Parallels in Catalina: Office 365 (in Windows) crashes the Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RolandB8, Oct 13, 2019.

1. TroyW

TroyW Bit poster

just download and install version 14, it will then install the correct version of parallel tools in Windows, that's it. Thankfully it's an easy process. I've gone back and forth serval times. Here is the download link from the Parallels site: https://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd14/

RichardC26 and MaikS4 like this.
  2. MuratS1

MuratS1 Bit poster

Hi, have the same issuse MacMini 2019 with eGPU using Word locksup the whole mac also using Chrome sometimes.

BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available

3. MaikS4

MaikS4 Bit poster

Bump. have we heard from Parallels on this issue yet? This is preventing me from using Parallels flat out. I rely on the improved graphics acceleration in V15 and am using eGPU. This combination is toxic at the moment and completely crashes my complete mac every time after a few seconds of running the VM. I am really worried I am causing permanent damage to my MacOS installation this way. Hope to have this resolved soon!

4. ArtS1

ArtS1 Bit poster

I too have had this issue recently. Any updates on resolution? Does going back to v14 resolve the lockup issues when using an eGPU?

5. DanielM46

DanielM46 Junior Member

Yes, uninstalling 15, and reinstalling 14 completely resolves the issue. I have been unable to use Parallels Desktop 15 on my 15" MBP (2018) with a Radeon RX 580 eGPU because Outlook for Windows (Office 365) randomly hangs, then crashes the Catalina as well. It has made Parallels 15 completely useless to me. As a result, (and with absolutely no help or information from support except to use the old version of Parallels) I am looking for another solution so I can stop using Parallels and Windows completely.

6. DanielM46

DanielM46 Junior Member

With no information, and no hint that a solution is likely, what should we do other than stop using the product? Repeatedly crashing the host system isn't an option.

RichardC26 likes this.
  7. UweR2

UweR2 Bit poster

Using a MacBookPro 16" 64GB 2TB. Brand new win installed.
    VS2019 crashes and restarts nearly every time.

8. JeffN825

JeffN825 Bit poster

Same here. @parallels - should we request a refund? What's the story here?

9. RichardC26

RichardC26 Bit poster

I've got some good news..
    I updated my mac OS to 10.15.4 beta 3 couple of weeks ago, and this fixed some issues i was having with my eGPU. I also noticed windows 10 latest update fixed some issues with bootcamp that existed in 1903/1909 update during last year.
    Given mac and windows running better i decided to try parallels again with version 15, and so far i have not had same issue for good 20 odd hours of usage.

Just confirm i'm running
    macOS 10.15.4 Beta (19E242d)
    Parallels Version 15.1.3 (47255)
    Windows 10 (1909) - OS Build 18363.720

I'm expecting macOS to release 10.15.4 soon, i will upgrade to the final release.

Overall so far, running all the latest updates seems to have fixed the problems, but i been here before..

10. Hi RichardC26. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue and thanks for sharing the information. Please get back to us for any further queries.

11. RightBoy

RightBoy Bit poster

Parallels 고객센터에 문의하여, 몇 번의 메일을 주고 받던 끝에 기술팀 답변을 받고 문제를 해결하였습니다.

그것은 가상 컴퓨터 구성의 하드웨어 탭에 있는 부트 플래그를 추가하는 방법입니다.
    부트 플래그 "video.metal=0"를 입력하니, 계속 shutdown되던 문제가 해결되었습니다.
    (부트 플래그 입력을 위해서는 가상 컴퓨터를 완전히 종료해야 합니다)

아마도, Metal 기능을 오프하는 설정이 아닌가 짐작되어 그래픽 성능저하 등의 영향이 없는지 추가 문의하였습니다.
    그러나, 그렇지는 않다는 답변을 받았고, 실사용에도 성능저하를 체감할 수는 없었습니다.

Attached Files:

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  12. SidneyR

SidneyR Bit poster

same problem here (freezing and restarting mac after opening some office 365 app on win10 using parallels)... but my setup is a imac pro (base model) + blackmagic egpu + apple pro display xdr
    i'm running
    macos 10.15.3
    Parallels Version 15.1.3 (47255)
    Windows 10 (1909)

13. Hi, did you perform any resolution steps? Office app reinstallation? Windows selective startup?
    Could you also please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and VM crashed and then post the report's IS here.

14. SidneyR

SidneyR Bit poster

15. SidneyR

SidneyR Bit poster

thanks for trying to help me
    for me, 10.15.4 did not solve my problem.
    Which tech report file should I post here? It generates many files.

16. Hi, just please check this KB article (how to create a tech report) and collect the tech report and then post the report's ID here.
    Also (it's important) please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced.

17. SidneyR

SidneyR Bit poster

i sent it. The id is 335929816.
    remembering that I can only generate the tech report after the mac reboots, because it freezes completely and restarts.

18. CarlM5

CarlM5 Bit poster

Same issue 2018 Mac mini, Parallels 15, Windows 10 image, Bad Magic whenever I do anything. Technical report 336376762.

19. Just for test, could you please change the Parallels hypervisor to the Apple hypervisor and check the issue.
    Please let us know how does it work for you.

20. CarlM5

CarlM5 Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    I did try that and the problem still persisted. I eventually just downgraded from PD15 to PD14 and it has been running stable. I put in a help ticket and they asked me to uninstall PD15, run first aid on the drive and reinstall. The help desk response didn't specify which volume to run first aid on (boot volume, volume with application or volume with image). Also, since my (and everyone else's) life is now tele-work, tele-school, tele-shopping, tele-everything I'm hesitant to run a process on an otherwise totally stable system as this problem is specific only to PD15.
    Thank you for your help!
    -Carl