic run time: 11/04/09 16:22:19 Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Parallels Ethernet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Media disconnected
    warn Network adapter status not healthy
    action Manual repair: Reconnect network cable
    info User has reconnected the network cable
    info The network adapter is in a transient status, retrying...
    warn Network adapter status not healthy
    info Redirecting user to support call
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Make sure that VM is in Shared Networking mode. If this doesn't help, please click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all". Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

DavidL30 likes this.
  4. Max Arbos

Max Arbos Junior Member

Any idea when this will be fixed?
    I upgraded to 4.0 a while back, but rarely use wireless connection and now that I am trying, it does not work either.
    Hardwired ethernet cable cworks perfectly.

Holding 'Command' down while starting Parallels does not do anything.

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Make sure that VM is in Shared Networking mode. If this doesn't help, please click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all". Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

6. Jay Kapadia

Jay Kapadia Bit poster

Problem with connecting to the wireless internet connection

2120927 - Issue posted

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Interesting.. Please Right-click "My Computer" -> "Manage" -> "Device Manager", unfold the "Network Adapters" and send one more problem report.

8. calgaryboi

calgaryboi Bit poster

Same Problem

I have been having the same problem. I cannot connect to internet. Explorer will open but all webpages give me Error 404. It shows that it is connected to the network and I am able to use other items such as updates through the internet.

anyway

ID 5357796

9. OlaotanT

OlaotanT Bit poster

I've tried everything

Hi,

I've read the threads and applied the solutions yet none of them have solved my issue of getting internet access on my XP VM machine. I'm using wireless and my mac browses perfectly well. I'm using "shared networking". Heres my ID: 5840011.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, you definitely need to download and install the latest build of Parallels Desktop 4.0. The link for the latest build can be found here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5802 because Parallels Desktop prior to 3810 was release before the SnowLeopard appeared (and your current version is 3540)

11. OlaotanT

OlaotanT Bit poster

Thanks Elric. It's works perfectly well now!

12. fritzlmofred

fritzlmofred Bit poster

Hello, I'm using a macbook with snow leopard and since a few days parallels desktop 5. My problem is, I get no connection out of windows (win 7). I tried to find a solution in www or here, but I didn't get it solved. Please give a help :))))

13. NestorH

NestorH Member

Keeping this post alive--same problem!!

I've tried all of the variations suggested by different posters for getting my Win XP side to get Internet access. When I choose Shared mode and do a cmd>ipconfig, the system comes up with a self-assigned IP address. If I change to Bridged mode with the Default Adapter, then I get an IP address from somewhere (10.37.129.3 in my case). Neither scenario, however, results in getting an Internet connection to work on the Windows side.

14. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

15. NestorH

NestorH Member

Done. The report ID is 5913232.

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It seems that networking was switched to Shared not a long time ago before the sending the report. What goes on if wait say 30 seconds?

If this doesn't help, please start the cmd.exe one more time and enter following command:

netsh winsock reset

then Restart Windows and execute next command:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Restart Windows once again.

17. NestorH

NestorH Member

Tried your suggestions with no luck. I first waited 30 seconds and just for laughs checked ipconfig. Both the IP address for the device and the subnet mask were all zeroes. No internet connection. I then executed the two commands you suggested with restarts in between and after. Checked out ipconfig and saw that the IP address was self-assigned. No internet connection. I issued a problem report: 5915275
    Thanks

18. WBullard

WBullard Bit poster

I am having the same problem: no internet connectivity to Windows 7. On the mac I have tried the sudo killall command but it didn't help. Networking is set to Shared Networking.
    I filed a report 5918641.

I just purchased Parallels Desktop 5 today because I have a client who is using it. We have a conference call set for Tuesday to discuss a software program my firm sells and requires Parallels. I need to get this working soon but when I called the Pareallels support number I heard a message about a voice mail box being full. I've never heard that from a technical support company before. I assume the phones are down or something.

For what it is worth, I think the problem has to do with the fact my virtual machine does not recognize a network controller.

19. NestorH

NestorH Member

Confirming that your problem is not Verizon related

Are you having problems with internet access via Windows 7 always or just when you try to use a broadband card? In my case, I have no problems when I have a direct (ethernet) or WiFi connection. In both of those instances, I use bridged networking and the default adapter. It just gets fouled up when I use the broadband card.

20. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It seems that you need to install Parallels Tools. There should be a hint in the status bar about it, but it is hard to notice.. Click menu of Parallels Desktop "Virtual Machine" and choose "Install Parallels Tools" while VM is running. Please read carefully the message, you may need to manually start the installatioin of Tools if Autorun is disabled in Windows for some reason