Ubuntu 11.04 support for Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by BenBecker, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Zielgestalt

Zielgestalt Bit poster

Subscribing

2. RJW

RJW Bit poster

subscribing

subscribing

3. Been Told

Been Told Bit poster

Brand new user here. I saw PD on a friend's Mac and was eager to try it on my PC with Ubuntu 11.04. So, if you're looking to get my money, I suggest you guys release an update.

Subscribing.

4. vig20

vig20 Bit poster

Ditto

Also a brand new user here.

I would very much like to try out Ubuntu 11 with gnome 3, without having to do boot camp etc, thus Parallels support for this would encourage yet again Another Customer.

Thanks.
    -Will

5. JeanGa

JeanGa Bit poster

Subscribing

Subscribing...

6. friedmar

friedmar Junior Member

Subscribung too....

But as Lion is close I guess they will offer the Lion update (including Ubuntu 11.04) for $!!!

7. Mancorge

Mancorge Bit poster

Also subscribing. Same problem here... What's up more than a month already and no answer?

8. Mandolinplayer

Mandolinplayer Bit poster

Very frustrated here. Can someone from Parallels post to this forum and throw us a bone? When will be able to use 11.04. I made a mistake and upgraded to 11.04 not thinking there would be such an issue, now I am running in "gimped" mode with my guest. If I have to wait much longer, I will need to rebuild my VM, and at that point I am seriously considering taking my Parallels installation, as well as all of my clients Parallels installation an moving to fusion.

9. Leyla

Leyla Bit poster

Dear Mandolinplayer, unfortunately, at this moment we are not able to porvide you with the exact date when version 11.04 will be supported. However, for sure it will be done in the next releases.

10. Well, good luck there. You will find out that Fusion VMWare Tools do not support 11.04 as well. Apparently both companies are focusing their resources on those client OS's which really bring money. And Linux on OS X is apparently not one of those.

Frustrating, no doubt, but it's the way those two companies work. Well, all companies work, for that mater.

11. yobtah

yobtah Bit poster

12. Mandolinplayer

Mandolinplayer Bit poster

"Dear Mandolinplayer, unfortunately, at this moment we are not able to porvide you with the exact date when version 11.04 will be supported. However, for sure it will be done in the next releases."

Is there a release schedule you could provide (with the assumption that release dates can be moved?)
    Will this be paid release or will users get the fix for this issue for free?
    Can some of us users who need their Ubuntu boxes to work enroll in a beta testing program or something to get the code we need on our boxes?
    Can Parallels provide anything more than "If we don't have it n minutes, just wait longer"?

13. TJPile

TJPile Bit poster

Temporary Fix

All,
    I too was bitten by the Ubuntu 11.04 upgrade in Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac.
    *I booted normally and hit the "M" key to "manually" fix the problem occurring at boot. This got me to a bash shell.
    *I chose to reinstall the Parallels Tools from the Parallels menu so the ISO file would be mounted to the virtual DVD device.
    *Next, in Parallels, I mounted the image in Ubuntu with the command "mount -o exec /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom" (or whatever directory in /media or /mnt that you wish).
    *After the image is mounted in Ubuntu, run the command "cd /dev/cdrom; sudo ./install" This will start the installer script and allow you to use the script to remove the Parallels Tools.
    *The script should complete with no problems and ask you to reboot.
    *Reboot your VM and select "classic" at the login screen since you will be unable to run Unity without the Parallels Tools video driver.

This allowed me to at least use my Ubuntu VM without rebuilding. I hope it saves someone the hassle of starting over.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  14. BallO

BallO Hunter

TJPile, what kernel are you running (uname -a)? I've had nothing but problems trying to get PD tools to compile for 2.6.38

15. mac-addict1982

mac-addict1982 Junior Member

I understand that it takes some time for the updates. But I don't understand that it takes sooooooo long, especially after the lenghty beta stage of Ubuntu. PD does currently not support OpenSuse 11.4, neither the newly released Fedora 15, Kubuntu 11.04. Apparently, you guys focus on other things (citing your news : April 18: Parallels Transporter Launches on the Mac App Store, Makes the Move from a PC to a Mac Ease; May 11: Parallels Server for Mac 4.0 Mac mini Edition Launch Lets Businesses Run Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Linux Environments Side-by-Side on an Apple Mac mini).

And even more annoying that you don't even have a date yet when PD will support the new kernel and X.org-stuff. Please pay attention guys that the new linux kernel 2.6.39 has been released on May 19th, and that it will obviously be integrated into various Linux distros...

You guys release a paid upgrade every year, and one could therefore expect support for new Linux distros in a reasonable time.

16. NicholasM

NicholasM Bit poster

I'm not able to run Ubuntu 11.04 in PD 6 build 11994. Does any know if support has ended on PD 6, and will have to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 7 to get Ubuntu 11.04 added?

17. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hey NicholasM. Customer Support is aware of the issue between Parallels Tools and Ubuntu 11.04. Though I do not have a release date yet, I can tell you that the issue will be addressed in the next update.

18. ronchap

ronchap Bit poster

Just want to point out that there are issues with the latest Versions .08 of Virtualbox tools and Ubuntu 11.04.
    You can at least get to the Unity desktop. But there are issues trying to run applications that require 3D acceleration such as Stellarium.
    So it looks like all 3 dropped the ball. We are going to have to wait.

19. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

20. ronchap

ronchap Bit poster

Thanks for the update. Tools downloaded and installed just fine now under Ubuntu 11.04 64 Bit.