High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. AlexanderN4

AlexanderN4 Bit poster

Hi John

I logged into my account and found my old perpetual license for Parallels 12 was showing in my account (from when I probably first installed Parallels Toolbox).

I am guessing that the license key you put into Parallels Desktop didn't get copied into the Parallels Toolbox install so its telling you its not valid on the new license.

If you are seeing this error please try logging into your account and use your subscription license key to activate the new Parallels Toolbox (and try uninstall the toolbox fully and then install it again new / from parallels desktop) with your subscription key so you keep getting updates / be able to install.

Regards
    Alexander

2. AlexanderN4

AlexanderN4 Bit poster

I have now gone through this process
    1. Install new parallels toolbox using the option in the Parallels Desktop menu bar
    2. Open Parallels Toolbox in the menu bar once installed
    3. Click "I have another key" in Parallels Toolbox when it says your license is invalid for this version
    4. Put in your *subscription* serial number from your parallels account (Into Parallels Toolbox)
    5. Login to your parallels account inside toolbox
    6. It should then activate and tell you it is updated.

Regards
    Alexander

3. ParallelsU374

ParallelsU374 Bit poster

Happening to me...10.15.3 and latest parallels. Activity monitor kills them off...

4. Ader

Ader Bit poster

This works for me! Thanks a lot.
    (Was running Parallels 15.1.2 with Toolbox 2.6.1)

5. MikeV5

MikeV5 Bit poster

Same problem here.

<vent> This is ridiculous. Nobody from Parallels can solve this problem with Parallels? Maria@parallels' suggestion was a fine attempt at page 1 but we're now at page 5 with no resolution. I'm getting embarrassed for Parallels at this point. I like the program and have recommended it and installed it on about 25 clients' machines. But this is not the tech support I would brag about. I'm glad that force-quitting this seemingly meaningless process solves is an adequate workaround but this should by no means be an example of quality support or programming.
    </vent>

6. Hi, please let us know what is your Parallels Toolbox version?

7. ThomasX

ThomasX Bit poster

Hello
    i have the same issue with bstar, its launching dozens of this process literaly killing my 2 macs

i have:

PD : 15.1.2 (4723)
    PTools : 2.6.1 (1620)
    Mac Catalina : 10.15.3

still no fix for this issue ?

8. Hi Thomas, Parallels Toolbox 2.6. doesn't compatible with macOS Catalina. Could you please update your Parallels Toolbox to the latest build and check the issue.

9. MikeV5

MikeV5 Bit poster

Hi Maria.. the version that my client is using is Version 2.0.4 (1219). Is there a version that I should install that resolves this problem? I'd be most grateful. Thank you!

10. Are you using this Toolbox version with MacOS Catalina? This issue has been resolved at the latest build.
    and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

11. MariusS2

MariusS2 Bit poster

Same Problem here. Parallel Pro 15.2.1 / Catalina.

12. And which version of Parallels Toolbox are you using?

13. MariusS2

MariusS2 Bit poster

version 3.1.1. is installed but not activated.

14. The bsdtar process issue has been resolved at 3.8.0. version. Could you please check this issue with the newest Parallels Toolbox issue?

MarkusW5 likes this.
  15. ChristopherH4

ChristopherH4 Bit poster

This type of response is UNACCEPTABLE. I would totally understand if parallels toolbox just did not work with newer versions of macOS but it is actively detrimental to customers' computers!! Your old software shouldn't grind my computer into the ground because of its misconfigurations to the point where I have to completely uninstall it; at the very LEAST you should back-port a fix to prevent this out of control resource consumption regardless of version!
    I had 14 bsdtar processes this morning, each using 100% CPU which made it nearly impossible to even navigate to the activity monitor to kill them.
    This kind of ABYSMAL business practice is why I recommend VMware Fusion to 100% of the people I work with, and on every review I leave of your software when I see it advertised at online retailers. NEVER AGAIN.

16. EdwardC2

EdwardC2 Bit poster

This is ridiculous. Deleted Parallels Toolbox and whala.... more more burning not laptop, no more CPU 99% x 20!!! TWENTY! No wonder my very, very stacked computer couldn't open a Word file at the same time as a MS Project file. Get your stuff together Parallels.

17. MarkusW5

MarkusW5 Bit poster

Dear Maria. Please be aware that upgrading to 3.8 is not free of charge. It solved my issue yes. But I have to buy a Toolbox Licence. I do own a valid Parallels 15 license as you can see in my account. I received the following message from your support: Please be informed you that, your Parallels Toolbox subscription has expired, since you have got Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac Perpetual edition and we don't see any additional purchase for Parallels Toolbox. https://kb.parallels.com/124228 Thanks, Parkunan.

In addition your marketing department did not outline that Toolbox is not part of Parallels anymore when i upgraded from 14 to 15.

18. The bonus software (that come with Parallels Desktop) policy has been changed after the Parallels Desktop release.
    Now when you purchase perpetual license you will get only 3-month of Parallels Toolbox and Parallels Access.

19. marcog9

marcog9 Bit poster

20. marcog9

marcog9 Bit poster

Maria... thanks, but the issue with BSDTAR has NOT been fixed with the new rev of the Parallels toolbox or application released. I rebooted by Mac (yes, I have all the latest Catalina, Parallels, Parallels kit versions) and there were 7 bsdtar processes active and ran my computer into the ground... had to manually go into monitor and kill these.
    Please fix! for good... Thank you!