Support for macOS 10.14 Mojave

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by BillS4, Jun 4, 2018.

1. BillS4

BillS4 Bit poster

I presume I'm not the only developer eager to try out the new shiny, but not on a production machine.

Is Parallels ready for Mojave, or do we need to wait for an update?

Thanks in advance

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Guys, we have released a hotfix for Parallels Desktop 13 version 13.3.2 which resolves graphics driver issue with macOS 10.14 Mojave virtual machines. You can download it via in-product updater (Parallels Desktop > Check for Updates...) or by this direct link https://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd13/ (requires manual installation). Full release notes you can find here: https://kb.parallels.com/124262

JohnB42, jvh and C.C.O.v like this.
  3. Michael@Parallels

Michael@Parallels Parallels Support

Sorry Bill, but no official information to share so far, macOS 10.14 Mojave has just been announced yesterday. Need to wait a bit :)

4. BillS4

BillS4 Bit poster

What? Wait? What kind of incompetent bozos are you guys? The keynote ended at least 10 hours ago. You better have it working by now, and there better not be any bugs in it. I want my money back! I have rights!

;-)

...just kidding. It would be great to have an ETA, even in broad terms. Please sign me up for that beta, whenever it happens.

Thanks!

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  5. BillS4

BillS4 Bit poster

In case anyone's curious, you can get it installed and not really functional IFF you disable networking, run in Coherent mode, use the Apple hypervisor instead of the Parallels one and enter your password on boot even if the user interface doesn't update. It's not even close to usable. The mouse and keyboard don't seem to function properly. At some point, I also got a dialog complaining about prldraganddrop or something like that being incompatible.

LucasT likes this.
  6. LucasT

LucasT Bit poster

I've just updated my beta VM to Mojave. When it is in fullscreen mode and I swipe out of it and back the screen refreshes :D

C.C.O.v likes this.
  7. chrisvire

chrisvire Bit poster

Michael@Parallels,
    This is important to Mac developers. If there is a way to sign up for a beta, I would like to know.
    Thanks,
    Chris

8. AndreL2

AndreL2 Bit poster

Exactly the same behavior here. Even when in coherent mode or windowed mode the screen stops refreshing after two or three seconds.

9. GrahamT1

GrahamT1 Bit poster

This is the biggest problem for me ;) Fresh 10.13.5 VM, updated to 10.14, vanilla settings. Looking forward to support from Parallels!

10. Dmitry@Parallels

We are yet to discover changes in the new macOS 10.14 and work on optimizations in future product updates. Whenever you come across any issues with macOS 10.14 Mojave - please send us a technical data report via Help menu > Send Technical Data...
    Make sure to leave a detailed issue description please. Thank you!

11. AlexanderD5

AlexanderD5 Bit poster

I've the new macOS 10.14 running on my machine in parallels VM.
    I installed macOS El Capitan and upgraded to Mojave from there...
    Be careful not to install the Parallel Tools otherwise you will end up with a black screens and render issues.
    Without the tools you are limited to 1024 x 768 without retina, but at least you can check out the new features and the new dark mode ...

12. RogerL7

RogerL7 Bit poster

I can confirm AlexanderD5's comments above. I was having the issue whereby I would need to swipe in and out of the desktop in order for my commands to refresh. I uninstalled Parallels Tools, and this seemed to fix that issue. However, then I lost network connectivity, so all of the cloud based features of Mojave were useless. Parallels Support I would say that this is quite likely a graphics issue.

13. Dmitry@Parallels

Yes, @RogerL7, you are right, this is graphics driver issue, we have reproduced this issue, investigating.

ChrisL15 and C.C.O.v like this.
  14. AlanWang

AlanWang Bit poster

Parallels graphics driver often has this problem, when macOS update or some older version macOS. Before Parallels fixed this problem, you could use Apple "Remote Desktop" connect to Mojave VM which already install Parallels Tools. The remote desktop could work, but remember to disable Mojave save energy to prevent VM sleep. The VM clipping board sync with macOS also need to disable.

15. SneWs

SneWs Bit poster

Since I didn't find a track or follow for a thread/discussion I'm just posting this here hoping I will get notifications when something new is posted.
    Current workaround for myself is to use Screen Sharing, works OK even with Parallels tools installed.

16. DBlakeley

DBlakeley Bit poster

When I open Parallels 12.2.1 on Mojave, I receive a pop-up

"To run virtual machines, please allow the Parallels components to load on your Mac.
    Open the macOS System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and click "Allow" next to the phrase about "Parallels, Inc.". Then restart Parallels Desktop from the /Applications folder.".

Even though I perform this action, Parallels will not load beyond this point. Realize that Parallels 12 is not the latest release.

17. Dmitry@Parallels

Guys, we've published a KB with the list of known issues with macOS 10.14 Mojave: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124453
    Please take a look. In short, we're yet researching the video driver issue, the only workaround is to uninstall Parallels Tools before upgrading to macOS 10.14 and NOT installing them after. This way maximum video resolution will be 1024*768, but at least it will work.

If you have already upgraded and don't have a backup/snapshot, remote to the machine and uninstall Parallels Tools.

18. Nicholas1

Nicholas1 Bit poster

Assuming Mojave will only work on a later version of Parallels than version 13; should I purchase Purchase Parallels this month would I be guaranteed a free upgrade to version 14?

19. Danil@Parallels

Danil@Parallels Staff Member

Hello Nicholas1, if you purchase a Parallels Desktop for Mac Standard Edition subscription or a Pro Edition subscription - you will be entitled to upgrades to new versions at no charge whenever these become available.

20. ChrisL15

ChrisL15 Bit poster

I've connected fine using Screen Sharing (although minimising the VM after each mouse click to get Screen Sharing turned on was.... painful!).
    But I cannot uninstall Parallel Tools. When I follow the instructions on the "Known Issues with macOS Mojave" article I just get the option to "reinstall Parallel Tools". I do not get a mounted DMG.
    "Uninstall Parallels Tools before the upgrade. Actions > Install Parallels Tools > open the attached disk in VM > Uninstall Parallels Tools."

21. JeremyS3

JeremyS3 Bit poster

I had the same problem. I found /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools/prl-tools-mac.iso on my host machine, copied it to the guest and opened it, and that mounted a disk that had an uninstall app.