Parallels Tools for Kali Linux 2020.1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by cas, Jan 27, 2020.

1. cas

cas Bit poster

Hey, I took the time to make an account here cause I am fairly frustrated over the installation of Parallels Tools.

Like many of you, Kali Linux users know, the 2020.1 version has just been released. And for that I am happy, but what I'm not happy about is what occurred when I tried to install the new patch...
    Well first of all the Parallels Tools got automatically uninstalled, so I lost my fullscreen feature.
    Also after a solid 15 mins of trying to sort that out, my screen went black - tried to restart and shutdown, but to no help... This resulted in me loosing around a year of coding and "furnishing".
    Anyhow, after a couple of hours I was back, bareboned none the less, but back.
    I have now tried for probably an hour to install that damned Parallels Tools which is REQUIRED for it to run in fullscreen and scalable resolution.
    I have tried the old method of mounting the image to cdrom0, and it worked... or so I thought before I got an error and gave up.

So I came here for help. And I hope I could get some assistance here, cause I would be annoyed if I had to turn back to VirtualBox, as I find Parallels to be much smoother... When it actually functions that is.

Here's the log file from /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log

Hit:1 http://kali.download/kali kali-rolling InRelease
    Reading package lists...
    Return code from apt-get update is 0
    2020-01-27T13:55:25+0100: execCmd: ./installer/pm.sh --install gtools --logfile /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log [0]
    Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '14.1.3.45485'
    Hit:1 http://kali.download/kali kali-rolling InRelease
    Reading package lists...
    Return code from apt-get update is 0

Error during report about start installation of parallels tools.
    Mon Jan 27 13:55:29 CET 2020
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    new version of parallels tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    make: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Will use compiler CC="cc".
    Compiler version "cc (Debian 9.2.1-22) 9.2.1 20200104"
    cd prl_eth/pvmnet && make CC=cc
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make -C /lib/modules/5.4.0-kali2-amd64/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet CC=cc
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-amd64'
    AR /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.a
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-amd64'
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && make CC=cc
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make -C /lib/modules/5.4.0-kali2-amd64/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg CC=cc modules
    sh: 0: Can't open /usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/scripts/mkmakefile
    make[4]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/Makefile:513: outputmakefile] Error 127
    /usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/Makefile:659: include/config/auto.conf.cmd: No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/Makefile:677: include/config/auto.conf.cmd] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/Makefile:179: sub-make] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make[1]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/Makefile.v26:18: prl_tg] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    make: *** [Makefile.kmods:50: compile] Error 2
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error during report about failed installation of parallels tools.
    Error: failed to install Parallels Guest Tools!
    2020-01-27T13:55:32+0100: Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '14.1.3.45485'

Error during report about start installation of parallels tools.
    Mon Jan 27 13:55:29 CET 2020
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    make[4]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/Makefile:513: outputmakefile] Error 127
    /usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/Makefile:659: include/config/auto.conf.cmd: No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/Makefile:677: include/config/auto.conf.cmd] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/Makefile:179: sub-make] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/Makefile.v26:18: prl_tg] Error 2
    make: *** [Makefile.kmods:50: compile] Error 2
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error during report about failed installation of parallels tools.
    Error: failed to install Parallels Guest Tools!
    2020-01-27T13:55:32+0100: execCmd: ./install --install [167]
    2020-01-27T13:55:32+0100: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.
    2020-01-27T13:56:02+0100: Exiting with code 1

2. Hi, could you also please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.

3. cas

cas Bit poster

Hey! I've done this now - Report ID: 331716906

4. Thanks a lot. You're running Parallels Desktop 14 on macOS Catalina, right?
    Actually Parallels Desktop 14 isn't fully compatible with the latest macOS version.
    Could you test the same behavior with the Parallels Desktop 15 and let us know how does it work please?

5. cas

cas Bit poster

Oh, I didn't know. I'll test it out and update you on how it goes.
    Thanks

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  6. Stef3

Stef3 Bit poster

Hello, cas,
    I have the exact same problem. Have you found a solution yet?
    @paralells: How is it possible that I have to buy a new parallel version every year to keep my virtual machines alive?

7. MarcoF4

MarcoF4 Bit poster

I I am on Parallels 14 with Mojave and I have the exact same issue. Any feedback ?

8. MarcoF4

MarcoF4 Bit poster

Actually, mkmakefile is missing from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-kali2-common/scripts/
    Also users in WMARE community have issues .I do not think that it is a Parallels related issue at all.

9. Scott12

Scott12 Bit poster

Yes, I am also running Parallels 14 on Mojave and am having the exact same problem. I installed all the pre-reqs as outlined here before running the parallels-tools installer:
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/123968

I walked through the /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log and I believe the issue has to do with a missing mkmakefile that parallels-tools is looking for when compiling (I see the exact wording as in the originally posting log output). I have confirmed it does not exist:

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!!

10. MarcoF4

MarcoF4 Bit poster

Well... I have it working. Unfortunately (for some) the solution was for me to upgrade to Parallels 14 (still on Mojave). Kali version 2020.01 .
    Before I also trying adding a copy or mkmakefile from https://github.com/Re4son/gemini-kali-linux-kernel-3.18/tree/master/scripts but beside being a not so good idea it just caused other errors less identifiable.
    I was lucky to have my licence still covering the upgrade to v 15.
    What I can say is that maybe, under v 15, the script test to try to use a non existing mkmakefile is not triggered and therefore is not an issue any longer.
    I hope it helps. If anyone finds another solution it will be instructive to learn.

11. YunfeiY

YunfeiY Bit poster

I met the same issue, and now I make it work.
    Just upgrade to Parallels 15, everything will be fine.

12. Stef3

Stef3 Bit poster

Maybe it will help when you have access to the latest parallelsTools iso and install them?

13. Guys, if the issue still persists please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.

14. PhilT4

PhilT4 Bit poster

Hello. My apologies; I am having problems replying. However, this issue IS persisting. And I just replicated and used Send Technical Data to create 337244629, which includes screenshots and the error log. I have also been able to start with the 2019-2 version of Kali, install Parallels Tools, run all of the updates, and then my cursor disappears (https://kb.parallels.com/122903).

I am running Parallels Version 14.1.3 (45485) on macOS 10.14.6. I am unsure why the answer seems to be "pay money to upgrade to Parallels 15."

15. d4Rk

d4Rk Bit poster

Same issue here, using Parallels 15.1.3 (47255) with Kali Linux 2020.1b.
    -> Technical report 337926616 has been sent to Parallels.

I really like Parallels, and it can be running very nice/smooth, but it's really a pain in the a**, after each upgrade of either the VM OS or Parallels, until you get back there.

16. GianB

GianB Bit poster

I appreciate some assistance too.
    After some GUI problems on Kali after installing PT, I decided to install Kali afresh -- However with this latest version, I'm not able to install the PT at all.

My Technical Report is: 338148461

Details:
    Kali: Fresh install from ISO version: 2020.1b
    Parallels Desktop for Mac: version 15.1.3 (47255)
    Mac OS Catalina: 10.15.4 (19E287)

17. ZacharyP1

ZacharyP1 Bit poster

Same issues
    My Technical Report is: 338166955
    Details:
    Mac OS Catalina: 10.15.4

18. clure

clure Bit poster

Exact same issue; can you please patch urgently ?
    I cannot use my Kali any longer....

19. TheMusicalTech

TheMusicalTech Bit poster

Also same issue, Kali is working and I have fiddled with it so that it's usable. It's not ideal, since I can't copy/paste files between MacOS and Kali though.

Parallels Desktop Version: 15.1.3 (47255)
    MacOS Version: 10.15.4
    Technical Report ID: 338230701

20. ZacharyP1

ZacharyP1 Bit poster

This issue is fixed for me, after updating Parallels Desktop to 15.1.4 (47270). New PT version resolved the issue for me.