Parallels build 3214 and Leopard?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robsoft, Oct 26, 2007.

1. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

My copy of Leopard just arrived. I plan to install it over the weekend, once I've got a good full backup of my current machine on an external firewire.

Just wondered if anyone here was still running 3214 and had had a chance to run it in Leopard yet? I'm still using 3214 (rock solid, stable WinXP day-in, day-out) and am hoping that it plays nicely with Leopard. I will upgrade to the current Parallels if it won't work with Leopard, but obviously if it does run then I'd prefer not to have to upgrade (at least for the next few months).

Anyone tried this combination yet? I'm on a first generation MBP, Core Duo 2Gb ram if that makes any difference.

Cheers!
    Rob

2. scthkr

scthkr Bit poster

I'm going to try it...

I just did a backup of my entire system. I'm running 3214, and can afford a day or so of down time if this doesn't work to roll back.

I'm on a 2nd gen MBP if that matters. I need USB hardware support in Parallels, other than that, I'm a pretty basic windows user of WinXP SP2. I need Parrallels for 1 engineering app that has a USB hardware key. No games, etc.

Wish me luck...

3. Aussie Laurie

Aussie Laurie Bit poster

Just installed Leopard on my Macbook. I'm on Build 3214 and XP is opening just fine. So far have tested Dreamweaver, MS Office apps and Quickbooks and they all work fine.
    Whew.

4. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

Thanks. I'll go ahead and start it myself, then.

Cheers!

5. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

Build 3214 works for me, but I experience two problem on both my MacBook and iMac. When I close the window, it saves the virtual machine state, no problems there. But when I want to resume such a machine, Parallels loads it and stays responsive, but the virtual machine does not work, it won't let me do anything. I have to stop the machine and reboot it.

And application icons don't display correctly in the Dock, I only see a little Parallels icon.

Not sure if everybody has this problem, I can confirm this problem on two computers running Leopard.

6. David5000

David5000 Pro

What is your guest OS? Also, I assume you are not using Boot Camp?

David

7. Aussie Laurie

Aussie Laurie Bit poster

I have checked again - still on 3214 (I do not use Boot Camp) - and I do not have the issues that G-Force has. I am using Coherence and not Spaces.
    I'm on a MacBook with 1G RAM, btw. Maybe if you have only 512k you might have problems. I think XP, and the apps too, are loading more slowly than under Tiger.
    Cheers, Laurie

8. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

Windows XP Professional SP2. I will try to install a new machine because I copied the folders of my machine over. And I'm not using Boot Camp. :)

When this occurs, the Parallels process also uses 100% of my CPU.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  9. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

I have the same build (as mentioned in the first post) and this is happening for me too. Won't resume a suspended machine, just 100% CPU on one of the processors and a 'hung' machine. Windows XP Pro SP2, no bootcamp, 16Gb virtual drive on the MacBook Pro's internal drive, original MacBook Pro (Core Duo) with 2Gb ram.

I'm hoping that some kind of solution or work-around is possible for this, otherwise I guess I'll have to upgrade.

10. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

I reinstalled Windows XP within Parallels, the problem still occurs. It also still occurs when I uninstall Parallels and install it again.

11. hilljl1

hilljl1 Bit poster

Sorry if this is a duplicate . . . my system hung while I was posting . . .

I am having the same issues as G-Force and robsoft. I just installed Leopard as well and things run smoothly with Parallels . . . UNTIL I try to suspend and resume my guest OS. It requires a force reset.

Build 3214 -- Windows XP Pro SP2, no bootcamp

12. kap

kap Bit poster

Exact same probem, exact same Parallels and Windows XP versions, no bootcamp. Parallels becomes much less convenient to use without the ability to suspend and resume Windows.

13. David5000

David5000 Pro

Any problems with suspending the VM that others are reporting?

David

14. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Our QA Team is currently investigating these reported problems.
    We'll update you on the situation when the bug will be confirmed and any updates/workarounds will be available.

15. scthkr

scthkr Bit poster

Just confirming what other's have been seeing. I have a macbook pro 2nd Generation, Leopard, and WinXP SP2 with no bootcamp.

I am not able to startup from a suspend. Parallels does not freeze, just the guest OS. I let it try to startup for over an hour. On the mac, it says the CPU usage for Parallels is at 104%. For those curious, the dual core machines can actually go up to 200%.

If I do a full restart of the guest OS, I am able to run just fine. I am able to use my sentinel USB key to get Zemax to run.

Cheers, and good luck to the Parallels team!

16. tji

tji Bit poster

Me Too

I am also having this same problem -- VM hanging after suspend.

I am using Parallels 3214, and my Guest OS is Win2K.

17. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

Thank you, I'm looking forward to news about these issues (suspend, icons). :)

I also got a Kernel Panic once when I started the machine. It doesn't happen all the time though.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  18. Trideep Gogoi

Trideep Gogoi Bit poster

So Will 3124 Be Still supported? I am happy with 3124 and do not want to upgrade to 3.0 Just for Leapord. Will Parallels be Getting out a fix for Build 3124? Or will the update only work for 3.0?

19. burn_101

burn_101 Bit poster

I truly hope so....

I only purchased my copy of Parallels (which is awesome!) towards the end of last year. It would be asking a lot for me to have to fork out extra cash to upgrade to solve a small problem. Hopefully they do the right thing and support this version for the life of Leopard.

20. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

I can't start Parallels anymore on my MacBook, everytime when I start a virtual machine I get a Kernel Panic. I guess I'll have to install Tiger on my MacBook as I need Parallels for school.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007