Windows 10 fails to boot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidB27, Oct 10, 2016.

1. DavidB27

DavidB27 Bit poster

Been using Parallels 11 and Windows 10 for a few months then upgraded to Parallels 12. All went fine until I did the windows 10 update. Since then the VM has failed to boot. It just tries, fails then restarts. Anyone else had this issue and any resolution?

2. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

try going to your VM configuration settings and changing the hypervisor setting to Apple hypervisor instead of parallels then startup the VM.
    You have to shutdown before you can change this setting.
    right click the VM in control center > click configure > hardware tab > CPU and Memory > Advanced settings > Hypervisor > Change to apple
    Startup Vm and see if the problem goes away. If it does you can try changing the setting back after you have successfully booted the VM

3. Sergii

Sergii Bit poster

Been using Parallels 11 pro and Windows 10 iMac27"5k for a few months then upgraded to Parallels 12. VM has failed to boot. It just tries, fails then restarts. Anyone else had this issue and any resolution?
    This happened on two iMac. Who can help pls !!!!.
    tandura@mac.com

4. Please check the VM file size (.pvm file)? Is it too small or it's ok?
    Also do you have any error message while you're booting your Windows? (for ex: no operation system installed)

5. DavidB27

DavidB27 Bit poster

Tried amending the hypervisor but still the same unfortunately. VM just keeps going to the select boot device screen then fails to start and repeats. Thanks for the info though - it was worth a go.
    Also checked the size of the .pvm file. Its 180GB at the moment which looks fine

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Share us the screenshot of BSOD or any other errors to check and assist.

7. RalphH2

RalphH2 Junior Member

I have the same issue. When I start Parallels, Windows starts automatically, after 30 seconds, I have a black screen and I can't move the mouse.
    It is not possible to change the hypervisor setting and it isn't also possible to stop windows starting.
    Also can not change something in the control center.
    Attached the screenshots

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Hello RalphH2, looks like it might be due to Windows update.
    may I know how long it been stuck on the same screen?

9. RalphH2

RalphH2 Junior Member

It been stuck on the same screen for hours after that the screen is all black.
    I think also that is since a Windows update. What can I do? How can I delete and install Windows 10 again? I'm not an Expert in this. Can you explain the steps or can you help me?
    Thanks

10. Please select Actions(on Apple menu bar) > Reset and check if that makes any changes.

11. RalphH2

RalphH2 Junior Member

Tried to do that but didn't work. 10 seconds after Windows starts I have a spinning wheel and the mouse is not working.

How can I deinstall Windows 10?
    Attached the screenshots
    Thanks

Attached Files:

12. FranciscoJ3

FranciscoJ3 Bit poster

Hello, I have the same problem!!!
    Javier A.

13. Did you try to reset your VM?

14. RalphH2

RalphH2 Junior Member

It is not possible to reset the VM because Windows starts after I started Parallels and I can not stop Windows to start

15. You can reset (Actions -> reset ) your Window VM om any stage.
    Also in VM configuration you can choose Option tab-> then Startup and shutdown and then- > never for the "Start automatically" option

16. RalphH2

RalphH2 Junior Member

Dear Maria,
    Sorry, but I don't know how to do that. Where can I find the VM configuration and where can I find Actions in the German OX? Is it in the Parallels Desktop settings?
    When I start Paralles Desktop Windows starts immediately and after 10 seconds the complete system is down. So I can not shutdown Windows.

17. Hello RalphH2, this article will tell you how to access your virtual machine's configuration.

18. FranciscoJ3

FranciscoJ3 Bit poster

Hello, I have reseted de VM, and all the same.

19. FranciscoJ3

FranciscoJ3 Bit poster

Hello, I have reseted de VM, and all the same. The Windows recovery installation to previous version window appear over and over again

20. OlegK1

OlegK1 Junior Member

I've also reseted VM and it didn't work either..