Network Initialization Failed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StephenB13, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Sorry for missing your post with report number; I've sent you a private message regarding the issue.

2. PeterH35

PeterH35 Bit poster

This is happening to me all of a sudden as well.

Existing Mojave 10.14.5 guest (on Mojave 10.14.5 host) networking suddenly went dead after two years of use. Could not connect - comes up with a 169.* address and says the ethernet cable is unplugged. Tried every possible Parallels network adapter type and then decided the Mojave VM was corrupted, so I started a fresh install. During install, I get the attached message saying "Your Mac isn't connected to the internet".

Details:
    - Parallels Desktop for Mac Home Edition, version 14.1.3 (45485)
    - Host OS macOS Mojave 10.14.5
    - Guest OS macOS Mojave 10.14.5
    - Host OS can connect to internet no problems
    - A guest Windows 10 OS (running on the same Parallels installation) has no problems connecting to internet

Not sure what to do here.

Reproduce:
    - Download current macOS Mojave from App Store
    - Create bootable USB drive (using support.apple.com article)
    - Create new virtual machine
    - Boot from USB
    - Follow prompts
    - Failure when setting up network

Thank you for any help you can provide. This is really putting a damper on things for me...

Attached Files:

3. PeterH35

PeterH35 Bit poster

Note that my assumption here is that it was an Apple update that is causing the issue. It does appear that a macOS Mojave 10.14.5 guest will not be able to connect to the internet with Parallels at this time. Dead in the water. :|

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    To start investigation, please make sure that Adapter Type is set to e1000 (AFAIR it is Inter 82574x). Then start the Mac guest. Go to the Parallels Desktop menu Help -> Send technical data. Post here its number.

5. PeterH35

PeterH35 Bit poster

Hi Elric,

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

We'll take a look on the issue next week. So far please try the next:
    Switch the network adapter type to Intel 8254x (I was wrong in my previous post - 82574x is a e1000e which is unsupported) and Switch the networking type to Shared (now it is configured as bridged)

7. PeterH35

PeterH35 Bit poster

Good news - "Shared Network" w/network adapter type "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT" works. :) At least for now - I'm pretty sure I tried this already but I could be wrong.

Previously, I was using "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT" adapter but with either "Default Adapter" or a specific adapter (in my case it was "Wi-Fi"). This was so my network could assign IP, DNS, etc from a central router...which I need.

This is workable for now, but it would be great to have it working without Shared Network like it was previously.

Please let me know if there's a solution planned. I used Fusion for about 8 years before switching to Parallels because Fusion became an awful product. Outside of Parallels, there's really no other good option. Really hope you guys keep up the good work! :)

Thank you.

8. PeterH35

PeterH35 Bit poster

Elric,

For reference, attached are images of the network source and adapter options.

Note that I do not believe "Shared" is a "bridged" option. Previously, I was using either "Default Adapter" or "Wi-Fi" under "bridged".

Just so things are clear with "bridged". ;)

Attached Files:

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Glad to hear that it works! The bridged networking, especially bridging to WiFi, works only in a very narrow set of networks environment. The WiFi router must correctly reply to the DHCP requests:
    it should handle the "DHCP Client ID" dhcp option and ignore the DHCPAddress-field of DHCP-request. Otherwise router will give MacHost IP address to the Guest and Parallels will filter this (since this will break Mac networking). This is likely your case, since guest doesn't receive IP address. You can try to set "Bridged" to the WiFi adapter (not to the "default") and there will appear setting in the Configuration dialog for handling the option. But I doubt that it will help, since default setting is "Parallels Automatic DHCP Client ID" works fine.
    Also there are a number of other restrictions for environment, but they will rather confuse everyone here.
    It is strongly recommended to use default Shared Networking mode until you have a very specific need to use Bridged.

10. PeterH35

PeterH35 Bit poster

Just to share - I switched back to "Default Adapter" as a test and it's suddenly working. So I am now back to using bridged networking which allows the VM to look like a standalone node on my network.

Not sure why it glitched for a few days after three years of flawless use. I rebooted host and guest several times. Tried multiple configurations, etc but nothing worked.

During the several days of the VM not working, I believe I did reboot my router for other reasons, so it is possible this was the issue considering what you related about routers. It is a 2019 TP-Link router purchased in February, but hasn't been modified or had a firmware update for a couple of months. Entirely possible that the router had a glitch that somehow caused what you mention and the reboot resolved the issue.

In any case, I'm back to normal. And China is probably back to receiving a back channel to all of my internal traffic. o_O

Thanks again for your time and I hope this might add to your arsenal of suggestions for future users. :)

11. PrashantC

PrashantC Junior Member

ohh... tahnk you so much. it helps

12. PrashantC

PrashantC Junior Member

cool

13. ShlomieR

ShlomieR Bit poster

I was having the same issue. What finally fixed it was turning off Internet Sharing on my Mac

14. Hello, does the issue still actual?

15. ShlomieR

ShlomieR Bit poster

No. It was fixed by turning off internet sharing.

16. Abishek

Abishek Member

Hello @ShlomieR Thanks for sharing the information.

17. MrAyyoubSadrafe

MrAyyoubSadrafe Bit poster

i am using big sur now i get this problem
    Network Initialization Failed

i use all the solution what i read here but still not working at me and that problem happen only with big sur beta 4 and i make update today for beta 5 it's still the same problem

18. MrAyyoubSadrafe

please if any solution for this problem network initialization failed parallels big sur
    Technical report 347680944 has been sent to Parallels.

19. MrAyyoubSadrafe

please if any solution for this problem network initialization failed parallels big sur
    Technical report 347680944 has been sent to Parallels.

20. Thanks a lot for the provided information. We will investigate it and update you soon.