When a VM starts, Earpods stops functioning

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DenizC1, Dec 22, 2019.

1. DenizC1

DenizC1 Junior Member

When listening a video in Safari through Earpods, I start VM. The sound continues without a problem. However, when I stop the video, and restart, even the Earpods are connected the sound does not come back.. However, if I select Internal Speakers, the sound comes, and if I switch back to Earpods, it does not.. There is no connection problem.. When I shutdown the VM and cycle a start/stop to the video, the sound comes back to the Earpods..

The bottom side: I cannot listen through Earpods when there is a Parallels machine running..

2. DenizC1

DenizC1 Junior Member

Disabling Parallels Audio Controller in Device Manager solved the issue.. However, that disabled Windows 10's sound system..

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. Did you reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue?

4. DenizC1

DenizC1 Junior Member

Yes I did.. Also when I start a machine that does not have parallel tools installed, such as Acronis ISO, it caused the same issue..

5. Which version of Parallels Desktop are you using?

6. DenizC1

DenizC1 Junior Member

I am using Parallels 15.1.2 on Catalina on MacBook Pro 13.

Today I created a new machine with Windows 1909. Disabling the device, disabling audio from the hardware tab did not work.. When I was listening to something and boot up the machine earpods work OK. But if I pause wait a few seconds and resume the audio, there is hiss in the Earpods but the sound.. Looks like Parallels is in between and filters out the audio.. Only resolution is shutting down/suspending the machine..

7. JonathanV2

JonathanV2 Bit poster

Just wanted to bump this thread; I am having the exact same issue. As a multi-OS developer, this *really* breaks my workflow. Sound is broken in 15.1.2. I thought it had to do with AirPods Pro, but now it's happening all the time without any Bluetooth headphones connected.

Sound will be working fine, then I fire up the Windows 10 VM and at some stage the sound just stops working. Sometimes stopping the VM fixes the problem, sometimes I have to reboot the Mac. It's bad, guys. Is this a known issue? Any fix?

8. JacquesJ

JacquesJ Bit poster

The same problem with Windows 7?

9. JonathanV2

JonathanV2 Bit poster

Just an update: I tried uninstalling 15.1.2 and installing a fresh copy of 15.1.1... Same problem! Audio just becomes unresponsive, randomly. The only fix is to close Parallels. Then you can restart it, and it may work for a while... Would love some more feedback.

10. DenizC1

DenizC1 Junior Member

Not tried yet..

But this bug would be a nasty bug to track for Parallels Team.. I bought 16" Macbook Pro, so far so good.. I will try clean install on Macbook Pro 13".. I hope I can do it soon, because I have only 1 license, and Parallels do not allow repeating trials on same machine..

11. DenizC1

DenizC1 Junior Member

Poor you.. I am also multi-OS developer.. I am jealous of developers who work on single thing..

Did you install VMware Fusion side by side Parallels? I am using Parallels trial on 16" MBP right now, I installed only a few IDE's and Parallels.. So far so good.. On my 13" I installed and removed Fusion to test. I removed it because it hogs the poor device, fans were continously spinning.. Parallels' USB support is not as good as VMware's.. USB connected debuggers do not work good with Parallels, but they work flawlessly with VMware.. Now I reboot into bootcamp if I need to debug somthing via USB..

I think it is better to have a Windows laptop on hand..

12. FranciscoP2

FranciscoP2 Bit poster

Hello, I am having the same problem with my Powerbeat Pro, for almost a month. It happens that previously had Mojave with Parallels 14, then Upgrade to Catalina with Parallels 15, all good until when Catalina was updated to 10.15.2 ( at beginning of December) . I thought it was firmware problems of my hearing and I updated it, but the problem persisted. I was hoping that with the last update of Parallels the problem would be solved but unfortunately not.

As happens to #DenizC1: being with Safari watching a Video for a small pause that occurs, they disconnect, and it is only solved if I suspend the virtual machine, put the video and then Resume to the Virtual Machine. In my case I do not have problems with Windows 10 as a Virtual machine, mine is given specifically with Windows XP, I work with Both separately and even at the same time, but it is not until Pause that VM having Windows XP and then Resume is when problem is solved (for a While), because when change to other video (or next for a play list) it stop again.

Searching the Network I have tried to delete the file com.apple.Bluetooth.plist, turn off and on the Bluetooth, etc. And nothing works. I arrived at the Solution to Pause and Resume the Virtual Machine but it is annoying because for every video or music I listen to it is disconnected and I repeat the same thing several times in 1 hour.

13. YashO

YashO Junior Member

The same problem with all the Windows 1909, and Windows 7 if you don't have EarPods connected, still the facing the same issue, kindly release an update this is a very bug for researchers, developers and every multi os user.

14. SkipH1

SkipH1 Bit poster

I'm seeing the same problem connecting Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. Bluetooth audio on the Mac side works perfectly until I start my Windows VM, and then the audio stops. The headphones appear to be connected and audio controls work (pause, play, etc.), but no sound. As soon as I shut down the VM the Mac audio works again.

15. netmaster_yisu

netmaster_yisu Bit poster

Apple AirPods not working with Host OS X Catalina, Parallels Desktop 15.1.2 (47123) and guess is Mojave

I recently upgraded to OS X Catalina 10.15.2, then I upgraded to Parallels Desktop for Mac 15.1.2 (47123), I have a couple of VMs, some Ubuntu and some OS X running Mojave. With Parallels Desktop 14 everything was working fine. Now after the upgrades I cannot use my AirPods v1 on the guest OS X boxes.

Any glue how I can solve this problem??

PashaA likes this.
  16. Same problem here. Macbook pro 16'' and Airpods Pro

PashaA likes this.
  17. PashaA

PashaA Bit poster

Its really frustrating issue. It happens to me as soon as I start parallels VM (Windows 10), sound stops working for bluetooth or Macbook Pro (MacOS 10.15.2) speakers. An interesting side note if you're using an external monitor with speakers they'll work. The only solution to get sound back on your Mac is to do reboot. I think it might have something do with Apple working on speaker issues with MacBook Pro 16inch occasionally popping sound issue in the 10.15.2 patch.

18. PatrickM3

PatrickM3 Junior Member

Hi guys - I had the same issue - my bluetooth headphones (both apple Powerbeats and AirPods) would cut out on me if I had a VM running in the background - I think I've found a workaround that you may want to try.

In Settings - Try changing the hypervisor type from Parallels to Apple - that seemed to do the trick for me.

I've let the parallels tech team know about this and the work around. try it and let me know if it works for you.

cheers
    Patrick

poksh and SkipH1 like this.
  19. SkipH1

SkipH1 Bit poster

Changing the hypervisor type to Apple fixed the issue for me. Thanks Patrick for the tip!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  20. PatrickM3

PatrickM3 Junior Member

glad to hear it.