Complete uninstallation of Parallels Desktop 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SteveS1, Feb 13, 2015.

1. SteveS1

SteveS1 Bit poster

Hi all,

After evaluating Parallels Desktop 10, I've decided to run OS X and Windows separately as I really have little need to run Windows as a VM and so have uninstalled Parallels from my Mac. However, I am having trouble completely removing all aspects of Parallels from both Yosemite and Windows 7 - in particular the shared applications. OS X is still trying to load certain file types using Windows programs, and the list of shared Mac apps still appears in Windows 7.

An example:
    [​IMG]
    From the screenshot, you can see that OS X is still trying to open .rar files using the shared WinRAR program from Windows 7, despite having uninstalled Parallels from my Mac (by moving it to Trash and emptying Trash) and changing the default application for this file type. Of course, this is only a minor issue, but one which is time consuming as each time I try to load a file type associated with a shared Windows program, I get the following error message and have to select the correct OS X app from a menu:
    [​IMG]

I have searched for help completely removing Parallels Desktop 10 both on the Parallels website and elsewhere, but have so far not found anything to solve this problem. If anyone can help me here, I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks!

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi Steve,
    To uninstall Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac completely from your Mac, please follow the steps provided at: http://kb.parallels.com/122653
    If you would like to remove/delete your Virtual Machine and re-install it, please follow the steps given in this link: http://kb.parallels.com/5029
    Feel free to get back to us, if you need any further assistance.

3. HenrikB

HenrikB Bit poster

I just can't erase 3 icons left on Launchpad after uninstall: Win81 Applicacions + 2 (different) Stardock Utility. It is crazy that Parallels doesnt include a complete and reliable uninstalling app for theirs own software! Among other problems ...
    Facts: installed Parallels Desktop 10 in a Mac Pro (late 2011 with Yosemite) and installed Win 8.1 with "Menu win7 option". It never worked: internet was dead, USB connections erratic and the damm cursor never worked at the corners in Win8.1 VM. And the dock-list was allways in the way so I never got to Windows apps! I decided to uninstall Parallels completely, and install it again but with Win 7. Just for peace ... I am a beginner with Mac but I managed to uninstall all of PD 10 EXCEPT these icons. Searching around I found hundreds of Mac users that have problems erasing empty icons in Launchpad! It's a shortcoming in OS but as there are plenty of Parallels users that reasonably has same experience, the problem should have a standard procedure for You at Paralles Inc. I wanted to ask for support at Parallels.com and it is impossible, you allways ends here at the Forum or at Twitter. And there are many many treads to follow up at this Forum, it is overwhelming! Why not a normal mailadress for support?! I'm shurely not the only one with this problem!!
    Back to the point: how do I get rid of these icons, leftovers from Parallels Desktop 10 after uninstall? And if it is too complicated for a non-technician, would these icons interfere with a fresh install of same software ( PD 10) ? Otherwise I plan to reformat the HD and start all over again ... probably without PD. No reason to have a buggy software.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

5. HenrikB

HenrikB Bit poster

Thanks Manoj, it worked ... as far as I know.
    As I wrote I had already removed PD-10 and only 3 orphans icon was left in Launchpad and it was impossible to get rid of them. I just wanted to get them out before reinstalling PD-10 and needed assurance from You (Parallels own expertise) that it wold be ok to do this or that. In KB 112798 the suggestion was to remove only 1 of 2 folders, I removed both (yes! I had 2 "WIN81 Applications" folders but only 1 showed up in Launchpad. In Launch I had 2 more icons generated by Stardock Utility, these never showed when cleaning (see KB 112798) but disappeared when Win81:s icon was gone.

I can guess somehow the connections between one to other but I do not feel comfortable with Parallels uninstaller. Does you people really know what is left, where and why? I do not expect an public answer to such a question but please note that it is impossible to get in contact to yours Support when PD-10 has been uninstalled. I always ended here at Forum, I could NEVER get in touch with Support.

6. NickK9

NickK9 Bit poster

I think this is unacceptable that you don't offer a full blown uninstaller to remove EVERYTHING you've done
    For example, if you double click a .ini file with Finder, it still tries to open it in Parallels after doing every single step listed in the KB.
    This does not completely remove the app from our systems -- PLEASE give us instructions on how to remove _EVERYTHING_ -- yes, EVERY modification that the Parallels uninstaller made, I want it un-done

7. Hi NickK9. To completely uninstall Parallels Desktop, you can also download, extract and execute this uninstaller utility: Parallels Desktop Uninstaller. This utility will remove Parallels Desktop with all its cache and system files, except for the licensing information. Your virtual machines won't be affected if they are stored in the usual location: ~/Users/[username]/ or ~/Users/Shared/
    This utility is not registered by Apple, therefore to run this utility you will need to do the following:
    1. Open the Downloads folder in Finder
    2. Locate the Parallels Desktop Uninstaller.zip
    3. Double-click on the archive to extract the app
    4. Press Control(Ctrl) key and click on the app
    5. Click Open and one more time select Open from the pop-up dialogue.

8. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

I receive the following error when attempting to run the "Parallels Desktop Uninstaller," nothing is removed.

The action "Run AppleScript" encountered an error: "Terminal got an error: /bin/sh: /private/var/folders/mj/y71nxtr52m96vwh8rzp7qlg80000gn/T/AppTranslocation/B088D8B3-AA35-49F9-8FBE-58CB29BB7E03/d/PDremove.app/Contents/PDUninstaller.sh: No such file or directory"

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know the macOS X and Parallels Desktop version you are using.

10. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

Hi Ajith, thank you for the reply.

Much later version, Parallels 15.1.4 and Mojave 10.14.6. I've moved to a new machine and can't get any USB to work with the VMs. I've been trying to do a clean uninstall, reinstall of Parallels with the script listed and with PDRemove hoping that might solve the problem. Neither seem to be working fully.

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Add Parallels Desktop to Accessibility, Full Disk Access under Security and Privacy > Privacy on System Preferences and check if it resolves the issue.

12. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

Thanks Ajith, but I have precisely the same results, the same error listed above with the above linked Automator document and the same results with the PDRemove Automator document. There are still lots of Parallels files left throughout the drive.

How does one completely remove all traces of Parallels Desktop and start fresh?

13. Hello, please check your inbox.

14. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

Thanks to both of you, but I still receive the following error when running this:

The action "Run AppleScript" encountered an error: "Terminal got an error: /bin/sh: /private/var/folders/mj/y71nxtr52m96vwh8rzp7qlg80000gn/T/AppTranslocation/462D072E-08AA-4B95-89D1-3406407879A0/d/PDremove.app/Contents/PDUninstaller.sh: No such file or directory"

Based on that I open the Automator document and ran in terminal;

sudo "path to the file" Uninstaller.app/Contents/PDUninstaller.sh which is the script that is called in the automator workflow.

I received the following output:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon.plist: No such file or directory
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/pvsnatd.plist: No such file or directory
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.parallels.desktop.launch.plist: No such file or directory
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.parallels.desktop.launch.plist: No such file or directory
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.parallels.DesktopControlAgent.plist: No such file or directory
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.parallels.DesktopControlAgent.plist: No such file or directory
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.parallels.vm.prl_pcproxy.plist: No such file or directory
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.parallels.vm.prl_pcproxy.plist: No such file or directory
    No matching processes were found
    /Users/buzz/Desktop/Parallels Desktop Uninstaller.app/Contents/PDUninstaller.sh: line 92: kill: (2471) - No such process
    (kernel) Kext com.parallels.kext.netbridge not found for unload request.
    Failed to unload com.parallels.kext.netbridge - (libkern/kext) not found.
    (kernel) Kext com.parallels.kext.prl_netbridge not found for unload request.
    Failed to unload com.parallels.kext.prl_netbridge - (libkern/kext) not found.
    2020-06-08 00:24:37.924 defaults[2485:83721]
    The domain/default pair of (/System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext/Contents/Info, CFBundleIdentifier) does not exist
    2020-06-08 00:24:37.937 defaults[2488:83729]
    The domain/default pair of (/System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext/Contents/Info, CFBundleIdentifier) does not exist
    2020-06-08 00:24:37.949 defaults[2491:83737]
    The domain/default pair of (/System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext/Contents/Info, CFBundleIdentifier) does not exist
    2020-06-08 00:24:37.960 defaults[2494:83745]
    The domain/default pair of (/System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext/Contents/Info, CFBundleIdentifier) does not exist

Yet when I try to reinstall after that I see the message "Removing The Previous Version" during the install process and precisely the same USB issue remains as before. Even Control Center still lists my VMs. Only two USB devices (always the same two) show up in the menu for "Devices>USB & Bluetooth". Plugging in a basic thumb drive still connects to the Mac and never shows up in the "Devices>USB & Bluetooth" menu. No matter what option I select "Ask me what to do," "Connect it to my Mac" or "Connect it to the active virtual machine" these have no effect. It would still seem something corrupt is still being left behind.

I have created a separate post regarding that issue, but have not received a response. I had hoped that a complete uninstall and reinstall would correct this, but I have mot been able to achieve this yet.

15. redmetz

redmetz Bit poster

Hey guys,
    the script isn't working for me. Even with full access for Parallels, it doesn't remove anything. And I'm kinda mad, because I just don't understand, how a company like Parallels can make it sooo hard, to completely remove a program like that. Even Adobe has a remover... So are there any news regarding the complete removal of parallels? I also have a lot of stuff from parallels now in my bootcamped Windows. Is there maybe a way, to remove ALL the parallels traces?

16. Hello, please check your inbox.

17. JohnM91

JohnM91 Bit poster

I just wanted to Evaluate parallels, and have decided against it. I have the same removal issues as the other users in this thread. How about a list of all files added to my system so that I can uninstall them manually? So far I've found /Library/Parallels , what else is there (aside from the obvious /Applications/ directory) ? What file type associations have been made that I need to worry about?

18. Hi you can check this KB article for more info.
    Or use any cleaning app.

19. PeterZ5

PeterZ5 Bit poster

I'm also trying to uninstall Parallels 15 because it lost a pvm file and every time I unistall (even with a cleaning app!) and reinstall it, the old VM configuration shows up again. How the heck can I COMPLETELY uninstall Parallels 15 from my MacBook? Catalina 10.15.6

20. You can remove VM just by right clicking on it and choose "Move to bin"