USB device problem since upgrade to Parallels 11

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GabrielLogan, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Br.uno

Br.uno Bit poster

i had some contact to the technical guys at parallels mid january, I even gave them access to my machine. they could not fix the problem and informed me they are working on it. but also in the latest version 11.1.3 (32521) the problem is still not solved.
    it can't be that hard to get in touch with paragon to fix the problem together...
    i'm very disappointed with parallels support!

Parallels User likes this.
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Please reproduce the issue and submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, to investigate further on this issue.

3. GibsonT

GibsonT Bit poster

I met with the same issue and logged a support ticket. ID is 93530827. This is a critical issue for me as the USB disks suffered damages from being unplugged unknowingly. Please help expedite.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  4. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi Gibson,
    In regards to your case, it is caused by ntfs driver (Tuxera NTFS, or Paragon NTFS, or NTFS-3g) incompatibility with Parallels USB driver. From what I see Development is currently working on it but I don't know ETA.

5. sukhbirsinghbadal

sukhbirsinghbadal Bit poster

To be clear, Parallels isn't the only virtualization solution to offer these capabilities--VMWare Fusion works similarly--but after evaluating a previous Parallels Desktop version against the competition, I choose Parallels and haven't looked back. It offers tremendous performance and deep integration with OS X.

6. Simon'

Simon' Bit poster

Any news on this issue?
    Thanks.

7. Br.uno

Br.uno Bit poster

This is ridiculous, there have been updates from Parallels and also from Paragon NTFS and the problem is still not fixed.... Maybe Parallels and Paragon should speak together?
    I'm currently trying to get away from Parallels since they are not able to fix such a important problem.

8. KevL1

KevL1 Bit poster

Hello I'm having odd problems too using Parallels 11.2.1 (32626) with current Linux Mint 18 and latest stable Ubuntu 16 builds where the external USB SSD drive is not mounted.
    I do see a device in lsusb but no /dev/sdb for example.
    Interestingly it works ok with the stock Ubuntu 64-bit VM (14.0), but a downloaded 32-bit version did not work.
    Perhaps the issue surrounds parallel tools install? version?

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, try to disable the USB 3.0 in VM configuration. Parallels Desktop has a problem with USB3.0 UASP protocol implementation. We are working on it.

10. KevL1

KevL1 Bit poster

Glad you are working on it too. If interested I traced the syslog and saw what looks to be a SCSI timeout. As a workaround I just added my USB vendor/product to the uar black list and I could mount my USB3 Samsung T3 SSD no problem.

11. MartinJ2

MartinJ2 Bit poster

I agree with user, that has written following answer:

1 - I Started Parallels Desktop but I haven't started any VM. Only Parallels Desktop is running.
    After that I connected my External USB Disk to my Mac but nothing happened. No disk visible on Desktop and no Disk appear on /Volumes/ folder.
    Report ID: 86521795

2 - So I stopped Parallels Desktop, disconnected my External USB Disk e reconnected to my Mac. Now the USB disk appear on Desktop (and obviously on /Volumes/ folder)...
    I started again Parallels Desktop and the USB icon stay on desktop...I can access to it.
    Report ID: 86522243

3 - At the end I started Windows 7 VM and attached the USB disk to VM (the disk is just connected to my Mac before to start Parallels).... I can work on it from VM. After I disconnect my USB disk from Windows 7 and reattach to my Mac (but the USB icon doesn't appear on desktop and no appear on /Volumes/)
    I can't access to my disk...!!! I have to stop Windows 7 Virtual Machine, Exit from Parallels, Disconnect my USB disk e RECONNECT it to my MAC...!!!
    Report ID: 86522681

Thank You, is important for me using external USB disk with some different Vm and reconnect temporarly to my Mac and website Mikonomi.dk... Tha worst is when Parallels is started, no VM started but connecting my USB DISK nothing happen...!
    Thanks for your help!

12. KevL1

KevL1 Bit poster

If useful to others here is my temporary work around that helps prevent a USB3.0 timeout occurring under latest Mint and Ubuntu distros

In my case I have a Samsung T3 SSD drive, the vendor ID and product ID can be seen in the /var/log/syslog when connecting the device:

usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=61f3
    usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=1
    usb 4-1: Product: Portable SSD T3
    usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Samsung

So to turn off uas for idVendor=04e8, idProduct=61f3 you can do this:

su
    echo "options usb-storage quirks=04e8:61f3:u" > /etc/modprobe.d/ignore_uas.conf
    locale-gen --purge --no-archive
    update-initramfs -u
    reboot

Should be all good again ;-) note this will drop back to block transfer mode so when it's fixed in Parallels you'll want to re-enable UASP transfer.

13. KentL1

KentL1 Bit poster

Great explanation, KevL1 - Works like a charm!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  14. PatrickL3

PatrickL3 Bit poster

Thanks KevL1, you just saved my day :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  15. MichaelE13

MichaelE13 Bit poster

I Agree with Kevl 1, that says,

f useful to others here is my temporary work around that helps prevent a USB3.0 timeout occurring under latest Mint and Ubuntu distros
    In my case I have a Samsung T3 SSD drive, the vendor ID and product ID can be seen in the /var/log/syslog when connecting the device:

usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=61f3
    usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=1
    usb 4-1: Product: Portable SSD T3
    usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Samsung

So to turn off uas for idVendor=04e8, idProduct=61f3 you can do this:

su
    echo "options usb-storage quirks=04e8:61f3:u" > /etc/modprobe.d/ignore_uas.conf
    locale-gen --purge --no-archive
    update-initramfs -u
    reboot

Should be all good again ;-) note this will drop back to block transfer mode so when it's fixed in Parallels you'll want to re-enable UASP transfer.

Kind regards,
    Michael Erichsen

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2018
  16. HanneB

HanneB Bit poster

I'm having the exact same problem on my Ubuntu but I was wondering what OS you were using? I'm seeing an idea for Linux commands but I wanted to know if I could use the same fix for my issue. Thanks

Kind regards,
    Hanne Torsten

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2018
  17. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, the issue is fixed in the Parallels Desktop 13. Support of uas implemented.

For earlier versions of Parallels please proceed with steps for disabling uas. It works on all versions of Linux