Parallels 15 sometimes freezes host system, sometimes won't start on mojave

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RossK2, Sep 2, 2019.

1. JeromeL5

JeromeL5 Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue and each time it freezes; I have to reboot the whole mac; and then I lose all my work in my Windows 10 partition; can someone please help to resolve this from Parallels? why is there is fixes out yet???

2. Hello,
    could you collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced please?
    Also please post the report's ID here?

3. CalebT

CalebT Bit poster

I am having the same problem as everyone here. Parallels works great for the last 3 years and now after 15 update, I am having issues. Its weird because its been working fine for months with the 15 upgrade and now I am having issues with freezing like everyone here. I use a macbook for systems administration because when things are broken, I don't want windows freezing up on me and preventing me from resolving an issue. Now, my macbook is freezing while running parallels to the point where I can't do anything. I guess I am going to revert back to v14 but I really wish I didn't have to do that. Parallels, I have long been a fan but the lack of attention to this issue is frustrating.

jimnap likes this.
  4. CalebT

CalebT Bit poster

Report ID 343209724 has been submitted

5. batoP

batoP Member

yes, I also got the same problem, I freeze, you say to get the tech report and send it to you, but it freeze I can't do anything even to get the tech report , I have found it is not CPU, It is high disk IO. so all the system, include host MacOS did not respond to any action. slow slow. even to reboot it impossible. no way, then power off mac, after reboot mac then to start parallels it also begins high IO to disk. then freeze. the interesting thing is after several times power-off and reboots it becomes normal. parallels ver 15.1.4 (47270) mac os Catalina , but it also occurs previous version of OS and parallels.

jimnap and CalebT like this.
  6. ParallelsU370

ParallelsU370 Bit poster

Does anyone have a guarantee solution to fix this problem??

7. MarcusH8

MarcusH8 Bit poster

Downgrade to Parallels 14 worked for me.

8. GregF5

GregF5 Bit poster

I downgraded to parallels 14 (trial version since I upgraded from desktop 13) and everything runs fine again but this is kind of besides the point. I like, many of you shelled out the $$ to get the latest greatest version of desktop and it does not even work. I am running Mojave on a mid 2015 MacBook pro i7. Has parallels come out with a fix yet?

9. CalebT

CalebT Bit poster

Still having issues. I can work for a few days with no problems and then randomly out of nowhere Parallels freezes up and the entire system becomes unresponsive. Can't downgrade to 14 because I only have purchased licensing for 15. Parallels 15 on MacOS Catalina v. 10.15.5. I opened Report ID 343209724. Where is the traction on this issue?

10. CalebT

CalebT Bit poster

Hello. Thanks for the response Maria. The crash does not seem to occur after launching any specific application. For instance, Parallels desktop was working fine for the majority of the day yesterday but around 4PM, I installed some updates on the VM and it locked up. If you right click on Parallels desktop in the dock, it says "application not responding" and asks if you want to force quit. I had to force quit Parallels and then MacOS starts responding again. I would send a technical analysis while the freezing is happening but I can't navigate to the help tab while the freeze is occurring. Ill see if I can narrow it down to a specific application but it is sporadic.

11. HugoP

HugoP Bit poster

Hey everyone,
    I started getting this problem out of nowhere and I can confirm I'm also seeing high disk IOs (36GB read in something like 30 minutes). After a long wait I managed to force quit the VM and Parallels and my system went back to normal.

12. JohnH54

JohnH54 Bit poster

I've also just been hit by this problem in the last few days. Parallels is now constantly causing my macbook to freeze making it impossible to get any work done.

13. CalebT

CalebT Bit poster

The lack of communication from Parallels here is astonishing. I'm on the verge of leaving the platform altogether due to this. upload_2020-7-30_9-21-42.png

14. CalebT

CalebT Bit poster

Well, I do have some good news. I uninstalled Parallels Access and Parallels Toolbox and that seems to have resolved my issues. I run teamviewer as well so maybe access and teamviewer were fighting each other. I'm really not sure.

15. batoP

batoP Member

16. StuartS4

StuartS4 Bit poster

Roughly how long does prl_disk_tool check take to check a 200GB .hdd file on an SSD? Is it normal that it makes the performance of the entire Mac glacial? Button clicks take multiple seconds to process, loading web pages takes forever, the fans run continually - although prl_disk_tool itself is using only 36.5% CPU.
    What do people do if this problem persists - does throwing away the VM image and reverting to a backup fix it? Does using a different hypervisor help? All I see here are complaints of the same symptoms I have - Windows hangs at the 'checking disks after improper shutdown' screen for what seems like forever. If I let it run for a few hours, when I come back my Mac's screen is black and I can't wake it back up, I can only hold down the power button to force-shutdown the Mac, and I'm back to square one.

PFC974 and batoP like this.
  17. batoP

batoP Member

Good explain, Good, It really dose. Mine is almost the same pattern.

18. PFC974

PFC974 Bit poster

I got the same problems Like you all...
    so much time lost waiting for getting my computer running well back and sometimes for only a few days... and it starts To Freeze again and again and again ...
    Don't know what to do really...
    I worked with Parallels 9 And Windows 8 for 5 years it was quite ok, and even when it was frozen just have to force to quit and launch again immediatly without any problems and no time wasted with « veryfing disk after unproper shutdown...
    Please help !

19. PFC974

PFC974 Bit poster

I was thinking...
    Are all those troubles fixed up with parallels 16 ???

20. HugoP

HugoP Bit poster

I haven't experienced any issues after upgrading to Parallels 16 but it's a bit too soon to tell