Windows 10 - Display driver failed to start

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by kevcollins, Jul 12, 2019.

1. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

I've installed Windows 10 on Parallels 14. Although my windows apps will run, they will no longer work in coherency. When I try to switch to coherence, I get a message saying "display driver failed to start" and then it switches to the basic driver which is unusable. I've tried to update the display driver within Windows device manager but it cannot find an updated version. How can I get my Coherence back?

2. @kevcollins and did you try to reinstall Parallels Tools manually?

3. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

Yes I did based on comments I found elsewhere in the forum but it didn't seem to make any difference and hit the same error.

4. In this case, please reproduce the issue, generate the problem report right after that and reply us back with the report ID.

5. RobertColeman

RobertColeman Bit poster

I think Driver is not installed properly

6. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

Maria, thanks for your help. I reproduced the problem and uploaded technical data. The report id is 317862067.

7. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

For what it's worth, this is the error I get when I switch to Coherence in Windows 10:
    upload_2019-7-18_7-28-21.png

8. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

Ideas? I haven't heard back since uploading the report...

9. Sorry for the delay in response, I've found a critical error in your report and forwarded it to the Parallels Engineering team for the further investigation.
    Once we get any update we will let you know.
    Thanks a lot for cooperation with us and your time.

10. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

Thank you Maria

11. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

Any news on this issue? I really want to get my Coherence back!!

12. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

Yes I did based on comments I found elsewhere in the forum but it didn't seem to make any difference and hit the same error.

13. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

The problem has been fixed with assistance from the Parallels help desk through ticket 2637729. There were some Parallels configuration settings that were changed, most notably Resolution was set to be best for external displays (since I have one) and not the defaulted Best for Retina Displays

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  14. @kevcollins thank you for sharing your experience.
    BTW during the remote session Parallels Support Engineer performed the following steps:
    1. Increase RAM and Graphics memory in virtual machine configuration.
    2. Reinstalled Parallels Tools.
    3. Changed the view option to 'Best in external display'

15. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

16. Could you provide us with more details about this issue? Did you get it after upgrade? Also could you generate the problem report please?
    Reproduce issue -> create the report with these steps and please reply us back with the report's ID.

17. KeithM7

KeithM7 Bit poster

Hi I think I am seeing the same issue with my configuration. Was a resolution found?

18. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

Yes, see the posts #3 and #4 prior to your post.

19. KeithM7

KeithM7 Bit poster

Thanks. I missed the increase RAM part. I will see if that does it. Thank you for letting me know.

20. kevcollins

kevcollins Junior Member

That may play a key part but In my case, I believe the view option "Best foe external display" was the most important since I'm using an external display.