Win10 Boot Camp won't boot in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ThomasC9, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

On my iMac (2017) I installed MacOS 10.13.1, then Win10 Creator's Update in Boot Camp, then Parallels 13. I can add the Boot Camp Partition to Parallels, but it won't boot (see attached screenshot). I don't know what I did wrong... Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-09 um 22.23.00.png

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

3. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

Thank you for your reply! I tried it, but when I try to use the Boot Camp partition as source of the Hard Drive of the VM, it doesn't appear in the list.

4. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

I completely reinstalled macOS and Windows, but the problem still exists...

iciconnect likes this.
  5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ThomasC9, this issue might have occurred due to the Partition boundaries are not recognized correctly on the disk. File system may or may not be damaged.
    To fix the issue, please follow the steps provided mentioned below:

1. Check Windows hard disk for errors as described in this article.
    2. Start Parallels Desktop without starting you Boot Camp based virtual machine.
    3. In the menu bar choose Actions > Configure > Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings and in Boot flags insert:
    devices.sfilter.enable=0
    4. Now choose Hard Disk > Edit Partitions > EFI partition should be added.

iciconnect likes this.
  6. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean in step 4. I have two partitions in Hard Disk > Edit Partitions, the EFI and Data Partition (see Sreenshot). What should I do with these?
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-12 um 19.47.13.png

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. TimothyK1

TimothyK1 Bit poster

Having the same exact issue and what you have described above is not working.

8. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

9. TimothyK1

TimothyK1 Bit poster

Still not working for me even with the 13.2 update. I've since tried VMWare Fusion 10 and it work like a pro as a virtual machine and with bootcamp.

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @ThomasC9, have you tried unchecking "EFI" from the list of partition? If not, please try it and keep us posted the results. Thanks!

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @TimothyK1, can you please send us a problem report collected right after the error and a splash screen (Help menu > Send Technical Data...)? This will help us significantly, please reply me back with the report ID number.

12. TimothyK1

TimothyK1 Bit poster

Report ID: 227322908

Attached Files:

13. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

I tried it, but it doesn't remember it. The next time I look at the list of partitions, it is checked again. Still not working...

14. TimothyK1

TimothyK1 Bit poster

I'm having the same exact issue as ThomasC9. Thanks

15. MikaelB

MikaelB Bit poster

I just upgraded for adding support for boot camp when running from 10.13 host. I have the same issue. Boot camp not in list of hard drives.

16. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi MikaelB. Can you share a screenshot of this scenario?

17. MikaelB

MikaelB Bit poster

18. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Appreciate your time and effort on this. Please be informed that our engineering team is working on this issue at present. We'll keep you posted.
    ThomasC9 and TimothyK1, please delete the existing boot camp virtual machines (if there are any) on your computers and create new ones. If you succeed, but the shell error screen (like the one mentioned in the beginning of this thread) comes up again, disable the EFI setting for the virtual machine and let us know what happens next.

19. TimothyK1

TimothyK1 Bit poster

EFI will not stay disabled. I can uncheck EFI, the disk disappears from my desktop and then reappears a few seconds later. To be honest I'm over this software as of now and using VM FusionWare. This has been an ongoing issue for over 4 weeks now and this is software I use for work as a software developer.

20. MikaelB

MikaelB Bit poster

Any ETA regarding a fix for this issue?